Stock Market Falling

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Yoyoyozo

Stock Market Falling

#1 Post by Yoyoyozo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet but The Dow Jones fell by quite a hefty margin today. It tanked 4.6 percent and 1175 points, the biggest fall since 2011 by percent and the biggest fall ever by volume. Is this a sign of the market finally correcting, and by how much?

Octavious

Re: Stock Market Falling

#2 Post by Octavious » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:30 am

If I were a betting man I'd say around 3 percent, but who knows? Considering the size of the drop there's remarkably little panic. Asia is excitable as always, but Europe doesn't seem overly bothered.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by Hellenic Riot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 am

Not really a cause for panic (yet). The underlying economy is doing relatively well, and stocks have been blatantly overinflated for a very long time. The only reason that this is triggering clickbait headlines like "Largest stock market fall in history" is because the Stock numbers are so insanely high in the first place.

Of course, it could bandwagon into a gigantic apocalyptic event, but probably not just now.

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Time to stock up on canned food.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 pm

I agree with HR.

The underlying metrics of the economy are still strong. Much of the fear in the stock market is fear of interest rate hikes, which while it will cause volatility, is a good thing for the economy.

And the drop is certainly sensationalized by saying "worst ever", as its the largest point drop, but not nearly the largest percentage drop.

And lets not forget that even with the 4.6% drop, the S&P 500 is not even down 1% year to date with such a strong January.

Randomizer

#6 Post by Randomizer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Best part was split screen as Trump is saying what a great job he's done with the economy the market was falling like a rock. Trump's boasted about all the record market highs he's responsible for since he got elected.

Market was already bouncing back at the end as buyers took advantage of being down 8% from it's high.

Jeff Kuta

#7 Post by Jeff Kuta » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Trump is a fool.

ksako8

#8 Post by ksako8 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:29 pm

I have been investing in stocks since the mid eighties. This is just a correction. Real drops concern >20% in a day.

`ZaZaMaRaNDaBo`

#9 Post by `ZaZaMaRaNDaBo` » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Trump brags that the stock market is booming when it reaches record highs. Now, Pence is talking about how the fundamentals of the economy are doing after the stock market has been dropping. Trump should have known not to tie his presidential success to the stock market. He promised that the stock market was going to keep going up, but that obviously will not be the case. If I were Trump, I would join Pence in talking about the fundamentals of the economy, which Trump was doing during his campaign, bragging on unemployment rates, wage gaps, etc. Those are stronger predictors of how the economy is doing anyhow.

Randomizer

#10 Post by Randomizer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Trump's a failed businessman that never understood the economy or even his own real estate business. That's why he's had so many bankruptcies and projects go bust. As long as the rising tide of boom lifts all boats he thought he was the biggest genius.

SuperSteve

#11 Post by SuperSteve » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm not sure you can call Trump a failed businessman. He has acquired for himself quite an assortment of golden paraphernalia. Not least of which is a golden toilet. Not to mention he managed to get himself elected President.

That all has to count for something.

CAPT Brad

#12 Post by CAPT Brad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Jealousy and fear. that is what "progressives" and liberals peddle. and if they could they would tax happiness as if it were cigarettes and liquor

CroakandDagger

#13 Post by CroakandDagger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Having businesses go bankrupt does not prevent you from being a good businessman.

Anyone who has ever embarked on some kind of business venture will tell you that no investment is entirely without risk - ever. There is always a chance that you will flush a certain amount of money away never to be seen again. The trick to being successful is not allowing those bad investments to sink you, erecting safeguards and failsafes so that even bad investments can be recovered from.

And although i'm not an expert, I presume allowing certain failing businesses to go bankrupt while remaining solvent himself was Trump's way of doing that. It's not elegant, perhaps, but the man is obviously vastly wealthy so who are we to criticise his business acumen?

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm

One could argue that investing in a gold toilet etc before embarking on a policy of devaluing the dollar is a fine example of good business sense :)

CAPT Brad

#15 Post by CAPT Brad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:53 pm

but trump does not have a gold toilet. Instead, the Guggenheim offered a gold toilet called "America."

SuperSteve

#16 Post by SuperSteve » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:09 pm

"And although i'm not an expert, I presume allowing certain failing businesses to go bankrupt while remaining solvent himself was Trump's way of doing that. It's not elegant, perhaps, but the man is obviously vastly wealthy so who are we to criticise his business acumen?"

Says the guy that's probably never even took a crap on a golden toilet. Pffff......

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#17 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Dearest Jeff, TrumpGod might be foolish or not. Clearly those who voted for TrumpGod are extremely foolish, imho. Of course y'all should realise that when the USA stock markets go up that's due to TrumpGod's incredible abilities and work on economic reforms, but when USA share prices plummet that's obviously the fault of Obama and Hillary..well that's how TrumpGod would spin his alternative version of reality. Carumba, it's about time that companies like Apple, Twitter and Instagram got some relief from the taxes they don't pay.

Manwe Sulimo

#18 Post by Manwe Sulimo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 am

Indexes fell by more than 10%, so the market officially experienced a correction. I don’t see a catalyst to turn it into a full fledged bear market yet, though I suppose that’ll probably only be fully realized in hindsight. Same opinion as HR and Tom. The corporate tax reduction and increased budget deficit will keep earnings growth strong, though the piper is going to have to be paid sooner or later when our treasuries eventually lose their status as risk-free.