Can I use WebDip as an adjudicator?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
jimgov

Can I use WebDip as an adjudicator?

#1 Post by jimgov » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:36 am

I'm going to a con and teaching Diplomacy there. The interface here is so clean and sleek that I thought it would be perfect to help new players see the moves AND the adjudication. Is there any way to start a game and enter ALL of the moves every turn? So that one person can do the entries for the FTF game and let the players see the outcome?

JustAGuyNamedWill

Re: Can I use WebDip as an adjudicator?

#2 Post by JustAGuyNamedWill » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:43 am

jimgov wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:36 am
I'm going to a con and teaching Diplomacy there. The interface here is so clean and sleek that I thought it would be perfect to help new players see the moves AND the adjudication. Is there any way to start a game and enter ALL of the moves every turn? So that one person can do the entries for the FTF game and let the players see the outcome?
Yes, go to “GAMES”, then “START A SANDBOX GAME”, and if you want to use the classic map, then just hit “CREATE”, and you can now adjudicate all the orders :)

Crazy Anglican

#3 Post by Crazy Anglican » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:50 am

jimgov wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:36 am
I did this and it worked quite well. I took a group of thirty or so middle school students and played a game of diplomacy with them. They were each assigned a country and one student played as the group leader and the others in each group would serve as ambassadors. I had a gameboard in the middle of the room where I would officiate, but everything was on a big projection screen on the wall, so everyone could see the current status. Each group leader would write the moves down and I'd enter them using the sandbox game as the adjudicator.

jimgov

#4 Post by jimgov » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:42 pm

Perfect. Thank you!

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by dargorygel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:03 pm

I have taught/played dip in many classroom situations. Without prejudice or judging, I have found that explaining the adjudication while I adjudicate is an excellent way to teach how the game works. It IS more work... but worthwhile, I think.