UK legal head resigns

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: UK legal head resigns

#41 Post by flash2015 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Does anyone have the detail on the exact changes Boris is proposing?

I understand part of the withdrawal agreement was that there would be no hard Irish border (meaning there will need to effectively need to be a border between N Ireland and the UK instead to meet EU requirements)..but I understand as well that Boris had effectively promised that there would be no border between the N. Ireland and the rest of the UK either:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... hecks-loom

taylor4

#42 Post by taylor4 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:44 pm

RE: See item under 3.

taylor4

#43 Post by taylor4 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:46 pm

'[W]ide selection of [L]eft supporting newspapers,' FYI:
* The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country
* The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country
* The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country
* The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country
* Financial Times is read by people who own the country
* The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country
* The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.
(The Sun readers do not care who runs the country as long she's got big tits!)

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#44 Post by orathaic » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:20 pm

@flash, part of the withdrawal deal is that it keep Northern Ireland in the EU customs union. Which is how they avoid any infrastructure between Ireland and the North.

The issue with this is the goods entering the Britain (perhaps with lower tarrifs) could transfer to Northern Ireland and then on the the EU. So the withdrawal agreement allows the EU and UK to jointly decide which good travelling into NI from GB need to pay tarrifs and which are not a risk of passing on to the EU.

Johnson decided to remove the EU from this decision making process.

How this also violates promises to the Scottish and Welsh devolved assemblies I'm still a little vague on. Except they were promised a say in internal (UK) market rules...

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#45 Post by orathaic » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:09 pm

@Oct, great talks on Brexit https://youtu.be/vwX-KpnODw4
clarifies some of the factors and misconceptions we may have about Brexit.

But particularly, it shows how labour voters were spread across leave/remain. While conservatives leaned towards leave (particularly the worse off Conservative voters...).

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#46 Post by orathaic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 am

Octavious

#47 Post by Octavious » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:17 pm

orathaic wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:09 pm
@Oct, great talks on Brexit https://youtu.be/vwX-KpnODw4
clarifies some of the factors and misconceptions we may have about Brexit.

But particularly, it shows how labour voters were spread across leave/remain. While conservatives leaned towards leave (particularly the worse off Conservative voters...).
It's interesting. You can only ever get limited amounts of sense from Corbynistas who believe that the Tories are far right, but in amongst the propaganda and shameless book plugging were a few interesting points. He successfully dismantles your conspiracy theory about the influence of a few doners by showing just how little control even the most generous group of doners actually have.

Jamiet99uk

#48 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:55 pm

Boris Johnson signed off on the transition agreement.
Boris Johnson told the British people the transition deal he signed was a "triumph".

Now he is trying to pass a law to allow him to break the transition agreement.

Was he lying when he said it was "a triumph"? Or did he sign a deal he did not understand?

Is he a liar, is he incompetent, or is he both?

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#49 Post by flash2015 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 pm

Yes, he was lying out his ass...but that was his only option.

Jamiet99uk

#50 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:28 am

flash2015 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 pm
Yes, he was lying out his ass...but that was his only option.
Why?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#51 Post by orathaic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am

He did win the election pretty handily. So lying seems to have worked out for him there at least... (and also, since he doesn't appear to give a shit about anybody else.. Yeah)

Octavious

#52 Post by Octavious » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 am

orathaic wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am
and also, since he doesn't appear to give a shit about anybody else.. Yeah
This is a popular left wing mantra, but it never seems to be backed up with much evidence. What makes you say so?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#53 Post by orathaic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm

SNP colleague Alyn Smith (Stirling) added the proposed Office for the Internal Market would comprise of “a group of people who will themselves be unelected”.

He said: “For people who are against unelected bureaucrats, I can only suggest that they have a look at the reality of this Bill.”
https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/scotl ... 18004.html

@Oct.his behaviour. It seems that using NI as like a poker chip after internationally binding treaty to protect NI was agreed; should be enough evidence to demonstrate the Johnson doesn't care about the people of Northern Ireland.

Scottish MPs seems to be taking the position that he only cares about undermining the Scottish government's decisions, which they at least claim are in the best interest of the people of Scotland...

Jamiet99uk

#54 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 am
orathaic wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am
and also, since he doesn't appear to give a shit about anybody else.. Yeah
This is a popular left wing mantra, but it never seems to be backed up with much evidence. What makes you say so?
How can someone so dishonest, who constantly tells so many lies, an adulterer who has even told lies about his own friends and family for personal gain, possibly care about anyone other than himself?

Octavious

#55 Post by Octavious » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 pm
How can...... an adulterer who has even told lies about his own friends and family for personal gain, possibly care about anyone other than himself?
Lol! Absolutely, old chap! These god damned broken home types only have themselves to blame. And they so often have the bloody cheek to come crawling to the state to beg for handouts, the selfish scum!

I know I used to say we'd make a Tory out of you one day, but I'm afraid that sort of puritanical judgemental attitude has largely been driven out. Perhaps you're more suited to the DUP? Yet even they would probably see this as a tad old fashioned... :lol:

Jamiet99uk

#56 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:07 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 pm
How can...... an adulterer who has even told lies about his own friends and family for personal gain, possibly care about anyone other than himself?
Lol! Absolutely, old chap! These god damned broken home types only have themselves to blame. And they so often have the bloody cheek to come crawling to the state to beg for handouts, the selfish scum!

I know I used to say we'd make a Tory out of you one day, but I'm afraid that sort of puritanical judgemental attitude has largely been driven out. Perhaps you're more suited to the DUP? Yet even they would probably see this as a tad old fashioned... :lol:
What is your point?

Defend Boris on these terms.

Can you?

Octavious

#57 Post by Octavious » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:12 am

Defend what? Your first two points are the same point repeated with slightly different wording. I have said previously that it's very important that a politician can lie. A nuclear deterrent is only a deterrent if potential threats believe there's a chance you might use it even if you never would, for example. In a negotiation anyone who is open and honest about what they can accept from the start won't ever get more than what just meets that bar, to give another example.

Regarding your attack on Boris' personal life because your understanding of it fails to meet the standards of moral purity you demand, I would point out that we do not and never will or should know the details required to make a judgement. Even if we did I am somewhat astounded that this is a route of attack you're keen to explore.

Jamiet99uk

#58 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:49 am

Octavious wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:12 am
Defend what? Your first two points are the same point repeated with slightly different wording. I have said previously that it's very important that a politician can lie. A nuclear deterrent is only a deterrent if potential threats believe there's a chance you might use it even if you never would, for example. In a negotiation anyone who is open and honest about what they can accept from the start won't ever get more than what just meets that bar, to give another example.

Regarding your attack on Boris' personal life because your understanding of it fails to meet the standards of moral purity you demand, I would point out that we do not and never will or should know the details required to make a judgement. Even if we did I am somewhat astounded that this is a route of attack you're keen to explore.
I'm entirely flabbergasted by your position here.

The more a person lies, the more you'd trust them to rule you?

Are you utterly fucking thick, or have you failed to explain your love of liars properly?

Jamiet99uk

#59 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 am

I hate to imagine a world ruled by the Octavious principle: Whoever is the best liar deserves the most power.

Frightening.

Jamiet99uk

#60 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:57 am

It is no wonder that "Liberal Democrat" Oct so frequently defends the forces of evil and fascism when he regards deceitfulness as an essential component of leadership.

What a fucking arse hole.