New Rule Regarding Game Press

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
Ogion

Re: New Rule Regarding Game Press

#21 Post by Ogion » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:45 pm
Ogion wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 pm
Fantastic.

I ended up quitting the tournament at PlayDip and i'm never going back there because they fully supported racist and homophobic press. Nice to see Webdip is a much more civilized place.
This is incorrect and absurd. PlayDiplomacy does not support racist and homophobic press.
Oh, it absolutely does. In the tournament there were repeated and clear instances of slurs and the so forth and the mods basically shrugged and called it "buzzsaw diplomacy" some such lame excuse. I immediately surrendered out of their tournament and will never return under any circumstances.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#22 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 pm

Ogion wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:29 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Ogion wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 pm
Fantastic.

I ended up quitting the tournament at PlayDip and i'm never going back there because they fully supported racist and homophobic press. Nice to see Webdip is a much more civilized place.
This is incorrect and absurd. PlayDiplomacy does not support racist and homophobic press.
Oh, it absolutely does. In the tournament there were repeated and clear instances of slurs and the so forth and the mods basically shrugged and called it "buzzsaw diplomacy" some such lame excuse. I immediately surrendered out of their tournament and will never return under any circumstances.
It is incorrect that PlayDiplomacy supports racist or homophobic press. That kind of press is against the site rules, and the moderators there remove that kind of language, and punish those responsible, similar to what they do here.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I have great confidence that you are not describing your experience accurately.

I have played at Playdiplomacy for four years, and I have not witnessed any racial, homophobic, or other inappropriate press. I find the community there to exhibit a high standard in that regard, similar to the community here. Since I have not witnessed that sort of press, I have not personally witnessed site moderators dealing with it. However, I searched the forum for "homophobic," and found a few instances when that sort of press was reported. In each instance, it was dealt with swiftly.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#23 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:09 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:55 am
Does this mean we're bringing to an end the age old diplomatic tradition of making jokes about getting one's hands on Brest?

It may also be worth pointing out to British members of a certain age, who may be getting quite excited about what goes on behind the scenes, that doxxing is not a censored spelling of dogging :) .

At least, I don't think it is...
I don't think your question was serious, but for clarification's sake, "messages of sexual nature" is intended to prevent sexual harassment and off-color sexual remarks that do nothing but make people uncomfortable and no longer enjoy the game. An innocent quip or joke that isn’t directed at another player might be met with sighs and groans but it would not be met with moderator intervention unless it was actually necessary.

thdfrance

#24 Post by thdfrance » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 pm

It's amazing to me that we can't just say "don't be a moron" and we can't just go from there.

Mercy

#25 Post by Mercy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 pm
Ogion wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

It is incorrect that PlayDiplomacy supports racist or homophobic press. That kind of press is against the site rules, and the moderators there remove that kind of language, and punish those responsible, similar to what they do here.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I have great confidence that you are not describing your experience accurately.

I have played at Playdiplomacy for four years, and I have not witnessed any racial, homophobic, or other inappropriate press. I find the community there to exhibit a high standard in that regard, similar to the community here. Since I have not witnessed that sort of press, I have not personally witnessed site moderators dealing with it. However, I searched the forum for "homophobic," and found a few instances when that sort of press was reported. In each instance, it was dealt with swiftly.
In my experience, Ogion tends to use a broader definition of terms like 'racism', 'sexism', 'homophobia' etc. than most people.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#26 Post by ghug » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:10 pm
It would be like you hacking into my computer and publishing my tax returns or my stash of compromising photos.
Why do you have compromising photos of me, and what the hell do they have to do with your tax returns?

thdfrance

#27 Post by thdfrance » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 pm
thdfrance wrote:
It would be like you hacking into my computer and publishing my tax returns or my stash of compromising photos.
Why do you have compromising photos of me, and what the hell do they have to do with your tax returns?
I have a folder on my computer called "IN THE EVENT OF A HACK, DON'T TAKE THIS". I prefer to hide the important things in plain sight. Within that folder I have all my important stuff...such as my tax returns, scanned copies of official documents, and compromising photographs of webdip admins/moderators.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#28 Post by TrPrado » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:28 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm
ghug wrote:
thdfrance wrote:
I have a folder on my computer called "IN THE EVENT OF A HACK, DON'T TAKE THIS". I prefer to hide the important things in plain sight. Within that folder I have all my important stuff...such as my tax returns, scanned copies of official documents, and compromising photographs of webdip admins/moderators.
I knew I shouldn’t have sent you that picture. You were just so charming.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#29 Post by ghug » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 pm

thdfrance wrote:
ghug wrote:
thdfrance wrote:
As long as you aren't selling them and not giving me a cut, we're good.

thdfrance

#30 Post by thdfrance » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 pm
thdfrance wrote:
ghug wrote:

You know I would never do that to you...the world deserves to see content that good for free!

