New Rulebook Edition

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
David E. Cohen

New Rulebook Edition

#1 Post by David E. Cohen » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:17 pm

The new Renegade edition of the rules is now available at https://renegadegamestudios.com/diplomacy/
The warrior's Way is the twofold Way of pen and sword.

Friends don't let friends draw-whittle.

Play every game like it is the last one you will ever play!

My website: http://diplomiscellany.tripod.com/

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: New Rulebook Edition

#2 Post by gimix » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:48 am

Thanks for posting that.
At a quick glance I didn't find any significant difference from the previous edition, did you?

David E. Cohen

#3 Post by David E. Cohen » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:49 am

I have not yet performed a line by line comparison, but a quick look revealed:

1. A further clarification that impossible order=hold order; and

2. A new, clear procedure for civil disorder removals.

David E. Cohen

#4 Post by David E. Cohen » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:36 pm

I have performed a comparative analysis of the Renegade's 6th Edition (2023) rule book and the previous 5th edition (2008) rule book. Disregarding cosmetic and non-substantive changes (such as changing the colors of the example maps or dropping a reference the CD-Rom version of the game), there are a handful of substantive changes, as follows:

1. The rule book has added, to the traditional outcomes of solo and DIAS, possible results for time-limited or turn-limited games.

"A game of Diplomacy can end in one of four ways:

1. Control 18 Supply Centers: As soon as one Great Power controls 18 supply centers, it’s considered to have gained control of Europe.
2. Draw Involving All Survivors: All players who still have supply centers agree to share equally in a draw.
3. Turn Limit: Game ends after a number of predetermined turns (e.g., after Fall 1907) and the winner is the player with the most centers. Tied players share in victory.
4. Time Limit: Game ends after a predetermined number of hours (e.g., 4 hours, 8 hours) and the winner is the player with the most centers. Tied players share in victory.
"

Leaving aside the question of whether a victory can be shared, this change does not really have a practical impact for other than "friendly" FTF games. Unless you are in a tournament, on line or otherwise, games are very rarely either time-limited or turn-limited. If you are in a tournament, those outcomes are too simplistic and will be superseded by the tournament scoring system.

2. Rather than a vague statement that units "farthest from the country are removed first", there is now a clear methodology:

"In the event of a power going into civil disorder or when a power does not order a required removal, (a) No unit on a supply center is to be removed unless there are no viable options and (b) Unit precedence for removal starts with furthest from an owned supply center, by counting absolute adjacent provinces regardless of the ability of the unit to move into it, are removed first. Fleets are removed before armies, and then units are removed in alphabetic order of the name of the province on the map."

Perhaps not the most elegantly written the rule, but certainly serviceable and a since it is unambiguous, a big improvement over the previous rule. Most, if not all platforms will need to revise their code to comply with this rule.

3. The previous rule book clarification about impossible orders being hold orders if further, unequivocally clarified with capital letters, no less):

"A unit given an impossible order results in the unit HOLDING so it can be supported in place. For example, “A Burgundy—Moon” or “A Bohemia—Edinburgh” are impossible moves."

At least one platform is not compliant with this rule.

4. The next change is a clarification (and tightening up) of "matching" in support order for units with multiple coasts, so that a player may now specify support to a particular coast:

"The specification of Support to a specific coast in a split province such as Spain must match the move of the piece ordered to that province. For instance:

France: F Portugal S F Mid-Atlantic - Spain (sc); F Mid-Atlantic - Spain (nc)

The movement is valid but the support order is invalid because it identified an incorrect coast. If the order was F Mid-Atlantic - Spain (sc), then the support order would be valid.
"

The concept of "matching" was undefined in previous editions of the rule book, and while I can understand the opinion of those that wanted matching to be limited to a province, rather than a coast, I feel that this clarification aligns more with the overall spirit of the rule. I believe multiple platforms are not compliant with the rule.

5. The last change relates to a conflict between two rules in previous editions, with one rule forbidding a retreat by a unit to "the province from which its attacker came" and the rule which permits two units to switch places if one or both are convoyed, the issue coming up when a convoy from an adjacent province succeeds and dislodges a unit. The new edition resolves the conflict:

"A dislodged unit can retreat to the position of the attacker when there is a convoy to an adjacent province. For example:

England: A Edi-Yor; F Nth C A Edi-Yor; A Lon S A Edi-Yor
Germany: A Yor H

The German army is dislodged from Yorkshire. If the army in Edinburgh had attacked via land to Yorkshire, then the German army could not retreat to Edinburgh. Since the attack is coming from the convoy in the North Sea, the army in Yorkshire can legally retreat to Edinburgh.
"

I have always been of the opinion that if a unit could have moved to a province successfully in the movement phase, the unit could be legally ordered to retreat to that province in the subsequent retreat phase. I think there are multiple platforms which are not compliant with this rule.

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:52 pm

Is there any reason why sites should be compliant with the latest publications from Hasbro, Incorporated? I'd be keen on knowing how they determine their rule changes before seeing them as anything other than suggestions
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

JECE

#6 Post by JECE » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:40 pm

Comparing with Stabbeurfou's errata for the 2000 rules, it seems like the first two issues remain uncorrected:
https://web.archive.org/web/20191228034 ... ro_en.html

The civil disorder rule is quite different in that it seems to prioritize keeping units in any supply center, not just home supply centers.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE

#7 Post by JECE » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:46 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:52 pm
Is there any reason why sites should be compliant with the latest publications from Hasbro, Incorporated? I'd be keen on knowing how they determine their rule changes before seeing them as anything other than suggestions
Take that up with Lucas B. Kruijswijk:
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/L.B.Kruijswijk/
See my full Profile:

David E. Cohen

#8 Post by David E. Cohen » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:07 pm

Octavious wrote:
Other than that these are the rules of the game? LOL

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:20 pm

David E. Cohen wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:07 pm
Octavious wrote:
They are one of many sets of rules for the game. If a kid gets diplomacy for Christmas he will play by his interpretation of whatever version of the rules happens to be in the box. If he joins a website he will play by whatever version of the rules is used by the website.

