I am the G.O.A.T. of press - Any worthy challangers?

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
Ginge86

Re: I am the G.O.A.T. of press - Any worthy challangers?

#201 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:50 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:47 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm
For the record, Ginge was wrong to identify me as Russia in that game (now cancelled).

I was Germany, actually!
Heh, I kew it!
(I was england, could France or Russia let me know if you were planning to stab me before the game went tits up)
If everyone could please post what country they were, we can route out the person that ruined this game for everyone. Italy. Make sure they cannot do it again to someone in the future. As I assume, most of you were looking forward to this game and to have 1 person ruin it for everyone else, is quite bad.

DougJoe

#202 Post by DougJoe » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:53 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:
For the record, Ginge was wrong to identify me as Russia in that game (now cancelled).

I was Germany, actually!
Heh, I kew it!
(I was england, could France or Russia let me know if you were planning to stab me before the game went tits up)
I was seriously worried about E/F coming over the top/through the middle and was set to support hold Den and build StP nc from the Sweden build (and if I got an Austrian center, which I was trying to negotiate, build A Mos to send north for backup, since I figured supporting Denmark would have annoyed you). Whether or not I ended up actively attacking England in 03 would be hard to say.

Germany had told me there was a WT that got wrecked, was that true?
Last edited by DougJoe on Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ginge86

#203 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:54 pm

England - Doom
Turkey - Theodoric
Austria - Me
Germany - Jamie
Russia - Doug

That only leaves 2 possible bad actors. I will assume from comments made it was not Gandalf, so that leaves...........

FERDACK - This is my guess at the worm that played Italy and could not stick to the rules. I believe this is who you should all thank for a ruined game. NEVER, EVER, invite this player to one of your games, they have 0 honour.

Doom427

#204 Post by Doom427 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:40 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:53 pm
Doom427 wrote:

Heh, I kew it!
I was seriously worried about E/F coming over the top/through the middle and was set to support hold Den and build StP nc from the Sweden build (and if I got an Austrian center, which I was trying to negotiate, build A Mos to send north for backup, since I figured supporting Denmark would have annoyed you). Whether or not I ended up actively attacking England in 03 would be hard to say.

Oh that's true. I just didn't trust the press from Jamie, and decided I didn't really believe the push for a WT were genuine. I figured it was gonna be a F/G if we all go together, so I decided to do F/E first.

(No EOG reports, so heres the Start of Game ones)

Ginge86

#205 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:11 pm

See how depressing this site is without the GOAT! Your Welcome!

As the GOAT's free speech seems to have been removed. Discussion on this thread will now focus on what is important.

I am the best active press player on this site. FACT!

That is all for now

Gandalfthegrey

#206 Post by Gandalfthegrey » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:09 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

I was Germany, actually!
Heh, I kew it!
I suppose everybody knows that I was France at this point, but I'll confirm it here. I had no immediate intentions of stabbing you, though I was (unsuccessfully, at least from what I could tell) trying to patch things up with Germany in case I wanted to stab in the future. It was a pleasure working with you while it lasted though.

Jamiet99uk

#207 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:12 am

Doom427 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:40 pm
DougJoe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:53 pm
Doom427 wrote:

Heh, I kew it!

Oh that's true. I just didn't trust the press from Jamie, and decided I didn't really believe the push for a WT were genuine. I figured it was gonna be a F/G if we all go together, so I decided to do F/E first.

(No EOG reports, so heres the Start of Game ones)
Help me: Why didn't you trust me?

Context: I was being totally sincere.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Jamiet99uk

#208 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:16 am

@Doom: I assume you can now tell that I was sincerely (a) shocked, and (b) quite upset, by your deceit in suggesting a WT but working with France from the outset to attack me.

Talk me through your thinking please? I feel like you manipulated me quite horribly. The WT was your idea; you were the first person to mention it and I bought into it 100%. You decided to screw me, and I'm still not sure why I got that so wrong.

Doom427

#209 Post by Doom427 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:29 am

I can't find the old press bc we canceled the game :-( but!

France implied he asked you for WT so thought Gandalf did that first.

And you just were too flightly. I was DTF (Down to overthrow France), and you were constantly saying you had to talk to France more, and never really sent me press back.

