Ghost Rating Challenge 09/23

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Ghost Rating Challenge 09/23

#1 Post by Yonni » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm bereft of games at the moment and it's been a hot second since I've played one here. Let's fire up another GR challenge with the aim of starting at the beginning of September, after labo(u)r day.

For anyone new to these, everyone that signs up simply gets put into groups of 7 by ascending Ghost Rating. That way everyone can get grouped at a table with roughly the same experience/success so everyone should feel free to sign up no matter how experienced or new you are here.

We'll be using Full Press Ghost Rating for these. By default, let's say 48hr/turn, non-anon, and SoS but each game can, of course, decide on things by themselves.

To sign up, just copy and paste the list below while adding yourself to it. VI and Yigg, I'm going to assume you guys are still free for a game.

G1

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg

Ginge86

Re: Ghost Rating Challenge 09/23

#2 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:27 pm

Excellent work Yonni.
We can now have a list of cowards that were too scared to face the GOAT.

Having open games is a great idea, it should allow you older guys to team up on the newer players. Sounds fair to me.

Probably how most of you reached the top 50 in the first place, lets be honest.

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#3 Post by Yonni » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:42 pm

Ginge, if you're not going to quit, I'm more than happy for you to play too. We were all new once here. I know the hobby isn't always the most welcoming but I'd rather that not be the case.

Ginge86

#4 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:05 pm

Yonni wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:42 pm
Ginge, if you're not going to quit, I'm more than happy for you to play too. We were all new once here. I know the hobby isn't always the most welcoming but I'd rather that not be the case.
I have only ever quite one game, due to cheating. When the rules of a game are to not discuss the identity of players and that rule is broken on turn 1, I refuse to play. It is called having standards. Other players in the game agreed with this by the way and all agreed to the rules before we started.

I would love to say yes but after my experience with the last game, it is becoming clear that fair games are not something that can be organised on the forum. You, Yigg and VI have all played together before and will undoubtedly be able to identify each others press. What chance do I stand against 3 players?

Thanks for the invite but with open games, no way of enforcing rules and an openly hostile player base, I see no reason to participate. Other than to allow the weaker players the satisfaction of watching another board turn against me in year 1 due to nothing other than the fact it is me.

Thanks for trying to help with setting up the games and thanks for being one of the few veterans on here that actually has the time of day for newer players. I wish you luck in finding players for your game.

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#5 Post by Yonni » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:46 pm

Just checked my history here.

I played one game against Yigg in 2017
I played 3 game against VI in 2015 as part of a tournament

No matter where you go (online or in face-to-face) you'll find people that have crossed paths in this hobby. It's unavoidable.

But I do agree that it's for the better if you find some games elsewhere and cool off for a bit. Please don't clutter this thread.

BrianBaru

#6 Post by BrianBaru » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:51 pm

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
137. Brian Baru

Hope I did this correctly!

Ginge86

#7 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:13 pm

BrianBaru wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:51 pm
4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
3,398. Brian Baru

Hope I did this correctly!
There you go mate, fixed it for you, your welcome

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#8 Post by Hamilton Brian » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:03 pm

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
3,398. Brian Baru
3,540: HamiltonBrian

UnknownHero

#9 Post by UnknownHero » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:17 pm

I hardly play any press so I don't have much for a rating but I've been thinking of getting into it more. This seems like a good opportunity to start. I'll just slot myself into the bottom here.

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
3,398. Brian Baru
7,179. UnknownHero

Theodoric

#10 Post by Theodoric » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:10 am

I unfortunately don't have time for another game--just wanted to fix Brian Baru's rating so that this doesn't get messed up.
UnknownHero wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:17 pm
I hardly play any press so I don't have much for a rating but I've been thinking of getting into it more. This seems like a good opportunity to start. I'll just slot myself into the bottom here.

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
137. Brian Baru
7,179. UnknownHero

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#11 Post by Yonni » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:53 am

It actually was correct. We're looking for rankings, not ratings. Yours would be 421 if you wanted to join. They won't start for a few weeks.

G1

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
3,398 Brian Baru
7,179. UnknownHero

Theodoric

#12 Post by Theodoric » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:00 pm

Ah--sorry to mess it up Yonni! I'd assumed Ginge was trolling.
Yonni wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:53 am
It actually was correct. We're looking for rankings, not ratings. Yours would be 421 if you wanted to join. They won't start for a few weeks.

G1

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
3,398 Brian Baru
7,179. UnknownHero

jamesa7171

#13 Post by jamesa7171 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:56 pm

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
3,243. Jamesa7171
3,398. Brian Baru
3,540. HamiltonBrian
7,179. UnknownHero

IRidePigs

#14 Post by IRidePigs » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:15 pm

4. VI
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
302. IRidePigs
3,243. Jamesa7171
3,398. Brian Baru
3,540. HamiltonBrian
7,179. UnknownHero
And what rough pig, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be rode?

Yigg

#15 Post by Yigg » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:54 pm

I'm in as long as the turns aren't super quick. 2 day turnaround, at a minimum, pretty please?

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#16 Post by Yonni » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:02 pm

Yigg, 48hr works for me. Don't worry UnknownHero, we'll try get to 2 or 3 games at least.

