Jordan Peterson

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
brainbomb

Jordan Peterson

#1 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Jamiet99uk

Re: Jordan Peterson

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Jordan Peterson is like an idiot's version of what a smart person should be like.

He is an academically lazy, arrogant, self-satisfied prick who has realised he can gain fame and money by exploiting dimwits on the alt right who want to feel clever and don't like having their outdated, backward, conservative views challenged.

Fuck Jordan Peterson.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Never heard of him, although Jamie's ringing endorsement is enough to make me think he's worth a listen when I've nothing better to do.

I'm curious as to what inspired the thread, though, especially with a four year old link

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:57 pm

saw videos on tiktok and found it oddly amusing

DrugTito

#5 Post by DrugTito » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Dont dive deep into that black hole, tiki taki did you a disservice there.

Le Plume

#6 Post by Le Plume » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:58 pm

he is an interesting communicator with wide following. I should say devoted following. Like people really like him.
Now by communicator I mean that he really flourished on youtube and other technology platforms. Over time and with greater popularity he started to give public presentations, lectures and speeches - like for a profit.
Looking at some of his original videos, he is really into Jungian psychology. In particular he likes to do a Jungian analysis of the bible. Of Moses and all those biblical people. Thing is, anybody can do this and make it look good. In fact, you can do a Jungian analysis of anything, be it the brothers Grimm, Arthurian legends, and produce compelling interpretations.
I did like the argument Peterson had with Roger Scruton over the role of transcendence. Peterson says you can encounter transcendence in a mosh pit during a a punk rock show. Scruton says no way. True transcendence is more likely to being in a Scottish highland folk dance. I agree with Scruton.

Fluminator

#7 Post by Fluminator » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 am

That video is 5 years old already, get with the times.

He's currently interviewing Wim Hof the Ice Man with his daughter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ALm2M09qA

After watching this I've stated taking ice cold showers.

Fluminator

#8 Post by Fluminator » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:00 am

Jordan Peterson has well over a 1000 hours of content on youtube, way more than anyone person can watch. Like anyone with 1000 of hours of content online, there's things I both agree with and disagree with in what he says.

I find him very interesting when I'm in the mood, but a lot of what he says is kind of common knowledge or relatively simple concepts in very drawn out linguistic jargon lol.
But he's had a few things I've watched where it was like "woah that's a really cool way to think about something"

The elephant in the room that made him famous was the backlash to him saying he didn't think pronoun usage should be enforced by law. That's an extremely small part of what he does and tbh I forgot that was a controversy surrounding him already because it's such a small part to his online identity lol.

Fluminator

#9 Post by Fluminator » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:12 am

Octavious wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:44 pm
Never heard of him, although Jamie's ringing endorsement is enough to make me think he's worth a listen when I've nothing better to do.

I'm curious as to what inspired the thread, though, especially with a four year old link
When Canada enacted a law to enforce people use the pronoun usage that the person wants you to use, he said that was a terrible idea. This resulted in students protesting and demanding he resigned and it was a pretty big deal in that area.

Joe Rogan did a podcast with him (and that's how I first heard of Peterson) which boosted his popularity in the internet-verse quite a bit. His youtube channel had all his university lectures posted on it so he gained a bit of a small cult following by then.

He was then interviewed by Cathy Newman on channel 4 news and it went viral and made Peterson famous outside the internet sphere. (I recommend watching this video if you want an intro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

There were quite a few other controversies that boosted his popularity like a U of Toronto TA getting suspended for showing a video of Peterson in one of her classes, as well as a few other viral videos where news people are trying to frame him in the worst possible light but he usually maintains his cool and turns it against them. They're fun to watch tbh.

He recently went off the grid for over a year and almost died due trying to get off a benzodiazepines addiction and he's only recently been healthy enough to start doing more videos again.

I am also curious what triggered this topic though haha.

Le Plume

#10 Post by Le Plume » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:24 am

Fluminator wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:12 am
Octavious wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:44 pm

When Canada enacted a law to enforce people use the pronoun usage that the person wants you to use, he said that was a terrible idea. This resulted in students protesting and demanding he resigned and it was a pretty big deal in that area.

Joe Rogan did a podcast with him (and that's how I first heard of Peterson) which boosted his popularity in the internet-verse quite a bit. His youtube channel had all his university lectures posted on it so he gained a bit of a small cult following by then.

He was then interviewed by Cathy Newman on channel 4 news and it went viral and made Peterson famous outside the internet sphere. (I recommend watching this video if you want an intro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

There were quite a few other controversies that boosted his popularity like a U of Toronto TA getting suspended for showing a video of Peterson in one of her classes, as well as a few other viral videos where news people are trying to frame him in the worst possible light but he usually maintains his cool and turns it against them. They're fun to watch tbh.

He recently went off the grid for over a year and almost died due trying to get off a benzodiazepines addiction and he's only recently been healthy enough to start doing more videos again.

I am also curious what triggered this topic though haha.
Time to watch that Cathy Newman video again. It was quite shocking to see him flip the table. Even Peterson critics would agree that he had point on her style of journalism.

As for the TA, the great irony is that the clip she showed was from "The Agenda", Canada's most mundane news broadcast, hosted by a public broadcaster. How a show made for policy wonks could stir such controversy is funny.

Le Plume

#11 Post by Le Plume » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:54 am

what a video!