Political statement on homepage

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
FxFocus

Political statement on homepage

#1 Post by FxFocus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:26 am

It wont stop me using the site but I'm not comfortable with seeing political statements on the homepage..!

Jamiet99uk

Re: Political statement on homepage

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:40 am

FxFocus wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:26 am
It wont stop me using the site but I'm not comfortable with seeing political statements on the homepage..!
Oh diddums, is your white superiority being challenged?

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:49 am

I think someone being uncomfortable with the apparent unconditional support for a group such as Black Lives Matter is entirely understandable.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:49 am
I think someone being uncomfortable with the apparent unconditional support for a group such as Black Lives Matter is entirely understandable.
I suppose you think that anyone who supports Black Lives Matter is a vile terrorist, don't you Oct?

Just like you think people who identify with Antifa campaigns are vile.

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Funnily enough, Jamie, no. Unlike the Antifa thuggery, who are little more than blackshirted yobs looking for an opportunity to punch and kick fellow blackshirted thugs with different badges, many Black Lives Matter supporters seem well intentioned. But they also seem to be led by idiots who are too blinded by their own propaganda to see the harm they're doing.

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:04 pm
Funnily enough, Jamie, no. Unlike the Antifa thuggery, who are little more than blackshirted yobs looking for an opportunity to punch and kick fellow blackshirted thugs with different badges, many Black Lives Matter supporters seem well intentioned. But they also seem to be led by idiots who are too blinded by their own propaganda to see the harm they're doing.
What harm are they doing?

I would say the protests have been having an impact.

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 pm

They certainly have had an impact. Scores of injuries, an impressive amount of criminal damage, and no doubt rather a lot of unnecessary Covid-19 infections and a number of resulting deaths.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#8 Post by orathaic » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Wait, are you talking about the police brutality of the protestors? Seems unclear.

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:56 pm

@Octavious: Do you think that the United States, and the United Kingdom for that matter, have a problem with systemic racism?

Your words suggest that you do not. Your words suggest that you think there isn't a problem and any black people complaining should just be quiet.

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:50 am

I believe that the problems in the two nations are rather different, especially regarding the issue of policing, and that confusing the two is an error. I believe that the specific issue of policing in the US would still be a major issue even if there was no apparent racial element, and as such treating it purely as a racial issue is a flawed strategy. I believe that the focus on black lives, rather than looking at the lives of minorities from the full spectrum of immigrant groups, is part of a hangover from American history and is neither appropriate nor useful for modern Britain. I believe that large scale gatherings in the middle of a pandemic is bloody stupid and those who are doing it are idiots. And dispite all the noise and stupidity over recent weeks, I still haven't got the foggiest idea what the protesters here are suggesting we should actually do.

Jamiet99uk

#11 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:20 pm

@Octavious: What is your opinion on the violent, drunken white nationalist and neo-Nazi rallies that took place in London and Newcastle today?

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:20 pm
@Octavious: What is your opinion on the violent, drunken white nationalist and neo-Nazi rallies that took place in London and Newcastle today?
I refer you to my previous post where I said "I believe that large scale gatherings in the middle of a pandemic is bloody stupid and those who are doing it are idiots."

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:05 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:25 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:20 pm
I refer you to my previous post where I said "I believe that large scale gatherings in the middle of a pandemic is bloody stupid and those who are doing it are idiots."
Well these ones were idiots for sure, and nasty, bigoted, racist idiots at that.

The ones in Newcastle claimed they were out to protect a "war memorial", then congregated around a statue that is not a war memorial, got drunk, smashed bottles all over the place, and attacked the police who tried to move them, throwing Nazi salutes as well as glass bottles.

Racist Nazi scum.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:24 am

I agree, Jamie. They are little more than blackshirted yobs looking for an opportunity to punch and kick fellow blackshirted thugs with different badges. Very much like Antifa. It's a damned shame we can't put both groups into one of our empty stadia and let them thrash it out until they've worked it out of their systems

Jamiet99uk

#15 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:53 am

I would be inclined to describe them as "whiteshirted thugs" since many of them wear the England football strip as their uniform.

That's basically what they are, deeply racist football hooligans.

Foxcastle

#16 Post by Foxcastle » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:50 am
I believe that the focus on black lives, rather than looking at the lives of minorities from the full spectrum of immigrant groups, is part of a hangover from American history ...
Black men in the US are about 2.5 times as likely to be killed by police than white men, while Native American men and Latinos are only about 1.5 times as likely. Asian/Pacific Islander men are about half as likely to be killed by police compared to white men. It's absolutely a hangover from American history, but the harmful legacy of slavery and Jim Crow is not distributed over "the full spectrum of immigrant groups"—in this and other areas, it is disproportionately harmful to black people.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#17 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:06 am

FxFocus wrote:
Unfortunately the comfort of some has resulted in the death of others, and so the comfort must be ignored. We also do not view state sanctioned violence and racism as political. Various polls and studies in recent weeks show a majority of both parties in the US support the protests.

Octavious

#18 Post by Octavious » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:25 am

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:06 am
FxFocus wrote:
Unfortunately the comfort of some has resulted in the death of others, and so the comfort must be ignored. We also do not view state sanctioned violence and racism as political. Various polls and studies in recent weeks show a majority of both parties in the US support the protests.
So why did you feel it appropriate to ignore it for the previous decade? And why do you feel it appropriate to ignore the massive protests against misogynistic violence and murder taking place in South Africa? Your definition of political is self evidently ridiculous, but I suspect you know that.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#19 Post by orathaic » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am

Octavious wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:25 am
jmo1121109 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:06 am
FxFocus wrote:
So why did you feel it appropriate to ignore it for the previous decade? And why do you feel it appropriate to ignore the massive protests against misogynistic violence and murder taking place in South Africa? Your definition of political is self evidently ridiculous, but I suspect you know that.
To quote something "perfect is the enemy of good".

Oct, you think you have a good argument, but actually you're not adding any thi g of value to the conversation.

Octavious

#20 Post by Octavious » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:20 am

orathaic wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am
To quote something "perfect is the enemy of good".

Oct, you think you have a good argument, but actually you're not adding any thi g of value to the conversation.
A typical left wing strategy to shut down people who dare to have other opinions. Whether you value my contribution or not is entirely irrelevant to me. Your arrogance that you are somehow the arbiter of worthwhile opinion is astounding.

WebDip have taken to making political statements for the first time in their history, and they are limiting their statements purely to the issue on the current US bandwagon. They are supporting mass protest actions in the middle of the worst pandemic in the modern era, and the result of these protests will be a great many life changing illnesses and lost lives across the world. It is perfectly legitimate for members to be uncomfortable with this sudden and harmful change in policy.