Now, it may be that the changes are good, in which case bully for everyone, but there's no reason to automatically assume Hasbro's latest musings are more authoritative than one of the versions written by Calhamer, or one of the website interpretations

captainmeme

#10 Post by captainmeme » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:32 pm

Octavious wrote:
As far as I can tell, they brought in a face to face tournament director (Tom Haver, who runs the events at GenCon and a couple of others) as an expert consultant and he made the rewrites/clarifications.

It's an attempt to bring the rulebook in-line with the way the game is played, which I think it does well at in most areas. But I'd say there's no requirement to update websites to match this rulebook, the purpose is the reverse of that.

David E. Cohen

#11 Post by David E. Cohen » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:16 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:20 pm
David E. Cohen wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:07 pm
Octavious wrote:
They are one of many sets of rules for the game. If a kid gets diplomacy for Christmas he will play by his interpretation of whatever version of the rules happens to be in the box. If he joins a website he will play by whatever version of the rules is used by the website.

Now, it may be that the changes are good, in which case bully for everyone, but there's no reason to automatically assume Hasbro's latest musings are more authoritative than one of the versions written by Calhamer, or one of the website interpretations
First off, its not Hasbro. Renegade bought the rights.

And no, the latest version of the rules published by the entity which owns the rights to the game is pretty much the definition of 'authoritative'. Departures from those rules, for whatever reason, and there are good ones, are pretty much in house rule, if not variant territory. Allowing communication in retreat and adjustnent phases is n excellent example.

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:18 pm

captainmeme wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:32 pm
Octavious wrote:
As far as I can tell, they brought in a face to face tournament director (Tom Haver, who runs the events at GenCon and a couple of others) as an expert consultant and he made the rewrites/clarifications.

It's an attempt to bring the rulebook in-line with the way the game is played, which I think it does well at in most areas. But I'd say there's no requirement to update websites to match this rulebook, the purpose is the reverse of that.
Ah, that sounds dangerously close to being impressive. Arguably a tad Americentric, but I guess it is an American game at the end of the day. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Cheers, Cap

tjhaver

#13 Post by tjhaver » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:40 pm

Hi, everyone. Thought I would hop in to clarify a few items since I worked on the new edition with Renegade. I've volunteered for Hasbro/WotC for many years; it was through the Avalon Hill team at Hasbro that I was introduced to Renegade to consult on the new game. I run three Diplomacy tournaments per year and teach Diplomacy at events all over the US; I also run a local club and travel to Europe to play. Diplomacy is obviously my #1 game and something I love.

The 6th edition rules apply to the physical edition of the game. There is nothing to stop anyone who buys the game from houseruling as they see fit. It's your game and play with how you like. The same applies for online platforms as well. The variances can be challenging, especially if you expect one type of adjudication from past experience and get a different result on another platform; however, so long as the rules are clear it's ok because we're playing for fun.

David did a good job walking through some of the rules changes. Now that the game is published I can reveal a bit more about the process.

Every change to the rulebook had to be approved by Hasbro. This was part of the licensing agreement. The changes all required reasoning and/or evidence as well. So changes weren't made at random or via personal preference.

For one of those changes, previously Hasbro agreed to update the rules for the 1999 edition but the editor forgot to make the updates. That omission lasted 24 years until this latest edition. Several others changes were based upon customer feedback over the years, including various forums. ;)

Renegade took great care to research the history of the game. We leveraged rulebooks from almost every edition, not just the ones in the United States. Octavious should be pleased to learn that the one of the changes around the end game conditions came from the 1962 Intellectual Diversions edition of Diplomacy, published in the UK. Cheers to your countrymen for getting rules changes enacted 61 years after publication. It was truly an international affair, even including that Portuguese/Brazilian edition with 35 supply centers. Lucas's DATC were also a great reference point. While not all rules changes could be enacted for this edition, a good subset of them were resolved, including one disagreement that had been around since before I was born.

I hope that helps provide some context on the latest rules. I'm glad you're interested in the new edition and hope you picked up a copy of the game. Take care!

JECE

#14 Post by JECE » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:53 pm

That's all very interesting! Could you share the details on some of these changes? Learning that a 24-year-old error was corrected doesn't feel very satisfying to me when I don't know what the error was.
See my full Profile:

tjhaver

#15 Post by tjhaver » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:49 am

The 24 year change was the Civil Disorder disband rule update. Calhamer and Edi Birsan had it approved then it was accidentally left off the 1999 edition.

I'm not sure if posting external links is kosher for a new member, but I have a game unboxing writeup on BGG for Diplomacy that goes into some of the rules changes. That writeup covers both the components and the rulebook.

Diplomacy World #161 also has an interview with Renegade & myself on the new edition that sheds light on some of the development decisions.

JECE

#16 Post by JECE » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:01 am

Please share the links, tjhaver!
See my full Profile:

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#18 Post by A_Tin_Can » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:46 pm

This is great! Thanks Tom & David for the excellent writeups!

I was hoping for some clarifications on the rules of Ankara Crescent, but I suppose that will have to wait for the next edition.