Should white people own Chinese restaurants?

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Fluminator

Should white people own Chinese restaurants?

#1 Post by Fluminator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Or would that be too much cultural appropriation?

Octavious

Re: Should white people own Chinese restaurants?

#2 Post by Octavious » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Some do. Cultural appropriation is one of the most damaging pieces of ideological crap produced by the modern age, and the sooner it's dumped in the dustbin of history the better. Not that there's a huge amount of Chinese culture in battered chicken dunked in a sauce of tomato ketchup and vinegar, anyway.

Carl Tuckerson

#3 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Of course they should. Anybody who can do the food justice and wants to open a restaurant for it should do it. Anybody who can't shouldn't be opening a restaurant at all. Objecting to people who are doing it justice simply because of the skin color of the people is racist and there's really no room to debate it with any credibility.

Stressedlines

#4 Post by Stressedlines » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Considering how bad the chinese make that shit why not let someone else have a crack at it

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#5 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:58 am

This is, in my opinion, a pathetic trolling attempt. The way it's presented as a potential conflict between Asians and Europeans is a racist construct imho. I note that it wasn't presented as "should Italians own and run a restaurant serving French cuisine or vice versa" which although involves different nationalities keeps it within one larger "racial grouping", Europeans.
It's a nonsense proposition from the start, Cultures in the modern world do not exist in isolation, they influence each other. Many cultures have influenced each other for centuries.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:05 am

Modern Australia is a melting pot of different cultures and races, decades ago when I worked in Sydney there was a local Vietnamese restaurant which offered delicious hamburgers cooked in a Wok. Now there's a great example of a simple food item, the Hamburger transcending several cultures in it's progress since WW2. Named after a German city, a basic food in the USA and introduced to Australia from the USA and reinterpreted in Australia in a Vietnamese restaurant

MajorMitchell

#7 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 am

Who added pineapple to a "Hamburger with the lot"? I think it might have been us Australians. I regard a hamburger with the lot as having the basic meat Pattie, fried bacon, onion and egg with tomato sauce, salad of lettuce tomato gherkin and beetroot with mayonnaise as the essentials with other additional extras.. eg parsley in the salad.
What do other members regard as a "Hamburger with the lot"?

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

MajorMitchell wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 am
Who added pineapple to a "Hamburger with the lot"? I think it might have been us Australians.
You Australians, and only you Australians :p.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by flash2015 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Stressedlines wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 pm
Considering how bad the chinese make that shit why not let someone else have a crack at it
I think you need to try something other than the chicken wings. You know that they make it for us, don't you? :razz:

Seriously though, in the US unless you live in one of the major population centers with a decent Chinese population, you are largely going to be limited to restaurants from Fuzhou chinese...made especially bland specifically for the US palate.

This leaves out a HUGE amount of variety in Chinese food that you may not be seeing - the Beijing/Shanghai/Taiwan/Guangdong/Sichuan/Singapore cuisines all are very different. Saying Chinese food is bad based on your local Fuzhou fast food is like disparaging all North American food because you tried poutain and thought it was crap.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by flash2015 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 pm
Or would that be too much cultural appropriation?
They could, sure, but I probably wouldn't eat there. Asian food cooked for/by white people is generally going to be very bland. I don't go into a Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese restaurant unless white people are the exception, not the rule. You see this in NYC a lot. Generally Asian food in Manhattan is crap because of the audience (Thai in Manhattan is bland Chinese with basil). You have to go out to Queens to get the good stuff.

Stressedlines

#11 Post by Stressedlines » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:43 pm

I lived in korea for more than 3 years so I understand how ethnoc foods made for us is different

However the topic was should white people own chinese restaurant's

The stuff in those places are disgusting. Its food poisoning you pay for...mmm

Jamiet99uk

Re: Should Fluminator get a fucking life?

#12 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 pm

I think Fluminator needs to spend less time on the internet.

MajorMitchell

#13 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Hoorah for Jamiet99uk, how did you change the thread title in your post you provocative chap? Neat trick.

MajorMitchell

#14 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm probably taking Fulminator too seriously. I'm of the opinion that anyone regardless of race or religion etc should be able to open whatever type of business, including restaurant they want to. Probably the more serious threat to persons running restaurants, or thinking of starting a restaurant is Uber. The Uber~eats business model isn't exactly helping the restaurant industry. It's encouraging the rise of what are known as "dark kitchens"... these are unlicensed kitchens that have no "eat in" restaurant facility and they just cook meals to be delivered by Uber delivery sub contractors. So the "dark kitchens" have lower operating costs than a traditional restaurant. They also often do not comply with health regulations etc etc.
Maybe sometime Fulminator might give up on provocative inconsequential trivialities for his Forum threads and instead seize upon something of actual importance. I live in hope.

MajorMitchell

#15 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Fulminator/Fluminator. Damn silly player name imho. Spotted a very good player name.. Major Mistake. Starting to think that I should ask the Almighty Mods to change my player name to Major Embarrassment or similar.

Fluminator

#16 Post by Fluminator » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:45 pm

I was going to rip into you MM about messing up my name, but you caught yourself in time, so you're spared my wrath for now.

(Also, it's a long u sound if you're reading it wrong in your head)

MajorMitchell

#17 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm

I keep making that mistake because I instinctively think of fulminate of mercury

Octavious

#18 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Just to be sure I'm saying it right, it's like the Terminator with a particularly heavy cold?

Fluminator

#19 Post by Fluminator » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:24 pm

floooooom
but we're getting off topic.

It was a serious question MM, and I think I agree with your opinion, it's far from the normal view these days in progressive cultures. Heck, even a few years back a white girl wore a Chinese dress to prom and got hated by social media for culturally appropriating its culture.

As a Canadian, I know whenever someone in another culture even mentions something unique about Canada, we all get giddy. (even if it's an insult) Canadians love being appropriated.

I'm mainly just trying to figure out the line of what's not allowed to be crossed

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#20 Post by flash2015 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Stressedlines wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:43 pm
I lived in korea for more than 3 years so I understand how ethnoc foods made for us is different

However the topic was should white people own chinese restaurant's

The stuff in those places are disgusting. Its food poisoning you pay for...mmm
You are the one though that suggested all Chinese food is crap. I will raise your three years in Korea...with my 20 year relationship (12 years married) to a Burmese lass (I had a Chinese girlfriend before that) and extensive travel through Asia (I have been to China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore - I am currently writing this message from a hotel in Yangon).

Chinese food isn't the tastiest of the bunch, but to say that it is ALL crap or that it is dangerous to eat is a bit rude...I have never got sick from Chinese food outside of mainland China. There is so much tasty food to choose from, from Dim Sum to Sichuan hot pot to roast duck to soup dumplings etc, etc. Chinese supermarkets in NY at least have some of the best, freshest and well priced meat, fish and vegetables you can buy. I think you need to get out a bit more.