Taking over a disorder

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
rick258

Taking over a disorder

#1 Post by rick258 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 pm

I am wondering how taking over disorders works against one's rating.
For instance, I took over two disorders to help the games move forward.
IE, I disbanded the last unit for the defeat of the disordered country.

I see that I am listed as defeated, do I also have a defeat credited to me as well even though I only thing I did in that particular game was clicked unit disbanded?

I am not rating oriented, just wondering.

And to the next point, if I take over a disordered country free of charge and at the other extreme, end up as solo, would I get the credit and points as though I was in the initial roster?

FlaviusAetius

Re: Taking over a disorder

#2 Post by FlaviusAetius » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm

rick258 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 pm

I see that I am listed as defeated, do I also have a defeat credited to me as well even though I only thing I did in that particular game was clicked unit disbanded?

And to the next point, if I take over a disordered country free of charge and at the other extreme, end up as solo, would I get the credit and points as though I was in the initial roster?
actually you get the points, with no penalty to you, you know how you have to put up some coins to participate in a game? not when you take over a country, you reap all of the awards, even the guy who you took the country over

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:51 pm

rick258 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Yes, it will count against your rating. We appreciate your efforts in helping games along though!
Yes, you keep all the point rewards that you are able to win, even though it was free to participate!

rick258

#4 Post by rick258 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Ok
Thanx
I just wanted to be clear.
I see that it can be frustrating to have a game stall, so I do not have a problem helping out.
I guess just call unit busters and I will help out.

Yaniv
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#5 Post by Yaniv » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm

My impression is that in webDiplomacy one's ranking is purely points based. While I appreciate how impressive a large number might be, I tend to also look at the distribution of wins v draws v loses. I would like to suggest to the powers that be that a loss due to the taking over of a country in civil disorder (unless it is before the very first move) be ignored. It would motivate individuals like me to more willingly take over in what are truly hopeless situations.

Dejan0707

#6 Post by Dejan0707 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:29 pm

Yaniv wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm
My impression is that in webDiplomacy one's ranking is purely points based. While I appreciate how impressive a large number might be, I tend to also look at the distribution of wins v draws v loses. I would like to suggest to the powers that be that a loss due to the taking over of a country in civil disorder (unless it is before the very first move) be ignored. It would motivate individuals like me to more willingly take over in what are truly hopeless situations.
I second this proposal. Statistics are important tool and much more telling than the number of points someone has.

chluke
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by chluke » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 am

Another factor to consider: I have seen many a player abandon games when they have a losing position, possibly (or maybe 'likely'??) because they don't want to take the GR rating loss. I've seen this with otherwise very reliable and highly ranked players as well.

If BOTH the player who starter AND the player who took over were rated/scored for the final result, perhaps fewer games would be abandoned.

Claesar

#8 Post by Claesar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:00 am

chluke wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 am
Another factor to consider: I have seen many a player abandon games when they have a losing position, possibly (or maybe 'likely'??) because they don't want to take the GR rating loss. I've seen this with otherwise very reliable and highly ranked players as well.

If BOTH the player who starter AND the player who took over were rated/scored for the final result, perhaps fewer games would be abandoned.
People who abandon a game score a loss for GR. Replacement players are also counted for their GR. All that you want is already active :-D

FlaviusAetius

#9 Post by FlaviusAetius » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 am

I take over a lot of abandoned games, now I know why my GR is always trash lol

chluke
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by chluke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 am

Claesar wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:00 am
chluke wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 am

People who abandon a game score a loss for GR. Replacement players are also counted for their GR. All that you want is already active :-D
Oh nice. Well done, as usual, mod team! Does someone who finds a replacement player for a losing position lose GR points for a loss too, or only if the leaving player CDs? (Seen several players leave ranked tournament games or high level games, for a replacement player to come in, and did not think the starting player's GR took a hit.)

Claesar

#11 Post by Claesar » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:33 am

chluke wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 am
... Does someone who finds a replacement player for a losing position lose GR points for a loss too, or only if the leaving player CDs? (Seen several players leave ranked tournament games or high level games, for a replacement player to come in, and did not think the starting player's GR took a hit.)
I believe that still counts for GR, but I'm not 100% sure. I think it should.

rick258

#12 Post by rick258 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm

I have taken over some disorders, but my profile does not record them as having been taken over.
Is that because I was defeated in the game ?

Claesar

#13 Post by Claesar » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:21 pm

No, I believe this is a known bug. Let me check with the team.

Claesar

#14 Post by Claesar » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Yes, this is a known bug. It's on our list somewhere.

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#15 Post by Yonni » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:07 pm

Claesar wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:00 am
Are you sure that CDs work against someone's GR? And, if so, how are the winners' ghost ratings calculated - are they based off on the originally player or the replacement?

David E. Cohen

#16 Post by David E. Cohen » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:00 pm

There is a special place in Dip heaven for players who take over mercy positions.