My resignation at webDiplomacy

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
zultar
Lifetime Site Contributor

My resignation at webDiplomacy

#1 Post by zultar » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 pm

Dear all,

I wanted to let you know that, after more than a decade of being a mod and a co-owner, I have decided to move on, in parts due to real life and the need to focus on my job and family. It has been my honor of serving this community for so long. I hope I have made the site more enjoyable for most of you.

Not unrelatedly, I do want to say that I highly disagree with Kestas’s posts last night and the subsequent actions. I don’t think the initial post was racist, but it was in extreme bad taste, particularly for a site owner. The post about women's international day was also sexist, at least to the women I have shown the posts too (but this is more minor in the scheme of things). Moreover and more importantly, the reactions and the subsequent actions of doxing jmo, unmodding him and other mods, and the emails were thoughtless, immature and irresponsible in my opinion. I am not going to air all that out in public, but this was a series of really poor judgement that was detrimental to the site, and disrespectful to jmo and the mod team who have worked tirelessly to make this site better. I am sorry my time here is done and I hope that the site will continue to get volunteers to make this place the premier Diplomacy site.

Sincerely,

zultar

Jamiet99uk

Re: My resignation at webDiplomacy

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:14 pm

Thank you for all your efforts over the years, Zultar.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3 Post by dargorygel » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:50 pm

Awww Zultar. Who will run (and forget occasionally) the Great Christmas Extravaganza Contest???

You will be messed, be well.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by Chaqa » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 pm

JECE

#5 Post by JECE » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:24 pm

Thanks for stepping up to the plate so many years ago and for sharing your thoughts and concerns, zultar.

Soooooo . . . PPSC, anyone?
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by bo_sox48 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:57 pm

PPSC will never happen on my watch

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by Chaqa » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:01 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:57 pm
Bo_sox for owner

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:11 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:57 pm
I tried playing diplomacy on a watch. The screen is much too small. I went back to using a computer.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:33 pm

As much as I disagreed with Zultar on one or two issues (give or take a hundred or so) it's impossible not to admire his dedication to the place. You'll be missed
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Lt Gen Lucky

#10 Post by Lt Gen Lucky » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:00 pm

JECE wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:24 pm

Soooooo . . . PPSC, anyone?
As a choice to be offered - yes, please!

Fluminator

#11 Post by Fluminator » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:36 am

Does this mean I'm never getting my interview prize from the 2021 Christmas draw?

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#12 Post by gimix » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 am

dargorygel wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:50 pm
You will be messed, be well.
Brilliant pun by Darg, as usual. But Zultar will be missed, and we will be messed.

Thanks for everything Zultar, buona vita

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#13 Post by kestasjk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:45 pm

As discussed sorry to see you go Zultar, hope you drop by and check on things every so often and you're always welcome

Never meant to disrespect jmo, and I certainly didn't mean to show his/my gmail in a screen snippet, which I apologized to him for. I'm so used to e-mails being public info I just didn't consider it. Jmo's e-mail title "You Stupid Fuck" hit the mark :lol:

Jmo and yourself have made the site what it is, I've got nothing but appreciation for all the effort you've put in, so apologies for any perceived disrespect.

Durga

#14 Post by Durga » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:20 pm

Why did the owner who never even logged in suddenly push away all the mods and admins who have actually made this site what it is? I wonder what changed.....

Good bye zultar, I will always remember you for changing my username ❤️

Jamiet99uk

#15 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:28 pm

DemonOverlord wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:20 pm
Why did the owner who never even logged in suddenly push away all the mods and admins who have actually made this site what it is? I wonder what changed.....

I second that. Thanks Zultar.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#16 Post by kestasjk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm

Durga wrote:

jmo said he couldn't give enough time to run the site in 2022 and that there were no active mods, the mod e-mail had a big backlog, etc.

At the time every month I had to do a fair chunk of work for the Meta project so I couldn't help with mod work much. What changed is the Meta project work ended Aug/Sep last year so I could spend that time on webDip itself.

I've been catching up bit by bit, making changes to make it less need less time and experience to do well.
The ticket backlog is clear now, the multi-account suspicion/user queue is still backed up but the UI is showing the new data now.. getting there slow but sure.

Hope jmo or someone can take the lead with it again in future, he was v effective moderating the site and adding features for years, but in the meantime I'll see what I can do.

zultar and jmo definitely made the site what it is, and I hope jmo can come back on and they stay around.
If you're interested what I've done for the site; this is how it looked in 2010 when I was the only contributor, but we've all added lots of good stuff since:
0.90-screenshot.png

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#17 Post by Chaqa » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:55 pm

Jamiet69uk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:28 pm
DemonOverlord wrote:

I second that. Thanks Zultar.
Good one Jimbo

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:39 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm
Durga wrote:

jmo said he couldn't give enough time to run the site in 2022 and that there were no active mods, the mod e-mail had a big backlog, etc.

At the time every month I had to do a fair chunk of work for the Meta project so I couldn't help with mod work much. What changed is the Meta project work ended Aug/Sep last year so I could spend that time on webDip itself.

I've been catching up bit by bit, making changes to make it less need less time and experience to do well.
The ticket backlog is clear now, the multi-account suspicion/user queue is still backed up but the UI is showing the new data now.. getting there slow but sure.

Hope jmo or someone can take the lead with it again in future, he was v effective moderating the site and adding features for years, but in the meantime I'll see what I can do.

zultar and jmo definitely made the site what it is, and I hope jmo can come back on and they stay around.
If you're interested what I've done for the site; this is how it looked in 2010 when I was the only contributor, but we've all added lots of good stuff since:
0.90-screenshot.png
That's what it looked like in 2022.

Flame

#19 Post by Flame » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:09 pm

Dear Zultar! Having met the Diplomacy in your life you will never leave it.
It's like Churchill gave goodbyes to smoking thousand times in his life.
WebDiplomacy enthusiast. Adaptor of webdiplomacy variants: Classic Cataclysm, Classic 1898, Classic 1898 Fog of War, Punic Wars, Western World 901, 13th Century Mongolian Empire, Speed Europa, Minor Power.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#20 Post by Chaqa » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:41 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:39 pm
kestasjk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm
Durga wrote:

0.90-screenshot.png
That's what it looked like in 2022.
I was gonna say, is that not just a light mode screenshot from a week ago?