"Social Square" 49 players Gunboat Series

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: "Social Square" 49 players Gunboat Series

#21 Post by gimix » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:26 am

DarthPorg36 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:02 pm
It may take a while to get 49 players. Is there a way we can do this without a full rank? Or is it better to wait a long time?
Unfortunately, the only option I know of is to reach 49, unless someone better than me at mathematics can help.

Say we have T total players, and G players per game (7): we obviously need T to be a multiple of G, and the "meet each opponent exactly once" requirement can be fullfilled only when T-1 is a multiple of G-1 too, since ech player will have to meet T-1 opponents, and will meet G-1 of them at a time.
So T must be a multiple of 7 and T-1 must be a multiple of 6. This means T = 7x7 = 49 (well, or 7x1, which is a bit trivial, or 7x13, 7x19, ..., which are definitely unpractical).

DarthPorg36

#22 Post by DarthPorg36 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:14 pm

No you're definitely right...

what if we just made them open games? Like, Social Square Round 1 Group 1, and if random people join then we consider them in? Although people may not be happy about being forced into 7 games.

We need more advertising for this challenge!

Otherwise we just do some other challenge.

Kench

#23 Post by Kench » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:55 pm

Hey, I'm glad this showed up on Discord. I've not been around in a while but this sounds like a lot of fun! Am I too late to sign up?

Kench

UnknownHero

#24 Post by UnknownHero » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:52 am

In order to run this without a full slate of 49 players, I believe the requirement of "play each other player exactly once" would have to be relaxed. You could ensure that each player plays each other player either once or twice, while retaining the feature that each player gets to play as all countries at least once. (Or, in this imperfect matchup scenario, I imagine it could be set up as 7 games for each player with each player playing as each country once, though I won't attempt the math to prove if this can be done in all cases.)

It reminds me of a time I organized the races for a pinewood derby. (Races of wooden model cars down a sloped track, where imperfections in the track mean that rotating through tracks fairly is important.) I used this tool at the time, which could have been used for this purpose except that it only accommodates up to 6 tracks, not 7:

http://stanpope.net/ppngen.html

This type of match-up chart is known as "Partial Perfect-N", while the initial proposal in this thread would be called "Perfect-N" under this terminology.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#25 Post by gimix » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:12 am

Kench wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:55 pm
Hey, I'm glad this showed up on Discord. I've not been around in a while but this sounds like a lot of fun! Am I too late to sign up?
You're definitely not too late, we're very far from reaching the needed number of players. Can we count you in?

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#26 Post by gimix » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:14 am

UnknownHero wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:52 am
In order to run this without a full slate of 49 players, I believe the requirement of "play each other player exactly once" would have to be relaxed. You could ensure that each player plays each other player either once or twice, while retaining the feature that each player gets to play as all countries at least once. (Or, in this imperfect matchup scenario, I imagine it could be set up as 7 games for each player with each player playing as each country once, though I won't attempt the math to prove if this can be done in all cases.)

It reminds me of a time I organized the races for a pinewood derby. (Races of wooden model cars down a sloped track, where imperfections in the track mean that rotating through tracks fairly is important.) I used this tool at the time, which could have been used for this purpose except that it only accommodates up to 6 tracks, not 7:

http://stanpope.net/ppngen.html

This type of match-up chart is known as "Partial Perfect-N", while the initial proposal in this thread would be called "Perfect-N" under this terminology.
This is really interesting. I will try and see whether it can be adapted to the use case here