play.webdiplomacy.net

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
kestasjk
Developer
Developer

play.webdiplomacy.net

#1 Post by kestasjk » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:33 am

Ever since I was testing the new UI by playing against the bots and finding it to be an actually surprisingly fun user experience, which works really well on mobile/tablet, I wanted to make it so anyone can just click a link and be playing in 5 seconds, no account required.

So here it is: https://play.webdiplomacy.net/

For existing community members like yourselves it's just shortcut to create a classic bot game with a random country using the new UI, but for people new to the site or who haven't tried the new UI yet it's a pretty cool way to jump right into webDip and give it a go. Say you're on a commute and want to kill some time now you can take out your phone, go to play.webdiplomacy.net, and have a quick point and click game of Diplomacy against the best Diplomacy AI.

We'll see how it goes for the moment, let me know if there are any issues and I'll monitor site performance, but if it's solid and works well I think it might be a neat way to even introduce some new (and old) people to the game / the new UI / the site.

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: play.webdiplomacy.net

#2 Post by A_Tin_Can » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:36 am

So, the clicks for orders are registered on the province. However, some of the units overlap the nearby province (eg, an army in Piedmont), which means if you miss slightly you can end up ordering a destroy at the wrong province.

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#3 Post by A_Tin_Can » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:58 am

Additional feedback:

Sometimes moves don't seem to be recognised. Aeg -> Bul is annoying, because you have to click on the coast, and if you click on the province it won't accept it. This can lead to easy misorders.

(Also I swear I ordered Eas -> Ion, but it didn't go through).

Having to progress the turn manually in order to make moves is annoying - it could assume that's what I want if I try to order units while viewing the most recent results.

It took longer than I'd like to admit to realise that the icon above the turn indicator said whether it was spring or autumn. It would be great to have the actual words there too. Also, for accessibility, it would be good to have tooltips on all the indicators.

It would be great to see the text of the orders I've made too (I wanted this for our old map too).

I miss the indicator of how many SCs / units each power has.

Which power I'm playing is hidden on the right hand side - it would be great to have that at the top.

Also, I can't seem to find the voting options

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#4 Post by kestasjk » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:18 am

Good feedback thanks ATC, can I get the game ID and turn etc for that order that didn't go through?

If you have trouble selecting something by clicking/pressing it I find zooming into the map with the scroll wheel / pinching your screen makes it a lot easier to select things.

If you click on the icon on the top right you can see the votes, text based orders, chat box etc, pic attached.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-03 181432.png

bartogian

#5 Post by bartogian » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:04 am

I appear to have found a bug.

The URL for the game is https://play.webdiplomacy.net/beta/?gameID=420538 and I have builds but cannot use them due to having no vacant home centres and the game is not progressing.

Some other remarks I have:

It would be very useful to have a way to see the orders each piece entered without having to read them off the graphics. This is especially true when trying to determine which of two countries which are the same colour (to me) own which piece.

When there is a forced disband due to a dislodgement or forced removal due to an elimination, the engine still requires the player to manually tell the program to remove the unit. The engine should be able to determine when there are no options and process the phase automatically.

I still prefer the backstabbr interface. The advantages I see in backstabbr are it is easier to enter orders (I really like their s/c keyboard shortcuts, and there are fewer clicks to move a unit), their colours are more distinct, and they don't do silly colouring of non-SC provinces by last power occupied. The main advantages of webdip over backstabbr in my opinion are the speed of adjudication (no "waiting for adjudication") and the correct interpretation of coastal supports.

Claesar

#6 Post by Claesar » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:09 pm

I'm trying to find a thread where I can provide feedback on the new Play Beta, but can only find this. Could someone direct me?

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:50 pm

Claesar wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:09 pm
I'm trying to find a thread where I can provide feedback on the new Play Beta, but can only find this. Could someone direct me?
Found it, thanks.