webDiplomacy.net new server

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
Tjappator

Re: webDiplomacy.net new server

#61 Post by Tjappator » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:30 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:43 am
Ah thanks I think I missed that. Okay, I think this should be straightforward.

Good news that it seems smoother. Are there any pages in particular or just in general?

Votes previously caused an immediate process in the board code. The api/board code is best to tally votes/orders but not a good place to do game processing, deadlocks are inevitable. So instead it'll set a flag that will queue it for gamemaster. At the moment I don't think the gamemaster recognizes vote situations, which I'll check and resolve asap.

On that topic the server has some new tech to help with performance, memcached a quick caching engine, since there was a lot of repetitive queries that the built-in cache wasn't using, and it's good for firing messages like that around as well without needing to start up a database connection which is costlier than I might have thought.

There will still be a small delay so it won't be as snappy until we improve the tech, but it should be fine (we'll see).

As far as I know, none of my matches (they are all anon so I can't link them, but with your godlike powers you should be able to see them) have been processed by all players being ready.
Ofcourse I can only confirm that there it isn't proceeding, while it should be, on one match. I strongly suspect that in some of my other matches all players have readied up, yet it is not proceeding (but again you should be able to check that with your godlike powers).
It is also not delayed, since in the match that I can confirm it (due to me being the only player with orders), I have been ready for the past ~20 hours (with some moments where I ready/unready/ready to see if that would change anything).

So my assumption is: the "processing server" does not trigger on "all players ready" for all games.

michaelf77

#62 Post by michaelf77 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:12 pm

I have the same : games stuck with all players ready:
https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366078

Tjappator

#63 Post by Tjappator » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:09 pm

michaelf77 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:12 pm
I have the same : games stuck with all players ready:
https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366078
It's not stuck, it will process IF AND ONLY IF the timer for the phase has reached 0.

It just doesn't recognize that all powers have readied up and are ready to go to the next phase ahead of time.

FxFocus

#64 Post by FxFocus » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:48 pm

If my experience is typical then bot games currently take an hour to process the first move and 3 days for each move thereafter?

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#65 Post by kestasjk » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Okay I've changed the functionality so that when a player sees that all members are ready it leaves a hint/flag for the gamemaster to process it next round, rather than it getting processed within the board directly. Let's see how this goes

Nescio

#66 Post by Nescio » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:02 pm

Unfortunately, it seems bots no longer give orders: https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366438

FxFocus

#67 Post by FxFocus » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Nescio wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:02 pm
Unfortunately, it seems bots no longer give orders: https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366438
Not positive but I think the bots have completed their orders and are ready to move on but the game will not progress until the time runs out.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#68 Post by kestasjk » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:43 pm

The bots weren't giving orders briefly there, thanks for letting me know about that, and there was some brief gamemaster downtime. Just getting more familiar with how memcached works in practice

Nescio

#69 Post by Nescio » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:19 pm

And another thing I noticed just now: the dates are off.
I finished https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366522 yesterday and https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366576 today.
Those games state they're finished on Sunday 11 July and Monday 12 July, respectively.
However, today is Friday 9 July.

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#70 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:56 pm

Nescio wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:19 pm
I finished https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366522 yesterday and https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=366576 today.
Those games state they're finished on Sunday 11 July and Monday 12 July, respectively.
However, today is Friday 9 July.
That's always been the case. The end date is the date of the next phase would end.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#71 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:30 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:56 pm
Nescio wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:19 pm
That's always been the case. The end date is the date of the next phase would end.
It's not always been the case, but it certainly has been the case for quite some time. It's not a new problem introduced by the server change.

FxFocus

#72 Post by FxFocus » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:14 pm

I hesitate to report this as I wonder why no one else has reported it?
Whenever I ready my orders in a bot game I have to refresh the page multiple times before reaching the next phase. Sometimes many, many times which is a bit tedious. I never get to see the button I used to see for moving to next phase?

Claesar

#73 Post by Claesar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:34 am

FxFocus wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:14 pm
Whenever I ready my orders in a bot game I have to refresh the page multiple times before reaching the next phase. Sometimes many, many times which is a bit tedious. I never get to see the button I used to see for moving to next phase?
There was never a button for moving to the next phase. It takes a bit longer now, indeed

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#74 Post by kestasjk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:29 am

How long would you say you have to wait for? It shouldn't really take very long, the rate should be once every 5 seconds or so

Tjappator

#75 Post by Tjappator » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 am

It could be a coincidence, but I have noticed this 3 times now:

-A game updates at the exact moment I open the link to the game to look at my orders.

If you want the specific occurences, you would have to DM me, since they are anon games.

DougJoe

#76 Post by DougJoe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Claesar wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:34 am
FxFocus wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:14 pm
There was never a button for moving to the next phase. It takes a bit longer now, indeed
I would guess that FxFocus is referring to the "click here" link (not button) that used to appear when the bot game had immediately processed after clicking the "Ready" button?

Tjappator

#77 Post by Tjappator » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Tjappator wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 am

-A game updates at the exact moment I open the link to the game to look at my orders.

If you want the specific occurences, you would have to DM me, since they are anon games.
This happened again.

Gowron

#78 Post by Gowron » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:09 pm

Tjappator wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:09 pm
Tjappator wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 am

This happened again.
Did you create those games, Tjappator? I saw that last night in the anonymous classic game I created. I think it is an effect of this:
kestasjk wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pm
Okay I've changed the functionality so that when a player sees that all members are ready it leaves a hint/flag for the gamemaster to process it next round, rather than it getting processed within the board directly. Let's see how this goes
It seems like some games are sitting there with all players readied up, waiting for a player to look at them again so they'll be processed.

Tjappator

#79 Post by Tjappator » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:24 pm

Gowron wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:09 pm

Did you create those games, Tjappator? I saw that last night in the anonymous classic game I created. I think it is an effect of this:
kestasjk wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pm
It seems like some games are sitting there with all players readied up, waiting for a player to look at them again so they'll be processed.
No I haven't created those games.

I think Kestasjk means the "virtual" gamemaster, as in the code that processes all the moves and calculates the results for the next round, not an actual real-life gamemaster.

It might be an effect of it, but as I understood it, it should only delay it by a (couple of) minute(s). Not wait like its a schrodingers box where you need to observe the game (open the shoebox) to observe the state of the game (cat)

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#80 Post by kestasjk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 pm

Hmmm.. well you do need to view the game in order for it to get marked that processing is ready.

The idea is that previously games would get processed when they needed processing and were viewed by a user, so instead the game is flagged as being ready for processing when viewed by a user and should then get processed within a few seconds after that.

You might think why not have the gamemaster check whether games are ready instead of the user, but this isn't ideal since it means the gamemaster needs to search all active games and do calculations re: orders, votes, game timeouts, etc, every few seconds.

@Tjappator:
- Are you experiencing delays where games don't process for over 30 seconds, or is the problem that games only process when viewed, (and didn't you find that games would only processed when viewed before the server move as well)?

Are you experiencing this issue mainly/exclusively with bot games?