My resignation at webDiplomacy

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: My resignation at webDiplomacy

#21 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:14 am

Zultar, you did more for this site than most people will ever know. It was a pleasure and a privilege to work with you over this time.

Kestas, you're a power tripping asshat and I'd never help you again despite how much I care about the site.
Lead WebDip Dev, please email bug reports to [email protected]

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#22 Post by kestasjk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:11 am

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:14 am
Zultar, you did more for this site than most people will ever know. It was a pleasure and a privilege to work with you over this time.

Kestas, you're a power tripping asshat and I'd never help you again despite how much I care about the site.
Agreed re: zultar.

Sorry jmo it doesn't work to have an administrator, even an excellent one, step down from moderating the site saying they don't have time, yet still insisting on making site policy and moderation decisions a year later.

Hate that things worked out this way but when you were running things day to day I disagreed with you sometimes but you had total control/authority. If insisting you do me the same courtesy makes me a power tripping asshat then I'm guilt as charged.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#23 Post by kestasjk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:20 am

Chaqa wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:41 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:39 pm
kestasjk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm

jmo said he couldn't give enough time to run the site in 2022 and that there were no active mods, the mod e-mail had a big backlog, etc.

At the time every month I had to do a fair chunk of work for the Meta project so I couldn't help with mod work much. What changed is the Meta project work ended Aug/Sep last year so I could spend that time on webDip itself.

I've been catching up bit by bit, making changes to make it less need less time and experience to do well.
The ticket backlog is clear now, the multi-account suspicion/user queue is still backed up but the UI is showing the new data now.. getting there slow but sure.

Hope jmo or someone can take the lead with it again in future, he was v effective moderating the site and adding features for years, but in the meantime I'll see what I can do.

zultar and jmo definitely made the site what it is, and I hope jmo can come back on and they stay around.
If you're interested what I've done for the site; this is how it looked in 2010 when I was the only contributor, but we've all added lots of good stuff since:
0.90-screenshot.png
That's what it looked like in 2022.
I was gonna say, is that not just a light mode screenshot from a week ago?
Well there haven't been many changes to the core code, no, but lots of very valuable new features that people enjoy and use all the time were added by others in the team since then: Ghost ratings, points system updates, the NMR system, tournaments, dark mode, excused turns, variant ports from vDip, reliability ratings, UI improvements, better mobile support for the legacy UI, etc, etc.

Durga

#24 Post by Durga » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:53 am

But really the site owner making sexist comments is a bad look I thought this website couldn't drop any lower but guess I was wrong 💀

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#25 Post by kestasjk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:03 pm

Durga wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:53 am
But really the site owner making sexist comments is a bad look I thought this website couldn't drop any lower but guess I was wrong 💀
Throwing that label around over some internet drama dilutes the real meaning of it imo, but I understand

Jamiet99uk

#26 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:06 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:03 pm
Durga wrote:
Throwing that label around over some internet drama dilutes the real meaning of it imo, but I understand
Well, I posted a sincere thread marking International Women's Day and you felt it was appropriate to make a comment/joke, which quite a few people clearly felt came across as crass and apparently sexist. Next time, think twice before you do that, maybe?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

aarodactyl

#27 Post by aarodactyl » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:09 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:06 pm
kestasjk wrote:
Durga wrote:
Well, I posted a sincere thread marking International Women's Day and you felt it was appropriate to make a comment/joke, which quite a few people clearly felt came across as crass and apparently sexist. Next time, think twice before you do that, maybe?
From all the drama I’ve been reading on here recently, thinking even once before acting would be too big of an ask, let alone twice.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#28 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:50 pm

I won’t wade into stuff I’m not following as I haven’t been active in quite a bit.

But zultars contribution to this site and this hobby cannot be understated. Thank you for all the time and effort you spent here.

EvW

#29 Post by EvW » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:27 pm

It's quite astonishing that despite everyone telling him he's being a jerk, the admin doesn't seem to question himself in the slightest. Sad times. Guess I'll stick to vdip for now.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#30 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:21 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Durga wrote:
Explaining to women what dilutes the meaning of sexism...yep, you're killing it sir, keep up the good work!
Lead WebDip Dev, please email bug reports to [email protected]

Octavious

#31 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:32 pm

I'm really quite devastated that the only interesting thing to happen in the forum for years happened when I was asleep ;)

But a few things are worth saying

Without Kestas none of us would be here. He has put in a massive amount of work into the site, has acted with remarkable decency throughout.

It is always difficult when people you have respect for have a falling out. But we are only human and these things happen. I have no interest in getting to the bottom of what happened (ok, this may be a little bit untrue) and my respect for all parties will continue regardless.

The joke thing is such small beer it's not worth talking about.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Wusti

#32 Post by Wusti » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:20 pm

I have to agree with Octavious (god dammit) those jokes on the IWD were so very obviously tongue in cheek at worst.

There is a massive danger in turning any forum into a group thinkers paradise. This forum has long exhibited signs of such.

