Vote wait times (comparison)

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Vote wait times (comparison)

#1 Post by orathaic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:21 am

Just looking at tweets like this, how long have various people had to wait to vote?
longest time, shortest time. Also how far did you have to travel? And what country are you in? (also please include if your country didn't allow you to vote so you had to wait until they changed the law)

https://twitter.com/Sharrow_irl/status/ ... 81985?s=19

Octavious

Re: Vote wait times (comparison)

#2 Post by Octavious » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 am

Ah, what have I missed over the last week or so?

...virtually nothing it seems...

I get the impression that this isn't going to be the most comprehensive of surveys, but for what it's worth never more than a ten minute walk and never more than a couple of minutes queuing.

What I am amazed by is the new American habit this election of queuing for hours in order to vote a month early. Are these people complete idiots? It would be a great boost for US democracy if they burned all these ballots and stuck to people who demonstrate a smidgeon of common sense.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:38 am

The polls are open for a whole month?

Weird.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am

Octavious wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 am
It would be a great boost for US democracy if they burned all these ballots and stuck to people who demonstrate a smidgeon of common sense.
Typical fascist wanting to burn ballot papers. Sad! :lol:

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am

Aww, Jamie's first political post since the weekend is replying to me. I didn't know you cared ♡

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by flash2015 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 am
Ah, what have I missed over the last week or so?

...virtually nothing it seems...

I get the impression that this isn't going to be the most comprehensive of surveys, but for what it's worth never more than a ten minute walk and never more than a couple of minutes queuing.

What I am amazed by is the new American habit this election of queuing for hours in order to vote a month early. Are these people complete idiots? It would be a great boost for US democracy if they burned all these ballots and stuck to people who demonstrate a smidgeon of common sense.
It is because voting in the US is completely messed up. I don't know why it is so hard. Even in the primary, where only a small percentage of the people vote, the line to vote in our local polling station was several hundred meters long.

You ask why do people wait in line? Because it isn't guaranteed that it will be easier to vote later.

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am
Aww, Jamie's first political post since the weekend is replying to me. I didn't know you cared ♡
I care deeply about defeating you and all those who you stand with.

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm

I wasn't aware we were in competition. Perhaps you mean you care deeply about defeating Everton FC? You surely can't be talking about the Lib Dems as, well meaning as they are, beating them is about as difficult as beating an egg :?

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm
I wasn't aware we were in competition. Perhaps you mean you care deeply about defeating Everton FC? You surely can't be talking about the Lib Dems as, well meaning as they are, beating them is about as difficult as beating an egg :?
The Lib Dems and the Conservatives, who you constantly defend.

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:30 pm

Jamie, the elections aren't going to happen until 2024 and I have no idea what side I'm even going to be on. You don't think that you're jumping the gun a tad on political battle front? I'm not often one to be critical of those showing enthusiasm for getting stuck in, but perhaps it might be good for you to take a break? You have been particularly angry lately. It can't be good for you.

Jamiet99uk

#11 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:30 pm
Jamie, the elections aren't going to happen until 2024 and I have no idea what side I'm even going to be on. You don't think that you're jumping the gun a tad on political battle front? I'm not often one to be critical of those showing enthusiasm for getting stuck in, but perhaps it might be good for you to take a break? You have been particularly angry lately. It can't be good for you.
For years now, you have enthusiastically and energetically defended any conservative who has been criticised in this section of the forum.

During the Con-Dem administration in the UK from 2010 to 2015 you posted frequently about your deep admiration for David Fucking Cameron, George Cunting Osborne and Nick "Weasel" Clegg, declaring them to me to be the politicians who you felt had best represented your own views at any point in your adult life.

When Jeremy Corbyn became Labour leader you became a cheerleader for every lie told about him, going so far as to say to me, in a debate on this forum, that it "did not matter" if David Cameron told lies about his opponents, as long as some of his remarks were "in the general direction of the truth".

