Development Updates - Game Search

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Development Updates - Game Search

#1 Post by jmo1121109 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:48 am

Hey everyone,

Take a minute to check out our very nicely redesigned Games page. Available via "Search -> Game Search" on the menu. The tabs have been redesigned for 100% accuracy, the paging was designed to fix about a million bugs with the old system, and the search page was 100% redone to simplify the previous convoluted page which was confusing to use.

This was easily the largest project squigs44 has undertaken with his development changes and it turned out quite nicely so please reward him with +1's when he posts on this thread.

This redone paging and searching should be coming to other parts of the site like profile game search soon.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Re: Development Updates - Game Search

#2 Post by Squigs44 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 am

jmo, you should know by now that you should never use the term 100% accuracy in a post about development.

If anyone encounters any bugs with this, please post in here so we can fix them. As jmo said, it was a lot of code to rewrite, so there are bound to be a few errors, despite my best efforts to catch them.

Probably the most useful feature that is on there is if you go to the search tab there is a dropdown called joinable. This tab can filter down to show only games that you can join, which should make hunting for a new game to join much easier instead of wading through 6 pages of private games or whatever. You can also set all of the other settings to match your preferences, filter by bet size or phase length, and sort by a couple different things.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Mon May 20, 2019 9:17 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 am
jmo, you should know by now that you should never use the term 100% accuracy in a post about development.
I think that's a matter of semantics. The way I read Jmo's post, it says "the dingus is redesigned (aiming) for 100% accuracy". Even it turns out to be only 30% accurate, the statement is still true (but the developer looks like a failure). So perhaps that's why you're uncomfortable with the paragraph :smirk:

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#4 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 am

Squigs, this is amazing! That non-functional search needed replacing. You deserve all the +1s you can get.

I have a question, though. 'Messaging Type' has multi-option checkboxes, but the rest are single-option dropdowns. Is there a reason for the difference? Can the rest of the fields also be filtered by multiple criteria? For example, would it be possible to search for all FvA and GvI games at the same time?

damo666

#5 Post by damo666 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 am

Much nicer. Particularly appreciate the bet size filter.
I'm guessing PF answered his own question in that messaging type is the only multi selection available all others being single selection. Correct?

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#6 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Hmm I can see how I was unclear.

Is it possible to make the other fields take multiple options, from a future development standpoint.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#7 Post by jmo1121109 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Hmm I can see how I was unclear.

Is it possible to make the other fields take multiple options, from a future development standpoint.
Which ones, just the variants? Some of them didn't seem to make a ton of sense being multi field options.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#8 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Mon May 20, 2019 3:21 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 pm
Which ones, just the variants? Some of them didn't seem to make a ton of sense being multi field options.
Variants especially, I think could benefit. Yet, is there any reason not to make all fields with more than 2 (+ all) options to allow multiple concurrent choices?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#9 Post by Squigs44 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 am
Squigs, this is amazing! That non-functional search needed replacing. You deserve all the +1s you can get.

I have a question, though. 'Messaging Type' has multi-option checkboxes, but the rest are single-option dropdowns. Is there a reason for the difference? Can the rest of the fields also be filtered by multiple criteria? For example, would it be possible to search for all FvA and GvI games at the same time?
Yes, there is a reason. The old search page was all checkboxes, and the combination of checkboxes was convoluted. I wanted the page to not be a minefield of checkboxes. Messaging was one of the later ones I did, and I saw merit in having the ability to search among both fullpress and rulebook, so I tried out the checkboxes and there they are.

Among the remaining options, really only Variant, Scoring, and Excused Missed Turns would make sense to have multiple select. Variant just has so many options that it would litter the page with checkboxes. I'm just trying to think from a design standpoint how to make the page both simple but flexible.