Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

#1 Post by swordsman3003 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:49 pm

It's possible to simultaneously pursue multiple alliances—in fact, I strongly advise it. Check out this new piece!
Solo Win Tip #7: Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

I worked on this one for a long time, and it's pretty thorough. Hope you learn something!

Sunstriker

Re: Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

#2 Post by Sunstriker » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:37 am

Sweeeet! I'm excited to give this a read. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :DD

Carol

#3 Post by Carol » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:48 am

That was an interesting read. I always assumed that telling someone you're faking an alliance with a 3rd party would make them doubt your sincerity towards them. Though perhaps that's because I myself lean towards paranoia.

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by swordsman3003 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:55 pm

When playing a close alliance, it is important—critical, even—to convey to everyone else that you are NOT playing a close alliance; if you make the fact of your alliance too obvious, the other players will unite against you. A great way to stop players from uniting against your close alliance is to create Trojan Horse alliances with your victims (e.g., Russia and Italy play Wintergreen, but start with a Trojan Horse alliance with Austria to prevent an Austria/Turkey alliance from forming).

This is pretty common. At a high level of play, the point I just made is common knowledge. So, it's not bad form to say that are forming a sham alliance with an eventual enemy of your actual alliance. In fact, that may be the only way to prevail. Since it common and effective, this kind of play isn't any more inherently suspicious than anything else.

VillageIdiot

#5 Post by VillageIdiot » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 pm

I can relate to all of this. Another great article!

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by swordsman3003 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:47 pm

I got a really positive response on this article from experienced players; thanks VI!