M81: A Night To Remember [GAME THREAD]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
President Eden

M81: A Night To Remember [GAME THREAD]

#1 Post by President Eden » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:24 pm

It is the pride of the Kingdom: a cruise ship of size, security and luxury unparalleled in all the world. The HMS Fortress begins its maiden voyage, carrying dignitaries the world over for two weeks of world-class revelry on the high seas. Magnificent banquets and dances await the globe's elite aboard the most secure passenger vessel the world has ever seen.

But lurking within the cavernous halls and hiding unnoticed in all the celebration are a group of determined Republican separatists, with a plot to send the
Fortress and its passengers to a watery grave. Can the finest security team in the Kingdom foil the terror plot before the pride of the world becomes a cemetery on the high seas?

M81 GAME INFORMATION

GM: Eden
Cohost: Foxcastle
Day Phase Deadline: 4pm Pacific / 7pm Eastern
Day Phase Length: 48 hours
Night Phase Deadline: 4pm Pacific / 7pm Eastern
Night Phase Length: 24 hours
Anticipated Start Date: Monday, June 19, 2023

MAFIA OVERVIEW

Mafia is an educated guessing game of epic proportions. The objective of this game for the town majority is to kill all mafia members before they outnumber the rest of the town. The objective of the mafia minority is to survive until they outnumber the town. The game is typically very active, so the thread will grow quickly. However, it is essential to read the thread to play the game.

For a primer on how to play from a washed-up old guy who might have known what he was talking about at some point in the distant past, check out my guide in the first post of the webDip Mafia Master Post topic, located here.

GENERAL RULES

This game follows standard WebDip Mafia Rules, located here. There are nonstandard mechanics; see Setup Details in the next post.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

Players may be warned, forcibly replaced, or modkilled for violation of game rules. The GM team will attempt to minimize disruption to the game, but will use whatever means are needed to preserve the integrity of the game.

Players who have site-wide muted other players are asked to unmute them to play this game. Players who have been silenced on webDiplomacy due to site infractions will be forcibly replaced from the game.

Players who wish to quit playing may be replaced at GM discretion. Replacement is not guaranteed. Substitutes cannot participate in spectator chats until they sub into the game and are subsequently removed from it (e.g., by dying).

VOTING

To vote for a player, type ##VOTE <player> (e.g. ##VOTE Eden). You may unvote by typing ##UNVOTE. You may switch from voting one player to another without unvoting first (e.g., if you ##VOTE Eden then type ##VOTE Bona, you will vote for Bona). You may choose to no-kill by typing ##UNVOTE. You don’t need to type out the player’s full name, but failing to do so may lead to ambiguity that causes errors in vote tallying, particularly with the bot. In the event of a tie vote at the end of the day, no player will be killed.

You may vote to end the day early by typing ##END. If a majority of players are voting ##END and casting the same vote (whether for a player or to no-kill), the phase will end early. If the day ends more than 8 hours into the start of the day phase, the remaining time will be added to the next night phase; if the day ends less than 8 hours into the start of the day phase, the next night phase will end 24 hours early.

SETUP DETAILS IN NEXT POST; PLEASE HOLD!

President Eden

Re: M81: A Night To Remember [GAME THREAD]

#2 Post by President Eden » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:26 pm

SETUP INFORMATION

M81 is an open setup. There are 11 members of the Royalists [town] and 3 members of the Republicans [mafia]. (This setup scales up or down comfortably; these numbers may change due to the number of signups.)

Role PMs

ROYALIST:
Due to your advanced station in life—no doubt entirely the result of your own merit and hard work—the King has seen fit to let you experience the maiden voyage of the HMS Fortress.
You have no night actions.
You win with the Royalists [town] by eliminating all Republican [mafia] players before the Republicans attain a majority.

REPUBLICAN:
Pushed to your limit under the oppressive yoke of a corrupt empire, you have successfully infiltrated the HMS Fortress with a singular mission: sink that wretched vessel and shatter the Kingdom’s veneer of invincibility.
You, along with your teammates [NAME] and [NAME], may collectively decide to kill another player at night. This kill is factional and not tied to any player.
You win with the Republicans [mafia] by eliminating enough of the Royalists [town] to reach a majority of living players.

