A supported convoy beats a support held unit?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
OnlyShots

A supported convoy beats a support held unit?

#1 Post by OnlyShots » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:36 am

Hello, so was playing a game and I was wondering if this is fully mechanically true, or just in some specific scenarios: A supported convoy will beat a support held unit. I will provide a screenshot of a supported convoy beating a support held unit and a screenshot of my own theoretical moves featuring an exact same scenario. I would like to know if my theoretical moves will dislodge the unit and take the SC provided in the screenshot. Thank you anyone in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/LMWtzeK

BunnyGo

Re: A supported convoy beats a support held unit?

#2 Post by BunnyGo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:51 am

OnlyShots wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:36 am
Hello, so was playing a game and I was wondering if this is fully mechanically true, or just in some specific scenarios: A supported convoy will beat a support held unit. I will provide a screenshot of a supported convoy beating a support held unit and a screenshot of my own theoretical moves featuring an exact same scenario. I would like to know if my theoretical moves will dislodge the unit and take the SC provided in the screenshot. Thank you anyone in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/LMWtzeK
The short answer: No. A supported convoy will not beat a support held unit (unless you have MORE support on the attacking convoy than the held unit).

In your provided examples:

1) In your theoretical case, the convoy will bounce and no units will change locations.

2) In your actual case, the webdip notation has made it hard to see what actually happened (I suggest you get into the habit of clicking on the "orders" link at the bottom of the game page so you can just read the orders). The DISLODGED unit was offering support to the other unit. This was not helpful to the defense. Had the Victoria unit supported the dislodged unit, the convoy would have failed.

I hope this was helpful.

OnlyShots

Re: A supported convoy beats a support held unit?

#3 Post by OnlyShots » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 am

Ah, I see

Thank you! I did not see that the support was given the wrong way.