webDiplomacy.net new server

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: webDiplomacy.net new server

#81 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:21 pm

Idk if this makes sense since I haven't read that part of the gamemaster or board code, but when a player hits ready would it make sense for the board code to check if all players are readied up in just that game and set a flag for the gamemaster code then?

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#82 Post by kestasjk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:24 pm

Yep that should be what it's doing. Previously in that circumstance the game would get processed immediately within the board page itself, but now a flag is written so that the gamemaster knows to process the game next round (which should occur every 15 seconds or so)

Tjappator

#83 Post by Tjappator » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:13 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 pm
@Tjappator:
- Are you experiencing delays where games don't process for over 30 seconds, or is the problem that games only process when viewed, (and didn't you find that games would only processed when viewed before the server move as well)?

Are you experiencing this issue mainly/exclusively with bot games?
I'm only playing non-bot games.

All I can say is that I've noticed games processing the EXACT moment I look at/open the game. Ofcourse it might be that its a coincidence that just at that moment all players have readied up... but it happened 5+ times now, so perhaps the game doesnt process when a player readies up and then closes the game?

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#84 Post by Trigfea63 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:44 pm

I am experiencing the same, in all-human games. One game is a chaos game. There are maybe 20 players left, and I can see in the "My Games" preview panel on the home page when all 20 of us have entered orders, and when all 20 of us have readied up. Even when we are all readied up, the game doesn't process. However, if I see everyone is readied up and I open the game and view it, and then go back to the home page, the game processes immediately. Before the server move, this was not happening.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#85 Post by Trigfea63 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:00 am

I should add, I don't consider this to be a major issue with the site. The games always process at the deadline regardless.

Tjappator

#86 Post by Tjappator » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:28 am

I agree, if it is an issue and not a coincidence, it is only a small one. The website is already a lot more stable than it was.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#87 Post by kestasjk » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:34 pm

Thanks guys, that is good news. I've made a change so that right after order submission there is now a check to see if the game needs to be processed, but now that I think about it I'm not sure if that's the issue here.

The problem is that everyone is Ready and has voted that they're Ready in a game it doesn't process until another person looks at the board page? (So that if the last person to click Ready refreshed the page after clicking Ready it would then process?)

Tjappator

#88 Post by Tjappator » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:51 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:34 pm
Thanks guys, that is good news. I've made a change so that right after order submission there is now a check to see if the game needs to be processed, but now that I think about it I'm not sure if that's the issue here.

The problem is that everyone is Ready and has voted that they're Ready in a game it doesn't process until another person looks at the board page? (So that if the last person to click Ready refreshed the page after clicking Ready it would then process?)
That could be the problem yes, however it might also just be a coincidence. I have not tested it thoroughly, I only mentioned what I observed in a couple of games.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#89 Post by kestasjk » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Righto, well let's see how it goes. The change shouldn't have any negative effects at least

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#90 Post by Trigfea63 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:17 pm

I'm playing in several games, I'll see if I can test over the next few days whether a different person has to open the board page after the last person readies. It might be enough if the last person readies, closes the page, then reopens it.

Randomizer

#91 Post by Randomizer » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:29 pm

I know from a few weeks ago that it definitely didn't process unless another player looks at the board after everyone else has readied their orders. I was sole retreat order and no matter how many times I looked and not ready/ready order it wouldn't update until the full time had passed. It still seems that way.

Randomizer

#92 Post by Randomizer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:58 pm

I can confirm from a few hours ago, that a different player has to open a game after all players have readied their moves for it to advance.

In the Retreat phase there was only one player with a move and after it was readied, I as a different player open the game. It showed all players readied and when I refreshed, the game had advanced.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#93 Post by Trigfea63 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:15 am

Randomizer wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:29 pm
I know from a few weeks ago that it definitely didn't process unless another player looks at the board after everyone else has readied their orders. I was sole retreat order and no matter how many times I looked and not ready/ready order it wouldn't update until the full time had passed. It still seems that way.
Try this again now, I believe Kestas made a change to the programming. I'm finding it doesn't matter who is the last player to ready their orders. I can cause the game to advance by opening it. If you are the last to ready orders, after you ready, close out of the game by clicking on Home, then open the game again (don't change anything, i.e., don't change from ready to not ready), then close out again. When I do this, I find the game advances. If someone else is last to ready, just opening and then closing the game does it.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#94 Post by kestasjk » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:47 am

Okay I think I've found what's going wrong; there was a hook in ajax.php that meant when orders were submitted that could act as a trigger, but I was looking in the vote code.

Processing should hopefully continue when all players are ready now, but let me know how it goes.

TheMadMonarch

#95 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:05 am

We have a cookies banner now?

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#96 Post by kestasjk » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:35 am

Afraid so :( I don't think they're very worthwhile myself, but what can you do :raging:

Gowron

#97 Post by Gowron » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:19 am

If the big technical issues are fixed, I have a couple suggestions. I saw these first two issues come up with people who never played Diplomacy before.

https://webdiplomacy.net/intro.php should say there are Spring and Autumn phases each year, and ownership of supply centers is only calculated at end of Autumn retreat / beginning of Autumn build phase. (This was the biggest problem.)

It should also say you need 18 supply centers to win.

And a very minor preference of mine: I wish old messages would say whether they were sent during diplomacy, retreat, or build phase.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#98 Post by Trigfea63 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:34 am

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:47 am
Okay I think I've found what's going wrong; there was a hook in ajax.php that meant when orders were submitted that could act as a trigger, but I was looking in the vote code.

Processing should hopefully continue when all players are ready now, but let me know how it goes.
Whatever you just did seems to have solved it. Games now process when everyone has readied.

Also, though it may be obvious from the lack of continuing complaints, the "sticking" problem where pages wouldn't load is a thing of the past.

Thanks for keeping the site going. I'm new here, and it's great!

larkin

#99 Post by larkin » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi,
Is there an introduction thread?
My name is Larkin. I live in New England and I'd like to play Diplomacy.
I am gullible and easily manipulated. I expect that I would need some tutoring in online play so I would probably make a perfect puppet. Oh no! I'm having an anxiety attack...
Larkin

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#100 Post by kestasjk » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:14 pm

Gowron wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:19 am
If the big technical issues are fixed, I have a couple suggestions. I saw these first two issues come up with people who never played Diplomacy before.

https://webdiplomacy.net/intro.php should say there are Spring and Autumn phases each year, and ownership of supply centers is only calculated at end of Autumn retreat / beginning of Autumn build phase. (This was the biggest problem.)

It should also say you need 18 supply centers to win.

And a very minor preference of mine: I wish old messages would say whether they were sent during diplomacy, retreat, or build phase.
Hmm, that all seems sensible, thanks for the feedback