Is there a way to post anonymous global messages?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Luke_

Is there a way to post anonymous global messages?

#1 Post by Luke_ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm not new to Diplomacy but I'm new to webdiplomacy.net.

I'm used to playing on another website where you can send anonymouns global messages, which can be helpful when trying to spread rumours etc. Is this an option in the default form of messaging on this website? I can't seem to work out how to do it.

I also can't work out how to send messages to more than one person (but not everyone). For example if I wanted to get in cahoots with Russia and Ukraine, is there a way to start a thread of the three of us instead of just messaging them individually?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Claesar

Re: Is there a way to post anonymous global messages?

#2 Post by Claesar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Neither is possible here.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi Luke,

Copy and paste is the best way of sending the same message to multiple people. It will take a bit of getting used to and feel clunky at first, but I've always preferred it to Playdip's multi-person messaging system where it's so easy to lose track of who's said what to whom and when.

As for Playdip's anonymous public message option, have you really been in many games where it's not blatantly obvious who's posted them? It has some use in terms of comedy value, but far less so in terms of gameplay.

The best thing webDip has over Playdip is that you won't find the abomination that is a surrender button here.

Enjoy!

Luke_

#4 Post by Luke_ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:37 pm

I suppose I just liked that in group messages you could see what all parties privy to your message were saying in response to what you've written. Obviously what they write may be a direct lie that they contradict in a private message to another player in the thread, but I still found it could be telling. I take your point though.

I do agree anonymous public presses/global messages are mostly just used for comedic value, it's true they rarely change the gameplay dynamic and it is indeed usually clear who wrote them......but sometimes adding a little comedic value into the match is fun!

Thanks for your replies!

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 pm

Yeah, pretty much all the group messages I've written on Playdip were immediately followed up with private messages to give a more personal touch and my uncensored thoughts. When you're in a coalition of 4 or 5 players and 2 or 3 of you are more allied than the others and you can have several different chat groups going back and forth at the same time with various combinations of the same people... It's enough to drive you insane :razz:

Dejan0707

#6 Post by Dejan0707 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 pm

I would love to have anon global messages on webdip. I found good use of them in regular press games, it makes the game more interesting.

Public press game is where this feature really shine and I found it to be priceless in some situations. Good example how to use this feature is when you are being attacked by coalition. By carefull and occasional posts you can saw distrust very effectively. Messages has to be really well toned.

Other option playdip has (sending message to more than one receiver) I really dislike. It encourage people to pass those messages arround more often. In my opinion it makes the game less interesting with fewer twists happening.

Not to mention situation where someone being angry to some other player send 5 year long correspondence to everyone thus revealing all little tricks that person have in his arsenal. I hate it. Less copy/paste happening the better the game would be.

Just my personal preference. :-)

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:12 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone used the anonymous public messaging in Playdip games to have a very public and heated argument with themselves? Or is that just me? :razz:

Dejan0707

#8 Post by Dejan0707 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:17 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:12 pm
Out of curiosity, has anyone used the anonymous public messaging in Playdip games to have a very public and heated argument with themselves? Or is that just me? :razz:
I did that. So much fun. :-)

qrzy

#9 Post by qrzy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 am

I think the only better think in playdiplomacy (including the message system) is the graphics. :D