I am a crotchetty, ornery 50+ year old, and people today are so precious its almost sickening. This should not be read as disrespectful to any group, but as a society, the more PC it becomes the lower the tolerance levels for diversity of opinion and thought. I find this hilarious since the whole PC thing came out of a legitimate desire for more respectful discourse, but has been weaponised horribly.

Those who think everyone should think and discuss things the same way you do in a liberal sense are no better than the horrible right wing, white supremacist ranters - and the common thread is a lack of perspective, humour & respect.

Take a damn chill pill you goobers.
Octavious is an hypocritical, supercilious tit.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#33 Post by kestasjk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:15 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
kestasjk wrote:
Yep I'll think twice, but the joke was at the expense of someone who's comment sort of implied IWD was the one day you should respect women (I don't think that's what he meant, that's just how it read.. I just thought it was kind of funny)
Wusti wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:20 pm
I am a crotchetty, ornery 50+ year old, and people today are so precious its almost sickening. This should not be read as disrespectful to any group, but as a society, the more PC it becomes the lower the tolerance levels for diversity of opinion and thought. I find this hilarious since the whole PC thing came out of a legitimate desire for more respectful discourse, but has been weaponised horribly.

Those who think everyone should think and discuss things the same way you do in a liberal sense are no better than the horrible right wing, white supremacist ranters - and the common thread is a lack of perspective, humour & respect.
I've made this point myself to others Wusti, agree 100%, and it resonates.. I do hope the bar shifts here over time a bit..

One thing the thread about forum activity etc showed me, looking into the stats etc, is that people who post in the forum are a tiny segment of the total site these days, which gives some perspective on how small these dramas are.

Thanks to those who stuck your neck out for me here, and thanks to those who shared their thoughts that I was inappropriate; I will be thinking twice more.
Most of all thanks again to zultar I don't mean to hijack this thread.

jamesa7171

#34 Post by jamesa7171 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:42 pm

One thing the thread about forum activity etc showed me, looking into the stats etc, is that people who post in the forum are a tiny segment of the total site these days, which gives some perspective on how small these dramas are.
Out of curiosity, do you have stats on how many people view the forum, but don't post? It is a well-known Internet phenomenon that the vast majority of a site's users will typically never comment or contribute even if they are constantly consuming and observing others' contributions (see here for a Wiki page on this, or here for an example as applied to Reddit).

If there are 5 people commenting on a "drama situation" but 50 people reading it without commenting on it, then it is a bigger deal than it would first appear. (This is even more true when considering causal factors, i.e. maybe those people aren't contributing precisely because of the drama situations.)

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#35 Post by Doug7878 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:12 am

It was a pleasure having you around, zultar, and particularly fun having you lead the charge to teach Fairbot how to play FvA. Too bad the bugger got so good at it, but thats another story...

Bladerunners

#36 Post by Bladerunners » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:03 am

Thanks Zultar for all your hard work

As to the topic of “PC” - the forum is much nicer when people are asked to be PC and not attack others.

JECE

#37 Post by JECE » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:25 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:15 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
kestasjk wrote:
Yep I'll think twice, but the joke was at the expense of someone who's comment sort of implied IWD was the one day you should respect women (I don't think that's what he meant, that's just how it read.. I just thought it was kind of funny)
What world do you live in? So you recognized that gimix's post sounded off and you decided that the best course of action was to post something very clearly inappropriate? Two problematic posts, one right after the other (with the second much worse than the first), were posted by people in positions of authority near the very top of a thread dedicated to International Women's Day. You don't think that this derailed that thread? Talk about hijacking! It's an extremely bad look that could easily have been avoided by showing a tad of respect (or by not posting on that thread at all).
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#38 Post by kestasjk » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:42 am

JECE wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:25 pm
kestasjk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:15 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

What world do you live in? So you recognized that gimix's post sounded off and you decided that the best course of action was to post something very clearly inappropriate? Two problematic posts, one right after the other (with the second much worse than the first), were posted by people in positions of authority near the very top of a thread dedicated to International Women's Day. You don't think that this derailed that thread? Talk about hijacking! It's an extremely bad look that could easily have been avoided by showing a tad of respect (or by not posting on that thread at all).
So you thought gimix's post was "problematic" too? It supported women, supported IWD, it was just worded in a bit of a funny way. What world do you live in? :eyeroll: You can have the last word on this.

learnedSloth

#39 Post by learnedSloth » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:51 pm

The Internet connects billions, so that you can't turn right or left without offending someone, because the readers can take offence at anything. :eyeroll:
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#40 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:33 am

zultar wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 pm
Dear all,

I wanted to let you know that, after more than a decade of being a mod and a co-owner, I have decided to move on, in parts due to real life and the need to focus on my job and family. It has been my honor of serving this community for so long. I hope I have made the site more enjoyable for most of you.
zultar, thank you for the work you put towards the site during your tenure. I remember you being a fair, constructive, and steady leader in my brief stint as a mod. This site would not be what it is today without your dedication over these years, and your presence will be missed. I wish you all the best as you move on from here!