Bots, lives games and new units placements

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Spriithy

Bots, lives games and new units placements

#1 Post by Spriithy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi !

I'm new to Diplomacy, and webDiplo in particular :)

I've played a handful of games against bots and this led me to ask myself several questions, all of which I hope friendly people here will answer.

1. Why are bots playing so slowly ? I've happened to wait for about 5 to 10 minutes on average per lap, and discouraged me a bit...
2. Why are there so few live games ?
3. What are the rules of placing new units during build up phase ? Sometimes, I have to place 2 or 3 new units yet some of my unoccupied production centers aren't highlighted as to hint placing a new unit there.

Thanks in advance for your help !

HMU if you want to play a relaxed, live game !

Cheers,
Spriithy

Claesar

Re: Bots, lives games and new units placements

#2 Post by Claesar » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:50 am

Hi Spriithy,

1) The bots should not be that slow. Did you press the Ready button? If so, it should be a temporary server issue.

2) It's hard to get the right amount of people together at the same time for a game that will last 3-5 hours. I recommend joining the Blitz Press community viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4234

3) You can only build in unoccupied HOME production centres i.e. the 3-4 you start with.

Puddle

#3 Post by Puddle » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:32 pm

I'll second the slow bots issue. Been going on for about a week now where the bots (one or more) are taking 3-5 minutes to enter orders.

Spriithy

#4 Post by Spriithy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:22 pm

AH ! I've experienced the slow bots since I joined 10 days ago or so... and it's always either Germany or France which are slow...

Anyways, thanks for the reply !

As for building new units, what if the regions changed hands so much I don't own any of the centers I've started with ? I think I've experienced times where I couldn't build on unoccupied HOME regions even if they were empty...

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:47 am

Spriithy wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:22 pm
AH ! I've experienced the slow bots since I joined 10 days ago or so... and it's always either Germany or France which are slow...

Anyways, thanks for the reply !

As for building new units, what if the regions changed hands so much I don't own any of the centers I've started with ? I think I've experienced times where I couldn't build on unoccupied HOME regions even if they were empty...
Spriithy, if you don't own home centres then you can't build. Please link any game where you experience being unable to build on unoccupied HOME centres. That has never happened before, so I believe you're misremembering.

Gowron

#6 Post by Gowron » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:52 am

They also need to be your own home centers, so e.g. France will never be able to build in Munich.