NONSTANDARD MECHANICS

Mechanic: Partners

After roles are assigned, each player will be pseudorandomly assigned a dance partner. Dance partners have a private Discord thread which they may use only at night to communicate privately. Assignments are random, except that no pair of dance partners shall contain two mafia.

Mechanic: Separated Dance Partners

A player is a “separated dance partner” when their partner is removed from the game, or if, at the start of the game, they are not assigned a dance partner (e.g., because there are an odd number of players). When a dance partner becomes separated, that player will be added to a new private Discord thread containing all other separated dance partners still in the game. Like other private threads, this thread is usable only at night.

Mechanic: Ghosts

When a player is removed from the game, instead of being added to spectator chat, that player will be added to a new private Discord thread containing all other players that have been removed from the game. Unlike other private threads in this game, the ghosts may communicate with each other in their thread at all times. A ghost may choose to “move on to the next world” by messaging the GM at any time; at the GM’s earliest convenience, that player will be turned into a spectator within the normal god chat.

Mechanic: Séance

Each night, each ghost may write a message to the GM to be conveyed to the Separated Dance Partners. The GM will collate all the messages in a random order and post them to the Separated Dance Partners thread at end of night. A ghost’s message is not to exceed 100 characters in length. If a message exceeds the character limit, only the first 100 characters will be sent. The message will also include the number of ghosts that chose to “move on to the next world” in the previous day/night cycle.

SIGNUP THREAD ADDENDA AND SIGNUPS IN NEXT POST; PLEASE HOLD!

President Eden

#3 Post by President Eden » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:35 pm

SIGNUP THREAD ADDENDA

I have collated the following information from the signup thread which players may find relevant. The entire signup thread is here. In resolving novel questions posed by the game, I will attempt to adhere to what was said in the signup thread as much as is realistically possible.
President Eden wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:48 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:22 pm
##Call GM:

Please define "pseudorandomly".
I will assign roles, and then I will assign each player a partner using the following procedure:

1. If there are an odd number of players, then I will select a player at random to start in separated chat.
2. One by one, for each mafia player, I will randomly assign a townie to be their partner.
3. All remaining players will be randomly assigned a partner from the remaining pool of players.

It is “pseudorandom” only insofar as each mafia player will have a town partner and no two mafia players will be partners, but otherwise it is random.
President Eden wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:07 pm
Some updates:

[...]

3. After further reflection, I believe the ghosts mechanic is optimized by allowing night chat in the thread, so the thread will remain open at night.
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:58 pm
Title: The Power of Words: Is Calling Someone a "F**king Loser" Appropriate?

Introduction:
In our interactions with others, the choice of words we use plays a crucial role in shaping relationships and fostering healthy communication. While occasional disagreements and conflicts are inevitable, it is important to reflect on the appropriateness and impact of our language. This essay explores the notion of calling someone a "f**king loser" and delves into whether such language is appropriate in interpersonal communication.

Body:

Respectful Communication:
Respect is the foundation of effective communication and harmonious relationships. Employing derogatory and offensive language, such as calling someone a "f**king loser," disregards the principles of respect and dignity. Respectful communication allows for the expression of differing opinions without resorting to personal attacks or derogatory language.
Emotional Impact:
Words possess immense power, capable of shaping emotions and leaving a lasting impact. When someone is called a "f**king loser," it can deeply hurt their self-esteem and overall well-being. Negative language often reinforces a sense of shame, worthlessness, and can perpetuate a cycle of emotional distress. Recognizing the emotional consequences of our words is essential in maintaining healthy interactions.
Constructive Dialogue:
Effective communication thrives on constructive dialogue, where ideas are exchanged with the intention of understanding and resolving differences. Resorting to name-calling and insults only serves to hinder productive conversation. Engaging in respectful discourse allows for the exploration of different perspectives, fostering growth and learning for all parties involved.
Promoting Empathy:
Using offensive language can hinder our ability to empathize with others. By resorting to derogatory terms, we strip away the humanity of the person we are addressing, making it difficult to understand their perspective or emotions. Empathy is crucial in building connections and resolving conflicts, and it necessitates a language of understanding and compassion.
Alternative Approaches:
While expressing frustration or disagreement is natural, there are more appropriate and effective ways to communicate our concerns. Employing active listening, seeking clarification, and engaging in open-ended questions promote a constructive dialogue. Focusing on the issue at hand rather than resorting to personal attacks allows for a healthier exchange of ideas.
Conclusion:

