Account Sitting

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
gnuvag

Account Sitting

#1 Post by gnuvag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:17 am

Hi all,

What are the conventions (if any) over account sitting, and specifically whether the other players in the game should be informed?

In my specific situation, I may be losing internet access for quite a while, and require someone to take over my current game, possibly to conclusion. It would seem polite to inform other players but I'm not sure if it's necessary or desirable, or if in fact some players might object and/or try to take advantage of the situation.

Any advice welcome...

pyxxy
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Account Sitting

#2 Post by pyxxy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:18 am

From the site rules, #7:
In general, account sitting (getting someone you trust to log on as you and issue orders when you are unable to) is encouraged. However, you must not get a sitter or sit for somebody you share games with. Also, anything done by the sitter whilst on your account is your responsibility, so make sure you're happy with that before you give them your password.
It is also your responsibility to change your password after allowing someone to use your account.

gnuvag

#3 Post by gnuvag » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks, I read those rules, but that doesn't really answer the question about how you should handle it in the game - i.e. should you tell all players globally? Only your allies? No-one?

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Not in our rules so entirely up to you.