Notice - Disabling Old PM System

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Notice - Disabling Old PM System

#1 Post by bo_sox48 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:45 am

Work is currently underway to disable the old webDip PM system. What this means is this:

a) I am currently working on disabling accessibility for sending PMs through the old system. That will be done within the next few days, if not sooner. You will not be able to send new PMs through the old system once this is done.

b) You will still be able to read your old PMs as usual in your home page notices until June 1. At that time (or shortly thereafter depending on how busy my life is), they'll be removed from the home page and you will not be able to read them. We do not distribute old PM logs or anything of that sort, so if you want to save something on your home page, do so sooner rather than later but definitely prior to June 1.

c) Functionality to automatically create a forum account for new players does not currently exist. We are working on fixing this, but for the time being, new players will not be able to send or receive PMs until they visit the new forum. I am working on a quick fix to this to ensure new players know what they need to do in order to access private messages in the meanwhile but we hope that this issue is figured out in the near future. New players do have a link to the private message system on the header, and clicking this link does enable them to both send and receive private messages automatically.

d) There will be a banner announcing this (as well as linking to this thread, so if any new player clicks it they will automatically create their forum account and thus have access to their inbox), but for the moment we are prioritizing new moderator volunteers. Once we have a fair number of volunteers, we'll change the banner.

I fully expect that a number of players will be unhappy about this, but the new PM system is the way we are going. We will continue to work on accessibility to that system to the best of our abilities down the road and make it even better, but as of right now, it is already better than the old system because you can stash and save your messages, read messages without being interrupted by other PM chains, and it does not clog up your home page. It will only get better with time.

As always, feel free to ask any questions here in this thread.

webDip Admin

Durga

Re: Notice - Disabling Old PM System

#2 Post by Durga » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:55 am

I am not happy

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#3 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:01 am

And a big thanks to bo for doing the development work on this. We've gotten frequent feedback that our dual pm system's are confusing to new members and people from other sites, so this will be a nice change to have. It should be especially seamless with the new menu having a direct link to your pm inbox available to you.

Percy Williams

#4 Post by Percy Williams » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:06 am

I've been here for a couple months now, and didn't know there were two PM systems. I use Mobile mode almost exclusively, so is that why I haven't seen this other world? Or is the Mod team here so good that I just haven't noticed another seamless transition?

Magnetic24

#5 Post by Magnetic24 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:08 am

Percy Williams wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:06 am
I've been here for a couple months now, and didn't know there were two PM systems. I use Mobile mode almost exclusively, so is that why I haven't seen this other world? Or is the Mod team here so good that I just haven't noticed another seamless transition?
http://webdiplomacy.net/index.php?notices=on
This is a link for the other private message link that will disappear (unless I'm flipping them.)

Although I use this much more often, I'm glad that redundancy is being removed. Good work mod team (obviously especially bo and jmo!)

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by bo_sox48 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:20 am

Magnetic24 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:08 am
Percy Williams wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:06 am
http://webdiplomacy.net/index.php?notices=on
This is a link for the other private message link that will disappear (unless I'm flipping them.)

Although I use this much more often, I'm glad that redundancy is being removed. Good work mod team (obviously especially bo and jmo!)
The link won't disappear because it still holds your game notices. It will simply look different and not contain your private messages.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by New England Fire Squad » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:18 am

Attempted to send a couple of pm's using new system. They won't leave the 'outbox' and go to 'sent box'. Do I have to do something to activate this properly?

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 am

I could very well be wrong but I believe they stay in the outbox until the recipient has logged in, but they are sent.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by New England Fire Squad » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:21 am

bo_sox48 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 am
I could very well be wrong but I believe they stay in the outbox until the recipient has logged in, but they are sent.
Ah wonderful, tyvm.