It was a lot of "I want to go attack France, but want your go ahead before sticking my fleet in EC"
"Ok, I'll get back to you"
And then you didn't, so I figured you were fully on team France and were just
stringing me along.

Doom427

#210 Post by Doom427 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:30 am

I'm also awful as England- all the advice says go for France first, but that doesn't work with me wanting to send press to everyone and see who clicks.

England just doesn't have enough neighbors and options for me

Jamiet99uk

#211 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:53 am

Doom427 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:29 am

And you just were too flightly. I was DTF (Down to overthrow France), and you were constantly saying you had to talk to France more, and never really sent me press back.

It was a lot of "I want to go attack France, but want your go ahead before sticking my fleet in EC"
stringing me along.
You were the first person to mention a WT to me, not France.

I said I was waiting for France because I was waiting for France to confirm their agreement (or not) to the WT which, from my position, you had proposed to us both.

Likewise with regard to bouncing Russia in Sweden. I asked you about this, and you said you would prefer me to do it. So I agreed to do it and, if you recall, I did exactly what I promised. Then, after the moves went through, you gave me this really weird attitude that said "oh, you didn't bounce Russia in Sweden for me, you did it to benefit France".

You still never explained that nonsense.

JECE

#212 Post by JECE » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:42 am

Doom427 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:30 am
I'm also awful as England- all the advice says go for France first, but that doesn't work with me wanting to send press to everyone and see who clicks.

England just doesn't have enough neighbors and options for me
Yeah, I don't like playing as England either. You basically need to do a horrible stab fairly early on to make any progress.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Gandalfthegrey

#213 Post by Gandalfthegrey » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:11 am

Doom427 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:29 am

stringing me along.
To clarify some things from my perspective:

-England reached out to me with a request to work together, and we discussed a few options (including the WT, which England brought up and I said I would be open to, along with any other option England preferred). We also agreed to a DMZ of the Channel at my request.

-Germany reached out to ask me about Burgundy and Sweden. I requested a bounce and told him to let Russia into Sweden. I told him that England had made me an offer to cooperate and asked if Germany had received one as well, which Germany claimed had not occurred at that point. Germany made no further offer of cooperation to me at that time, nor did I make one to Germany. This led me to believe that Germany wanted to work with England, rather than with me.

-England and I continued to discuss options, and we agreed to an EF alliance against Germany. At that point, I had made no offer of a WT to Germany, nor had I suggested to England that such an offer had been made.

-Having heard nothing further from Germany, I began to worry that England and Germany had made a deal to take me out, as I was in a rather strong position coming out of Spring 1901. I had been confident in my deal with England, but surely Germany would have to be equally confident in England's friendship to not have reached out to me with an alliance offer (at least, so I reasoned; I still don't quite understand what was happening in your press).

It was at this point that I received a message from Germany asking me to confirm my participation in a Western Triple, which was a relief to me, because it meant that Germany was totally out of the loop on the situation in the West. I attempted to answer non-noncommittally in a way that would lead Germany to believe I was agreeing. Germany did not accept this, and eventually pressured me into giving a straight answer, so I lied and confirmed that I was in on this fictional WT.

IRidePigs

#214 Post by IRidePigs » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:13 am

Well I see now why I got a message a while back about joining a World Cup. I hadn't been checking the site recently, as I recently joined the Nexus League discord and they play on Backstabbr. I would have joined (though I'm not a fan of all the braggadocio in the thread, as others have complained about) but it seems like it has been prematurely canceled.

Can anyone weigh in on if they agree the site is dying? I never read forum posts so I have no insight as to what happens on this site past my own games. Are people abandoning ship?
And what rough pig, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be rode?

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#215 Post by Yonni » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:15 pm

Hey,

I'm still putting a game together at the post linked below. Don't think we've ever crossed paths here despite both being around for ages so come on in and join.

viewtopic.php?f=7&p=357462#p357462

I've always found that WebDip has a bit of ebb during the (northern) summer because of vacations eat into people's availability. I do think that Nexus League has eaten into the full press market some but I don't actually have numbers to prove that (Kestas?). This site has definitely stepped to the front of the hobby in terms of 1v1 and bots but my guess is there are fewer press games than before. What I think Ginge also found is that a lot of the old names on the site that are high in the rankings are in different places in their lives now (kids, new job, etc.) and can't carve out the same time for press as before. PlayDip looked slicker for a time and Backstabbr/Discord is new and hip. I wouldn't be surprised if we've done a poor job of replacing the people that left.

