Notifications?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Hoosiercheetah

Notifications?

#1 Post by Hoosiercheetah » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:45 pm

So I searched the forums and clicked everything on the website, and I may be missing it. Is there a way to get an email notification when the game moves to the next phase?

Jamiet99uk

Re: Notifications?

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:16 am

Hoosiercheetah wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:45 pm
So I searched the forums and clicked everything on the website, and I may be missing it. Is there a way to get an email notification when the game moves to the next phase?
Why would you want that kind of spam? I receive about 50 to 100 emails a day. I hate anything that creates more.

Just check into the site every day or so. Is that hard?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

echidna

#3 Post by echidna » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:11 am

The Account menu includes Notifications, which states
"Notifications setup
Configure whether and how you want notifications to be sent to you.
Coming soon!"

jamesa7171

#4 Post by jamesa7171 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:05 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:16 am
Why would you want that kind of spam? I receive about 50 to 100 emails a day. I hate anything that creates more.

"Why would you want a notification on your phone when you get a new voicemail? Just check your voicemail inbox every day or so. Is that hard?"

It would be very nice to know when we have something worth checking and when we don't. This is the same motivation that drives literally every other form of notification out there.

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:34 am

Jamie is a relic of the days when the forum was entertaining enough to be worth visiting in its own right, which helped get members into the habit of making regular site visits as one might regularly visit TikTok or Facebook. Back then there was far less of a need for notifications. Things are somewhat different now.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

learnedSloth

#6 Post by learnedSloth » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:42 pm

Mail notifications conform to the Hollywood principle: Don't call us, we'll call you. I think some mail servers support automatic redirection of incoming mail to specific directories to help keep it organized.
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:13 pm

jamesa7171 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:05 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:

"Why would you want a notification on your phone when you get a new voicemail? Just check your voicemail inbox every day or so. Is that hard?"

It would be very nice to know when we have something worth checking and when we don't. This is the same motivation that drives literally every other form of notification out there.
I hate push notifications. I don't want any, ever. They are a constant distraction and they destroy concentration and mental productivity.

I want my phone to ring when there's an actual phone call. All other forms of message, I'll check for them in my own time.

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#8 Post by A_Tin_Can » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:16 pm

But how will you know when PPSC comes back?

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:55 pm

A_Tin_Can wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:16 pm
I will sense it innately.

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:45 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:55 pm
A_Tin_Can wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:16 pm
I will sense it innately.
The formation of flying pigs will give it away
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

jamesa7171

#11 Post by jamesa7171 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:31 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:13 pm
jamesa7171 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:05 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:

I hate push notifications. I don't want any, ever. They are a constant distraction and they destroy concentration and mental productivity.

I want my phone to ring when there's an actual phone call. All other forms of message, I'll check for them in my own time.
I agree with your sentiment, but this is a false dichotomy: notifications do not have to be distracting or intrusive to be useful. For example, I leave my phone on Do Not Disturb mode for most of the day, and I get to enjoy peace and quiet with no push notifications. However, the notifications still accumulate behind the scenes, so when I feel like checking things I can take DND mode off and I will be presented with all the notifications that I missed.

This is incredibly useful because the notification stack immediately tells me "you need to check your work email and your WhatsApp messages, don't bother checking anything else because there's nothing there" which saves time, insures against forgetfulness, and reduces the mental workload. Adding a "you need to check your WebDip" to this would be helpful.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#12 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:31 pm

An email notification system would be great, I'd love for this to be a priority on Webdip!

I see all benefits and no downsides:

- Chat and/or game progress email notifications would probably cut down on the number of missed turns and civil disorders.

- I strongly suspect notifications would improve the quality and quantity of press in general.

- Notifications would help level the playing field in full-press games, since right now players who have the time and inclination to check this website compulsively have an advantage.

- Email notifications would make long-duration games (e.g., 3+ days per season) way more viable.

- The status quo isn't "no notifications", but rather "check this random website in case you have notifications" which is just worse.

- Every app-based competitor for this site has push notifications. I considered leaving this site for one that did offer notifications, but just barely stayed because the community here seems unique.

- I presume the notifications would be customizable, so anyone who doesn't like them shouldn't be bothered in the slightest.