US federal death penalty

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

US federal death penalty

#1 Post by orathaic » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:53 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55513158

Look, I'm against capital punishment at the best of times. But this case just seems insane.

Who in their right mind strangles a pregnant stranger, cuts out their 8 month fetus, kidnaps it and tries to pass it off as their own child?

And as such, how is the death penalty effective at preventing crimes committed by people who are clearly not in their right mind?

It reminds me of recent arguments against beating your children. If they are capable of rational arguments, use words, if they have not, then there is no point in beating them.

And I have to say, if you want to use the death penalty as a deterant, take a senator who downplaying a virus while buying stocks (insider trading) in a company liable to benefit from a pandemic. Like if you execute someone who abused their power while clearly capable of working out the effect of their actions (over 300 thousand deaths so far, at least partially attributed to this fraud), then at least you might have some positive effects...

Octavious

Re: US federal death penalty

#2 Post by Octavious » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 am

My experience of legal cases is that the people who make the judgements tend to have had a huge amount more time and information about the case than the interested spectators. On the face of it she seems as mad as a box of frogs, but I am no medical expert, and the experts that have considered the issue have said she was fit to stand trial and face the consequences.

Personally speaking, if she was mad then executing her would be a kindness. The alternatives being keeping her alive in a perpetual hell in her own diseased mind, or (even worse) curing her and letting her come to terms with what she'd done. The cruelty of either action is not one I could countenance.

Generally speaking I tend to favour the death penalty, although the way the US puts it into practice leaves a great deal to be desired.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: US federal death penalty

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:00 pm

All.i said was that the Trump Dynasty fourth generation should consider acting with their own self interests foremost and smother with pillows and their confected & affected affectionate embrace their sleeping Patriarch whose head uneasily wears a Doomed Crown. I never described it as a federal death penalty or directly suggested that. I merely hinted at an act of compassionate internal regicide.