Congratulations to Chris Grayling following his appointment as Conservative party chairman.

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Congratulations to Chris Grayling following his appointment as Conservative party chairman.

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Well done, Chris.

Hahahahaha.

Octavious

Re: Congratulations to Chris Grayling following his appointment as Conservative party chairman.

#3 Post by Octavious » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Out of curiosity, do you genuinely find this hilarious or our you laughing out of a sense of duty to the left?

I think the biggest story here is the stunning revelation that the Tory Twitter account is followed by over 300,000 people! You can get to roughly 50,000 if you count journalists, politicians, and Tory members with a basic understanding of the internet, but who the hell are the other quarter million?

I reckon at least half of them are Momentum

Jeff Kuta

#4 Post by Jeff Kuta » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:21 pm

I am amused by unforced errors.

Do the Conservatives fancy themselves to be competent professionals?

Jamiet99uk

#5 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I actually laughed, Octavious.

It gave me a moment of distraction from trying to balance my department's budget without cutting anything people might care about.

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Jeff Kuta wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:21 pm
I am amused by unforced errors.

Do the Conservatives fancy themselves to be competent professionals?
I'd say that the vast majority of British MPs are competent professionals. None of whom are immune from employing staff who make errors, nor indeed from making errors themselves.

Deeply_Dippy

#7 Post by Deeply_Dippy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 pm

I agree, Octavious, the majority of British MP's are indeed competent professionals...

Unfortunately, they then gave up their professions and joined Parliament!

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#8 Post by Hellenic Riot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 pm

It was mildly amusing. Though bemusement at how Jeremy Hunt managed to talk his way out of fired and instead have social care *added* to his brief, when this reshuffle seemed to be entirely about shunting him out of Health soon took over. And then the further own-goal of getting rid of a Pro-Remain candidate in a Remain supporting marginal, who was one of the faces of the modernising faction of the Tory party in Justine Greening, and thus add an extra potential rebel with history there (Heathrow), is really the icing on the cake.

I thought the age of incompetent reshuffles had died after the Chicken Coup in Labour failed... Apparently not!

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

What on earth gave you the idea that Hunt was going to be shunted? He's got the safest job in politics. And, quite seriously, adding social care to health is long overdue. It's harder to save money in social care by dumping the costs on the NHS when they're both the same budget.

Jamiet99uk

#10 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm
And, quite seriously, adding social care to health is long overdue. It's harder to save money in social care by dumping the costs on the NHS when they're both the same budget.
I probably agree with this point.

Interesting change of direction, since the policy of the Cameron government was to take responsibilities away from the NHS and transfer them to local authorities (while only transferring *some* of the money to their budgets).

Octavious

#11 Post by Octavious » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm
Octavious wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm
And, quite seriously, adding social care to health is long overdue. It's harder to save money in social care by dumping the costs on the NHS when they're both the same budget.
I probably agree with this point.

Interesting change of direction, since the policy of the Cameron government was to take responsibilities away from the NHS and transfer them to local authorities (while only transferring *some* of the money to their budgets).
There's a lot to be said for localism. In different circumstances it may well have worked, but with budgets the way they were the holistic view suffered at the expense of departmental necessity. As things stand, bringing the services together seems the right call. In five or ten years time, who knows?