G1
4. VI
15. IRidePigs
17. Yonni
69. Yigg
3,243. Jamesa7171
3,398. Brian Baru
3,540. HamiltonBrian

G2
7,179. UnknownHero

[edit: fixed IRidePigs' ranking]

Yigg

#17 Post by Yigg » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:20 pm

Ginge86 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:05 pm

I would love to say yes but after my experience with the last game, it is becoming clear that fair games are not something that can be organised on the forum. You, Yigg and VI have all played together before and will undoubtedly be able to identify each others press. What chance do I stand against 3 players?
Dude, I might as well never play anonymous games. Players are pretty much able to ID me instantly, sometimes even if all they've ever done is read my extremely few and far between Forum replies. Even when I've tried to actively "not sound like me," I still sound like me. *shrug* It is what it is. I think the only time it ever mattered was in that 2020 World Cup, when there was a whole lot of meta around trying to knock out teams, mine especially.

Speaking strictly for myself, I have a bone to pick with people using out-of-game meta to decide their game strategy. The last live tournament I was at, I ran into back-to-back games of 3 people at the table who were friends and decided to do Triples for the 3WD. That really sucked, because there was absolutely no possible combination of sounds I could make with my face that would dislodge that. Even worse is that it was the first time I'd played F2F in ages, so getting stomped like that felt even more humiliating. Don't pity me too hard though; I got stupid drunk with some of the coolest humans I've ever met from this site and had a blast!

Where was I?

Oh, right. Meta. So I 100% feel you on that. Here's my take, and I play under the assumption most other people do with the naïve hope for the best. I play every player based on the press I get that game, and the strategic/tactical situation on the board, in the best chances that can help me win. Period end of story. There's only one special person on the planet I'd break that rule for. Please don't be offended, but it's not you, Ginge. But let's hypothetically say that you said some pretty egregious shit to me both directly and publicly. Granted, I probably wouldn't play with you in the first place. But if I did AND I figured out it was you, if I thought it could help my position and move towards either a win or stopping someone else from a win, I'd ally with you in a heartbeat. I play to win. And people who have different goals than that, while I suppose I can understand, I don't necessarily agree with. This is my long way of saying that knowing your identity would have zero impact of my game with you.

Now that's not to say that knowing your personality wouldn't impact my press, though. For example, if I knew that you were into Canopian Cat Girls posing lithely in Atlas cockpits, I'd 100% bring it up and try to win you to my side. Granted, I don't think the Magistry of Canopus has too many Atlas'...Atlii? Ahhh, sorry, I'm getting chocolate in my peanut butter again. I do that. It's probably why I get figured out in press every time.

Yigg

#18 Post by Yigg » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:26 pm

Yonni wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:02 pm
Yigg, 48hr works for me. Don't worry UnknownHero, we'll try get to 2 or 3 games at least.
Is 72 asking too much? I'm all adult over here and the adulting is like Hatchet Harry reaching for the nearest object to beat me with, which happened to be a 15" black rubber... well, never mind all that. I can do 48 but 72 would be far more lovely.

IRidePigs

#19 Post by IRidePigs » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:31 pm

Yigg wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:20 pm
Ginge86 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:05 pm

Dude, I might as well never play anonymous games. Players are pretty much able to ID me instantly, sometimes even if all they've ever done is read my extremely few and far between Forum replies. Even when I've tried to actively "not sound like me," I still sound like me. *shrug* It is what it is. I think the only time it ever mattered was in that 2020 World Cup, when there was a whole lot of meta around trying to knock out teams, mine especially.

Speaking strictly for myself, I have a bone to pick with people using out-of-game meta to decide their game strategy. The last live tournament I was at, I ran into back-to-back games of 3 people at the table who were friends and decided to do Triples for the 3WD. That really sucked, because there was absolutely no possible combination of sounds I could make with my face that would dislodge that. Even worse is that it was the first time I'd played F2F in ages, so getting stomped like that felt even more humiliating. Don't pity me too hard though; I got stupid drunk with some of the coolest humans I've ever met from this site and had a blast!

Where was I?

Oh, right. Meta. So I 100% feel you on that. Here's my take, and I play under the assumption most other people do with the naïve hope for the best. I play every player based on the press I get that game, and the strategic/tactical situation on the board, in the best chances that can help me win. Period end of story. There's only one special person on the planet I'd break that rule for. Please don't be offended, but it's not you, Ginge. But let's hypothetically say that you said some pretty egregious shit to me both directly and publicly. Granted, I probably wouldn't play with you in the first place. But if I did AND I figured out it was you, if I thought it could help my position and move towards either a win or stopping someone else from a win, I'd ally with you in a heartbeat. I play to win. And people who have different goals than that, while I suppose I can understand, I don't necessarily agree with. This is my long way of saying that knowing your identity would have zero impact of my game with you.

Now that's not to say that knowing your personality wouldn't impact my press, though. For example, if I knew that you were into Canopian Cat Girls posing lithely in Atlas cockpits, I'd 100% bring it up and try to win you to my side. Granted, I don't think the Magistry of Canopus has too many Atlas'...Atlii? Ahhh, sorry, I'm getting chocolate in my peanut butter again. I do that. It's probably why I get figured out in press every time.
How are people IDing you so well? Who even pays enough attention to do that? I never read the forum and never keep track of who I play with game to game and I do just fine, I don't have the brain capacity to start guessing who is who *and* to then have that impact the way I play against them
And what rough pig, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be rode?

Yigg

#20 Post by Yigg » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:42 pm

IRidePigs wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:31 pm
How are people IDing you so well? Who even pays enough attention to do that? I never read the forum and never keep track of who I play with game to game and I do just fine, I don't have the brain capacity to start guessing who is who *and* to then have that impact the way I play against them
It's my playful press? That or I can't stop making culture references constantly (I'd say pop culture, but I delve too greedily and too deep into obscure where it's no longer pop). And using 40 words where 4 would do.