The guy I'm about to kill is reciting Poetry to me. What would you do next?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
flashthompson

The guy I'm about to kill is reciting Poetry to me. What would you do next?

#1 Post by flashthompson » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:15 pm

I've laid out the backstory to this in the video, but the long and short of this is that Italy attempted a brutal stab on me after I desperately tried to build a strong and loyal alliance with he and Russia. He has now resorted to (very well written) Poetry as a response. In my shoes, where do you go with this? When is the right time to let go of a grudge, make up with an erstwhile ally, and stab the board leader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29flEdToKY4

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: The guy I'm about to kill is reciting Poetry to me. What would you do next?

#2 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:23 pm

flashthompson wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:15 pm
I've laid out the backstory to this in the video, but the long and short of this is that Italy attempted a brutal stab on me after I desperately tried to build a strong and loyal alliance with he and Russia. He has now resorted to (very well written) Poetry as a response. In my shoes, where do you go with this? When is the right time to let go of a grudge, make up with an erstwhile ally, and stab the board leader?

I see you've played with emc

David E. Cohen

#3 Post by David E. Cohen » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:40 pm

My analysis would be simple: Which course of action results in a better chance at a solo? :-D

Either way, no reason you can't join in the poetical fun. I sometimes do so myself, though normally it would be in public press or an EOG statement, rather than in private communications.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:16 pm

I agree that it shows your archetype model to be a load of dingo's kidneys ;).

In terms of what you should do, I don't think it makes much difference. Italy is an entertaining player, so if you want to be entertained then don't kill him. Which doesn't mean that you can't keep fighting and taking centres off of him. Indeed, in may even encourage his poetry to develop. Hit him hard enough and you may get something Rimbaudian in nature :-D.

Always nice to see games like that. One of the few memorable games I've had involved the dedicated exchange of cake based insults over several years. Can't for the life of me remember what the result was, but it was a fun fight.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by dargorygel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:53 am

Dingo's have KIDNEYS??? Next you be telling me that CLAMS GOT LEGS.

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:00 am

dargorygel wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:53 am
Dingo's have KIDNEYS??? Next you be telling me that CLAMS GOT LEGS.
They can give you the runs, certainly

e.m.c^42

#7 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 pm

New England Fire Squad wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:23 pm
flashthompson wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:15 pm

I see you've played with emc
I won't deny it, it's terrible fun; I'm pretty impressed with the Italian in the video, since I almost never do long-form.

e.m.c^42

#8 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:21 pm

However, considering who's in the game, I'd suggest you treat the poetry no different from any other long-form press, condensed to just emotionally appealing, flowery wordering of "let's be friends again", since it's unlikely they'd be happy throwing away the game to shitpost. Keep your planned tactics and other in mind.

If you want poetry for fun, just continue whittling at the guy, and if you respond correctly (rhyme back at them! haikus are easy. limericks my favorite) they'll sing like a fucking rooster on the chopping block once at one or two SC.

(source; I spew poetry when in risk of being eliminated. Lol)

PRINCE WILLIAM

#9 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Poetry is fun! I once played a game in which all press was in haiku, I enjoyed it even though I lost (survived but another player soloed).
So, give the guy a second chance, he can prove a good ally.

flashthompson

#10 Post by flashthompson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:15 pm

David E. Cohen wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:40 pm
My analysis would be simple: Which course of action results in a better chance at a solo? :-D

Either way, no reason you can't join in the poetical fun. I sometimes do so myself, though normally it would be in public press or an EOG statement, rather than in private communications.
He did indeed address it to the world. Lots of spectacle there.

flashthompson

#11 Post by flashthompson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:16 pm
I agree that it shows your archetype model to be a load of dingo's kidneys ;).

In terms of what you should do, I don't think it makes much difference. Italy is an entertaining player, so if you want to be entertained then don't kill him. Which doesn't mean that you can't keep fighting and taking centres off of him. Indeed, in may even encourage his poetry to develop. Hit him hard enough and you may get something Rimbaudian in nature :-D.

Always nice to see games like that. One of the few memorable games I've had involved the dedicated exchange of cake based insults over several years. Can't for the life of me remember what the result was, but it was a fun fight.
He does indeed seem to be increasingly entertaining as the noose closes. The problem in this game is that everyone is entertaining, so we'll end up with nobody dead because they're too nice or too fun.

David E. Cohen

#12 Post by David E. Cohen » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:18 am

Not necessarily a bad thing.