In conclusion, the choice of words we use in our interactions with others significantly impacts the quality of our relationships and the effectiveness of our communication. Calling someone a "f**king loser" is a derogatory and disrespectful act that can inflict emotional harm and hinder constructive dialogue. By embracing respectful communication, fostering empathy, and exploring alternative approaches, we can contribute to a more compassionate and understanding society. Let us remember the power of our words and choose them wisely to create a positive and inclusive environment for all.
ROSTER
0. Eden
0.1. Foxcastle

1. sweetandcool
2. Kakarroto
3. ghug
4. aarodactyl
5. Jamiet99uk
6. damo666
7. brainbomb
8. Brian
9. Ezio
10. DemonRHK
11. worcej
12. Vecna
13. rdrivera2005
14. Chaqa

Substitute. BunnyGo

CONTINUE TO HOLD UNTIL 6PM CENTRAL TIME TOMORROW, MONDAY JUNE 19, 2023; BUT FEEL FREE TO USE YOUR PRIVATE CHATS AS SOON AS THEY ARE ASSIGNED!

President Eden

#4 Post by President Eden » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:18 pm

All private chats have been assigned.

To head off any confusion: yes, I added you to your chats as I was sending out role PMs, so some of you may have seen your partner before seeing your role PM. All roles and partners were assigned properly, I just multitasked like a dingus.

President Eden

#5 Post by President Eden » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:59 pm

GM NOTE:

Editing your posts in Discord chats, even for minor reasons such as correcting typos, is generally forbidden because edits are untraceable on Discord. However, you may edit in your personal log without penalty, as that is simply your messages to the god thread and not material that other players can read.

Day 1 begins in approximately 3 hours.

President Eden

#6 Post by President Eden » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:33 pm

GM NOTE:

You are reminded that you are only allowed to communicate with other players about the game within established protocols. In this game, you may use the text channels provided, but you may not DM your partner to discuss the game, voice call them, etc.

Day 1 begins in just under 30 minutes!

President Eden

#7 Post by President Eden » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:01 pm

The HMS Fortress has departed, with dozens of the Kingdom's finest citizens aboard!

...and three revolutionaries intent on ill...

Day 1 has begun! Deadline to determine a kill is Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 6pm Central Time (approx. 48 hours from now).

aarodactyl

#8 Post by aarodactyl » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:01 pm

Hi. I’m at work but I wanted to post to say that if you’re town, the odds that your partner is scum is 3/11.

Also I meant to spend time thinking about claiming partners but I got distracted by the math.

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:01 pm

We can post?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Kakarroto

#10 Post by Kakarroto » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:01 pm

Suddenly all the lights went dark for a second, then the overhead installed spotlights went on and moved around over the gathered crowd. After a short moment of silence, the crowd began to chatter.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!" a female voice rang out towards the crowd, "LET US WELCOME ONE OF OUR SPECIAL GUESTS! HE IS THE FIGARO OF FEET, THE DEVIL OF THE DANCEFLOOR, THE SAINT OF SPINS! DIRECTLY FROM THE IMPERIAL CITY OF VIENNA, WELCOME THE SECOND WIENER WALZERKÖNIG, FRANZL J.!" Thundering applause roared through the hall, some people not entirly sure if from the crowd or from installed and hidden speakers.

"Jo mai," he began to say "I bin wiaglich so froa dos I hia bin." smiling and waved to the crowd. "Daham in Wean san de Leit ned hoibald so laud, wissans? I bin so froa des I sea olle glott umoaman ded." He waved another time towards the crowd while smiling. "Owa des ded mai liabe Sissi ned zualossn, wissns, sie is a goanz liabe. I wissad ned, wos I ohne se dadat."

After a short period where translations happened, the host began again to speak. "Of course, I'm sure everyone here welcomes you with open arms, since everyone will love to watch you dance here to the music. But I've asked myself; why would someone from Vienna come here and be part of this whole journey?" He smiled and waved towards the crowd again as he answered. "Jo, des is gonz afoch: des hia is a wundavois Schiffal und I kon ma nix bessas vuistöhn ois bei da eastn foat dabeizusei. I hob scho imma de majestätischn Schiffal vo Ihra Majestät gean ghobt, vo dem hea is es ka Wunda, dos I hia bin und mitfoa. Oiso, I hoff ea wiad no gonz long lebn."