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#31 Post by ghug » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 pm
ghug wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 pm
thdfrance wrote:

You know I would never do that to you...the world deserves to see content that good for free!
Damn straight.

LeonWalras

#32 Post by LeonWalras » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 am

PC stands for pissed in cereal right?

Ogion

#33 Post by Ogion » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Mercy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Ogion wrote:

In my experience, Ogion tends to use a broader definition of terms like 'racism', 'sexism', 'homophobia' etc. than most people.
If you mean I don't respond to demeaning slurs and stereotypes with a wink and a gigle, no, I don't. And what most people call racism or sexism seems to depend on whether you're living in some backwater or in civilization I find.

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#34 Post by StevenC. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Ogion wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm
Mercy wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

If you mean I don't respond to demeaning slurs and stereotypes with a wink and a gigle, no, I don't. And what most people call racism or sexism seems to depend on whether you're living in some backwater or in civilization I find.
Uh huh.

I'm just curious what it is that they said that offended you.

Jamiet99uk

#35 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:24 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 pm
It's amazing to me that we can't just say "don't be a moron" and we can't just go from there.
This post is highly offensive towards people with a low IQ or mild intellectual disabilities. Please apologise.

SirThursday

#36 Post by SirThursday » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:17 pm

In the case of people saying things you would consider offensive, I would suggest that it would be rather odd behavior for an ally, so try using the "mute" button? Strange as it may seem, "Diplomacy" is a game about "talking to people". People can be terrible, and talking to them reveals this. Unwritten rule almost certainly didn't need to be written. Further, there is a difference between "this person posted a terrible thing on this site" and "this site approves of this terrible thing". Don't go blaming the site for the idiocy of some of the members. (No offense intended to the idiots, you folks can live your own lives). Policing the internet is an impossibly large job, so prioritize being decent yourself and ignore the stuff you don't like.

VillageIdiot

#37 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm

StevenC. wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 pm
Uh huh.

Kinda curious myself. I saw the game and know the abrasive player in question (who for the record was a ftf visitor for the tournament), but I wasn’t quite sure what the trigger comment was that over-stepped into racist/homophobic. I don’t mean to shrug off if there was, I just had a very similar experience to Balki over there in that I found the general tone to be comparatively more subdued and extreme offensive dialog to be typically dealt with pretty firmly.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#38 Post by jmo1121109 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:19 pm

I do want to make the point too that the people running nearly all of the online diplomacy sites are volunteers. They have no formal training in moderation and have to make do with what they can. Considering the fairly limited resources available for the diplomacy community at large, I think the various sites are run and up-kept pretty well.

The focus of the various sites' moderation teams largely must fall at cheating prevention. The hardest thing to do is stay ahead of people looking to play unfairly to ensure that everyone has quality games. The number of multiple accounters and severe metagamers who attempt to cheat on the various sites is amazingly high, and with that considered playdip and webdip both do a pretty good job keeping the games cheater free.

The trade off there is that is where the training and prevention time goes. So when the harder to judge cases like what should/shouldn't qualify as racism, and how you punish those cases arise, the results are generally a little less speedy and a little less impressive then the cheating prevention. But that doesn't mean the rules won't change to address problems as they are brought up (see this thread)

So do try to keep that in mind, and if the results you get in an investigation on any site don't satisfy you try and be calm when explaining why and understanding if the team at the site is trying to follow their set rules in dealing out fair punishments and judgments.

Ogion

#39 Post by Ogion » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:24 am

StevenC. wrote:
Ogion wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm
Mercy wrote:
Uh huh.

Oh, just the use of the usual homophobic slurs. You know the one, and I won't repeat it. There wer some sexist ones as well. I reported them. The moderator shrugged. I surrendered my games and left their damn tournament.

I find that people who have been subject to a history like onself being murdered and oppressed for who they are have a little less tolerant attitude toward this kind of casual bigotry. And of course all decent people with a modest level of empathy. They also are sick and tired of the bullshit.

Ogion

#40 Post by Ogion » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:25 am

VillageIdiot wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm
StevenC. wrote:
Uh huh.

Kinda curious myself. I saw the game and know the abrasive player in question (who for the record was a ftf visitor for the tournament), but I wasn’t quite sure what the trigger comment was that over-stepped into racist/homophobic. I don’t mean to shrug off if there was, I just had a very similar experience to Balki over there in that I found the general tone to be comparatively more subdued and extreme offensive dialog to be typically dealt with pretty firmly.
It was actually more than one player, but only a single moderator