IRidePigs

#216 Post by IRidePigs » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:23 pm

Yonni wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:15 pm
Hey,

I'm still putting a game together at the post linked below. Don't think we've ever crossed paths here despite both being around for ages so come on in and join.

viewtopic.php?f=7&p=357462#p357462

I've always found that WebDip has a bit of ebb during the (northern) summer because of vacations eat into people's availability. I do think that Nexus League has eaten into the full press market some but I don't actually have numbers to prove that (Kestas?). This site has definitely stepped to the front of the hobby in terms of 1v1 and bots but my guess is there are fewer press games than before. What I think Ginge also found is that a lot of the old names on the site that are high in the rankings are in different places in their lives now (kids, new job, etc.) and can't carve out the same time for press as before. PlayDip looked slicker for a time and Backstabbr/Discord is new and hip. I wouldn't be surprised if we've done a poor job of replacing the people that left.
Thanks for the link, I added my name.
And what rough pig, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be rode?

French_boi

#217 Post by French_boi » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:12 am

After playing an (anonymous) game with Ginge, it has become pretty clear why your rating is so high. While you are clearly a good player, but you took a civil disorder to protect your rating as soon as it became clear that you wouldn't solo from your advantageous position and the game would end in a 4-way draw. That, I think, does not afford you the title of "G.O.A.T."

https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?game ... w=dropDown

Jamiet99uk

#218 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:18 am

French_boi wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:12 am
After playing an (anonymous) game with Ginge, it has become pretty clear why your rating is so high. While you are clearly a good player, but you took a civil disorder to protect your rating as soon as it became clear that you wouldn't solo from your advantageous position and the game would end in a 4-way draw. That, I think, does not afford you the title of "G.O.A.T."

Well this is interesting.

Looks like this was a bit of a fib, then:
Ginge86 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:00 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:45 pm
Ginge86 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:06 pm
Just a reminder I am still the best active press player on this site.
Oooh that gotta hurt!
How many times have you padded your record by throwing a public temper tantrum in a game you weren't winning, in order to force the game to be cancelled, like you've just done in this one?
Just this one time, when a bunch of players joined a game agreeing to a rule set, only to instantly go against that rule once the game starts. Conveniently, we will now never find out which pathetic weasel was playing Italy. (My bet is it was you). If what I was saying was so wrong, I would not have had people in that game defending me, would I?
I notice Ginge's reliability rating is only 76%, which is a relatively poor reliability rating. The truth is coming out, eh? Seems like the "GOAT" quits any game when he thinks he's going to be eliminated. Little stat-padder.

I'd be inclined to say that nobody can claim to be "good" at any particular variant unless their RR in that variant is 90% or better.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#219 Post by dargorygel » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:18 am
French_boi wrote:

Ginge86 wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:45 pm

How many times have you padded your record by throwing a public temper tantrum in a game you weren't winning, in order to force the game to be cancelled, like you've just done in this one?
Just this one time, when a bunch of players joined a game agreeing to a rule set, only to instantly go against that rule once the game starts. Conveniently, we will now never find out which pathetic weasel was playing Italy. (My bet is it was you). If what I was saying was so wrong, I would not have had people in that game defending me, would I?
I notice Ginge's reliability rating is only 76%, which is a relatively poor reliability rating. The truth is coming out, eh? Seems like the "GOAT" quits any game when he thinks he's going to be eliminated. Little stat-padder.

I'd be inclined to say that nobody can claim to be "good" at any particular variant unless their RR in that variant is 90% or better.
Pretty sure that ole Ginge was playing a braggy humor card, more than an actual claim.

But he also seems to have moved on to other places.

IRidePigs

#220 Post by IRidePigs » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:24 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:40 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:18 am
French_boi wrote:

Ginge86 wrote:

Pretty sure that ole Ginge was playing a braggy humor card, more than an actual claim.

But he also seems to have moved on to other places.
The humor doesn't really work if nobody is laughing and the stats come from number padding