Gunboat Diplomacy Stalemate Lines

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
leon1122

Re: Gunboat Diplomacy Stalemate Lines

#21 Post by leon1122 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:46 am

I see. Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. I hadn't considered the possibility that Italy might actively throw to Austria, and his defensive moves in 1922 and 1923 suggest that he was prepared to resist Austria. I would expect the player who is stabbed to throw against the player who is actually stabbing him rather than the player who gave the backstabber the opportunity to stab. In this case, I would expect Italy to give his southern centers to Turkey rather than Austria. Even if Italy did throw his centers to Austria, wouldn't I have time to get into the Mediterranean myself to stop Austria before he can make a breakthrough in Turkey? After all, Austria doesn't have a fleet with which to stop me from penetrating the Mediterranean.