More recently you have declared yourself a Liberal Democrat as if this makes you a saint, whilst also defending Donald Trump at every opportunity, and arguing passionately in favour of Boris Johnson's handling of the UK / EU trade negotiations, enthusiastically passing off every lie, every U-Turn, every fuck-up as part of a brilliant "negotiating strategy" that will surely lead to the UK getting a great deal.

Boris's declaration today that the negotiations are over, and that a "No Deal" Brexit is now the likely result, should prove to everyone that you have been talking out of your arse the whole time.

I am sure, however, that you will tell us this is simply Boris's latest superb negotiating trick.

You disgust me.

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 pm

As I say, particularly angry of late. You'll do yourself a mischief if you're not careful.

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 pm
As I say, particularly angry of late. You'll do yourself a mischief if you're not careful.
I am confident that everything I have said about you is in the general direction of the truth, and I stand by my remarks. The world would be a fairer and nicer place if there were fewer people like you.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:04 am

One of these days, mate, I have no doubt you will regret your remarks and the angry little shite you've become. Until that happens feel free to live your life as a caricature of the perpetually irate northern leftie thrashing about in impotent rage. I assure you that I'm not too bothered, but do worry a little about you making miserable the lives of those close to you if you're anything like this in real life. Ultimately only you can drag yourself out of the gutter. There are plenty who can help, but first you have to want to leave.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#15 Post by flash2015 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:56 am

Oh please. No one believes you have the high moral ground here, troll.

I know you were trying to provoke an emotional response with your stupid and ignorant comment:
"Are these people complete idiots? It would be a great boost for US democracy if they burned all these ballots and stuck to people who demonstrate a smidgeon of common sense."
Spare us your fake condemnation and concern. You got the response you wanted.

Octavious

#16 Post by Octavious » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:28 am

Flash, you have long since abandoned any claim at reason and are pushing the boundaries of harassment. If you continue down this route I'll have no choice but to ask the mods to take action.

Jamiet99uk

#17 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:56 am

Well that racist shit is getting reported.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#18 Post by orathaic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 pm

Why are wait times so long in the US?
I would speculate. It takes longer to verify id (tighter id laws have been used for voter suppression, as 'undesirable' groups are less likely to have valid id).

There are less staff (likely argued as a cost saving measure).

If people didn't vote in the last election (because the lines were so long) and they use this to justify cutting the staff numbers... Which results in longer lines, and hence less voters, rinse, lather and repeat...

Again part of voter suppression.

Likely also varies by area. Not all Americans are likely to see this as a problem. That way there is no widespread support to tackle the issue (not sure myself who has the power to address) and likely opposition can be targeted for poor service.

There is a factor not present in most other democracies, in parliamentary democracies like the UK or Ireland, the parliament and only the parliament is directly responcible for making sure the elections happen. And they are more directly held accountable by the electorate as a whole

I have literally no idea who is responsible in the US. Federal? State? County /City?
if Federal, executive or legislative branch?

Octavious

#19 Post by Octavious » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pm

There's no voter suppression in long wait times for people voting early. It's frankly ridiculous that early voting is even permitted, but it seems fairly obvious that it is unreasonable to have anything like the capacity to vote on election day extended by a month. People wanting to vote on the first day of voting is little more than virtue signalling and taxpayers money shouldn't be wasted making this easier. Quite the reverse.

Voting on election day itself is another matter, and one in which the US has long seemed to somehow struggle with. Quite how you can justify queues for polling booths stretching for hours over the entire day is difficult to comprehend. A queue resulting from a last hour rush is understandable, or because of an unforseen incident such as a fire, but for it to be routine in some areas is unforgivable.

Jamiet99uk

#20 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:21 pm

I agree with those remarks.

Just have more polling stations staffed with more people. It's pretty damn easy.

The only conclusion one can draw is that the US authorities are happy with the long queues and wish them to continue.