Does displacement of a unit supporting against oneself cut that support?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Muscovy_Duck

Does displacement of a unit supporting against oneself cut that support?

#1 Post by Muscovy_Duck » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:07 am

As per title but I'll clarify:-

Usually a unit cannot cut support against itself, e.g. Munich attacks (with no support) an enemy army in Berlin, but Berlin supports an enemy army Kiel into Munich. Kiel takes Munich! Berlin is displaced.

But if Silesia supports Munich to (unsupported) Berlin, and the enemy in Berlin supports enemy Kiel to Munich, barring any other intervention, Munich advances to Berlin which is displaced, and Kiel moves into Munich.

But . . .

If in the above example friendly army Burgundy moves to Munich, then Kiel would be repulsed and stand still, as would Burgundy, because the support for Kiel into Munich was cut by Berlin being displaced (despite Munich effectively cutting support against itself).

It goes without saying that if Tyrol supported either Kiel or Burgundy into Munich the supported unit would succeed and enter Munich.

The 'string' of supports and counter-supports and attacks can continue, of course, so what if?

Berlin (supporting Kiel to Munich) was attacked as in the preceding example, but was itself supported to hold by say Prussia. So, Berlin holds, its support for the attack on Kiel is NOT cut and Kiel displaces Munich.

I'd appreciate confirmation, or condemnation (!), should my understanding be in error.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Re: Does displacement of a unit supporting against oneself cut that support?

#2 Post by RoganJosh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:35 am

It's not really clear in your example which units belong to the same power and which do not and, say, is the "friendly" unit in Burgundy yours or does it belong to an ally? So, I am not really sure which units are supporting "against oneself."

That said, I think the question has an simple answer:
Displacement of a unit cuts its support.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3 Post by gimix » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:54 am

I hope i understood correctly your last example. I checked it in jDip, here's the adjudication

Power 1:
A pru S A ber
A ber S A kie -> mun
A kie -> mun

Power 2:
A sil S A mun -> ber
A mun -> ber
- Bounced with ber (2 against 2)
- Dislodged from kie (2 against 1)

So yes, it seems you're correct

Mercy

#4 Post by Mercy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:22 pm

You're correct, Muscovy_Duck.

Muscovy_Duck

#5 Post by Muscovy_Duck » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks to all respondents.

It's good to know I've not being entirely wrong about this topic since day 1!