FvA openings

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

FvA openings

#1 Post by RoganJosh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 am

I have updated captainmeme's old article on FvA openings!

https://captainmeme.wordpress.com/2020/ ... roganjosh/

Besides just extending the text (in particular with respect to Fall 01 continuations), the biggest changes are that the Italian opening has been moved to the top tier and that most of the Bohemian variations has been excluded.

Also this updated article is primarily aimed at people who are just starting out with FvA.

Thanks to captainmeme for helpful comments, and for hosting the article on his blog.

captainmeme

Re: FvA openings

#2 Post by captainmeme » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:26 am

It was in serious need of the change!

The biggest change in the article is the upgrade of the Italian opening all the way from Tier 2 to Tier S. That was actually something Xorxes suggested too, almost immediately after the first article was published, but I never got around to updating it myself.

The Russian openings still hanging in there is a bit questionable because they seem at least somewhat unviable at a high level, but they haven't been played enough to say for sure.