Newbie question: unit colours on map

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
sebt27

Newbie question: unit colours on map

#1 Post by sebt27 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi

New member here. Just thought I'd play a bot game or two to refresh my memory of the rules and the map. (I got thrashed, of course: there's no communication in those games.)

One thing that worries me is that the map doesn't tell me anything about whose unit is whose. Is there some setting I've overlooked? And is the map like that in real games?

(I have Realpolitik, which I'd use anyway: but no unit colours seems like a strange omission).

Claesar

Re: Newbie question: unit colours on map

#2 Post by Claesar » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:54 pm

sebt27 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 pm
Hi

New member here. Just thought I'd play a bot game or two to refresh my memory of the rules and the map. (I got thrashed, of course: there's no communication in those games.)

One thing that worries me is that the map doesn't tell me anything about whose unit is whose. Is there some setting I've overlooked? And is the map like that in real games?

(I have Realpolitik, which I'd use anyway: but no unit colours seems like a strange omission).
There should be a square around every unit with the country colour when they're outside their own territory. Have a look at Autumn 1901 in one of your bot games.

THC

#3 Post by THC » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi sebt,

I stuggle with the map here a little, too. But that's because it isn't what I'm used to, I guess.

The units are identified by colours but by a tab 'behind' the unit. You'll see this when a unit moves off a home space. So if you can't easily see what colour the unit is, the chances are it belongs to the power that controls the space.

To me, the map's crowded, especially with movement arrows. Again, though, there is a feature that allows you to enlarge the map - the middle icon below the map in game reports. I click on that, then click on the map that opens up, and it becomes full screen on my lappy. Much clearer then.

As another hint (because I think I fell foul of this in my game) the orders don't follow the ordering conventions of Dip. Rather than ordering a move from A to B, you need to order to B from A.

But you'll get used to it. If I can, anyone can.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by gimix » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 am

Just to clarify a bit further:
THC wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 pm
The units are identified by colours but by a tab 'behind' the unit. You'll see this when a unit moves off a home space. So if you can't easily see what colour the unit is, the chances are it belongs to the power that controls the space.
When a unit is at sea or in a supply centre owned by someone else you'll see the tab behind it. When a unit is in a territory owned by its power then the whole territory has the proper color (note: supply centres change colors only in Autumn, while the other sectors change as soon as a unit enters them)
THC wrote:
To me, the map's crowded, especially with movement arrows. Again, though, there is a feature that allows you to enlarge the map - the middle icon below the map in game reports. I click on that, then click on the map that opens up, and it becomes full screen on my lappy. Much clearer then.
You may also want to use preview mode (the rightmost icon just under the small map). It shows (only) the orders you have set for the current move instead of (all) the orders that have been executed last turn. And you may enlarge this view as well. The preview map will have a red border around it.
And finally, in User Profile there is an option to newer show the movement arrows that you can set on or off - not so convenient imho, but may be useful sometimes
THC wrote:
As another hint (because I think I fell foul of this in my game) the orders don't follow the ordering conventions of Dip. Rather than ordering a move from A to B, you need to order to B from A.
A normal "move" order is from A to B. Support move and Convoy orders though are reversed: A support move to B from C, or A convoy to B from C. Yes, it's a bit funny :?
Hope this is useful :-)

THC

#5 Post by THC » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:01 pm

Yep, I meant supporting a move. Like I say, though, you get used to it.