please help me understand how these orders were resolved

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
carlosmonte

please help me understand how these orders were resolved

#1 Post by carlosmonte » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:25 am

https://webdiplomacy.net/beta/?gameID=574219

I'm new to this game so forgive me if I am asking a basic question. I have a screenshot but I don't see where I can attach it. Turn is autumn of 1912. I was going to lose anyway (one turn away from taking MAR to possible extend it!)

The move I am confused about is WAR to GAL. As I see it, two units are attacking and four are defending, yet the attack won. What am I missing?

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: please help me understand how these orders were resolved

#2 Post by Trigfea63 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 am

GAL was ordered to move, so the 3 support-hold orders all failed. A support-hold order is only valid if the supported unit doesn't move. That meant an attack from WAR with a force of 2 against a defense on GAL of 1, and the attack succeeded. If GAL had been ordered to hold, it would have been 2 against 4 as you say, and the attack would have failed.

Tugster

#3 Post by Tugster » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:21 am

off topic a bit, but the best way to win as turkey from the powerful position you were in in about 1905 is to bypass the Italian SC. Always go full bore for the one spot that will give you the game as turkey => MAO. Because then you get Iberia, and you can clean out the boot of Italy later. This would have prevented the German solo as well. Never slow down to take SC if it costs you MAO.

carlosmonte

#4 Post by carlosmonte » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:29 am

Trigfea63 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 am
GAL was ordered to move, so the 3 support-hold orders all failed. A support-hold order is only valid if the supported unit doesn't move. That meant an attack from WAR with a force of 2 against a defense on GAL of 1, and the attack succeeded. If GAL had been ordered to hold, it would have been 2 against 4 as you say, and the attack would have failed.
Oh that makes sense, thank you!

carlosmonte

#5 Post by carlosmonte » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 am

Tugster wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:21 am
off topic a bit, but the best way to win as turkey from the powerful position you were in in about 1905 is to bypass the Italian SC. Always go full bore for the one spot that will give you the game as turkey => MAO. Because then you get Iberia, and you can clean out the boot of Italy later. This would have prevented the German solo as well. Never slow down to take SC if it costs you MAO.
Okay, will try that next time! Is SC = subcontinent?

Bonatogether

#6 Post by Bonatogether » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:32 am

supply center = dot

JECE

#7 Post by JECE » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:09 pm

Screenshot:
https://webdiplomacy.net/map.php?gameID ... Type=large

Even from reading the official rulebook, what it means to 'support' can be unclear. But yes, as others have said, you either can support a unit's move or you can support a unit to hold (or issue its own support order).

Any of these support moves would have preserved your position in Gal to the endgame given Germany's orders:
  • Gal-War with support from Ukr
  • Rum-Gal with support from Bud
  • Bud-Gal with support from Rum
  • Ukr-Gal with support from Rum
  • Rum-Gal with support from Ukr
  • Bud-Gal wih support from Ukr
  • Ukr-Gal with support from Bud
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

carlosmonte

#8 Post by carlosmonte » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:25 pm

https://webdiplomacy.net/beta/?gameID=575106#gamePanel

I finally had my first win. Usually I get nuked pretty early but this one opened up for me. Had a little bit of luck in Autumn 1903 with ARM attempting to go BLA instead of ANK, and then in Autumn 1904 securing ION. For a while it looked like France was my arch nemesis, but they were fighting on two fronts and I only had one front.
But my big break came in Spring 1908 when England finished off Germany and went for France. France when in full retreat from me (presumably to fight England?), and after that it was mine to lose.

I don't feel I really did anything smart, I just let the computer make mistakes I guess.

carlosmonte

#9 Post by carlosmonte » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:26 am

https://webdiplomacy.net/beta/?gameID=576810

I think I could have won this a turn or two earlier by focusing on Munich, but as it stands it is 100% stalemate, correct?