With that, the music started to play and he began to wave again towards the crowd while smiling. Meanwhile he hoped that his Sissi would come fast so he could dance.

aarodactyl

#11 Post by aarodactyl » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 pm

aarodactyl wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:01 pm
Hi. I’m at work but I wanted to post to say that if you’re town, the odds that your partner is scum is 3/11.

Also I meant to spend time thinking about claiming partners but I got distracted by the math.
Odds = probability. Since I guess that those aren’t the same.

sweetandcool

#12 Post by sweetandcool » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 pm

aarodactyl wrote:

Don't you mean 3/13? There are 14 players.

President Eden

#13 Post by President Eden » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
We can post?
lol, sorry.

Yes you may post.

brainbomb

#14 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 pm

The person I am in a chat with openly admitted to being mafia and claimed that no one would ever believe me even if I announced it. I asked them who they were mafia with and they said ezio, Jamie, and sweetandcool.

I asked how that was possible and they said they were only lying about one of the three.

aarodactyl

#15 Post by aarodactyl » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:03 pm

sweetandcool wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 pm
aarodactyl wrote:

Nope! Welcome to conditional probability hell.

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#16 Post by DemonRHK » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:03 pm

MAFIA!!!

Alright you dirty madafackers we're gonna do something revolutionary.

Imma be nice. Being rude gets tiring.

I hope you've all been well! I missed you all. Small not that if I make it to this weekend, I will be split focus because a Japanese man decided to cross a JRPG with GoT.

##Vote No Kill

Just to have somethin on the books.

sweetandcool

#17 Post by sweetandcool » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:04 pm

Kakarroto wrote:
Suddenly all the lights went dark for a second, then the overhead installed spotlights went on and moved around over the gathered crowd. After a short moment of silence, the crowd began to chatter.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!" a female voice rang out towards the crowd, "LET US WELCOME ONE OF OUR SPECIAL GUESTS! HE IS THE FIGARO OF FEET, THE DEVIL OF THE DANCEFLOOR, THE SAINT OF SPINS! DIRECTLY FROM THE IMPERIAL CITY OF VIENNA, WELCOME THE SECOND WIENER WALZERKÖNIG, FRANZL J.!" Thundering applause roared through the hall, some people not entirly sure if from the crowd or from installed and hidden speakers.

"Jo mai," he began to say "I bin wiaglich so froa dos I hia bin." smiling and waved to the crowd. "Daham in Wean san de Leit ned hoibald so laud, wissans? I bin so froa des I sea olle glott umoaman ded." He waved another time towards the crowd while smiling. "Owa des ded mai liabe Sissi ned zualossn, wissns, sie is a goanz liabe. I wissad ned, wos I ohne se dadat."

After a short period where translations happened, the host began again to speak. "Of course, I'm sure everyone here welcomes you with open arms, since everyone will love to watch you dance here to the music. But I've asked myself; why would someone from Vienna come here and be part of this whole journey?" He smiled and waved towards the crowd again as he answered. "Jo, des is gonz afoch: des hia is a wundavois Schiffal und I kon ma nix bessas vuistöhn ois bei da eastn foat dabeizusei. I hob scho imma de majestätischn Schiffal vo Ihra Majestät gean ghobt, vo dem hea is es ka Wunda, dos I hia bin und mitfoa. Oiso, I hoff ea wiad no gonz long lebn."

With that, the music started to play and he began to wave again towards the crowd while smiling. Meanwhile he hoped that his Sissi would come fast so he could dance.
Is Wiener Walzerkoenig drunk? Because he sounds like he is slurring his words.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#18 Post by ghug » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:04 pm

##VOTE Vecna

sweetandcool

#19 Post by sweetandcool » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:05 pm

aarodactyl wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:03 pm
sweetandcool wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 pm
aarodactyl wrote:

Nope! Welcome to conditional probability hell.
Ah yes, I forgot to account for the rule of Mafia members not being allowed together.

Kakarroto

#20 Post by Kakarroto » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:06 pm

aarodactyl wrote:

Well, there are 7 teams with 3 teams having 1 mafia, so 4 teams are pure town. Isn't the probability that, when you are town, your partner has a chance of being 3/7th mafia and 4/7th town?