MAFIA 79: The Price is Right! [GAME THREAD]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
President Eden

Re: MAFIA 79: The Price is Right! [GAME THREAD]

#101 Post by President Eden » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:14 am

sweetandcool wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:10 am
There is only a 25% chance of randomly guessing a mafia member. I will vote no-kill because those are low odds. Unless someone can make a convincing argument for the elimination of a player.
There is a 25% chance of eliminating a mafia player by randomly voting someone out.
There is a 0% chance of eliminating a mafia player by voting no-kill.

25 > 0

Q.E.D.

sweetandcool

#102 Post by sweetandcool » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 am

Okay, I will vote randomly. I decided to vote for the person whose position on the list corresponds to the number of characters in the username of the person who first responds to me. Looks like it is #VOTE dousing

Foxcastle

#103 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 am

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:03 am
snowy801 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:14 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:09 pm

It is interesting that Foxcastle would make such an unconvincing argument, I agree with you.

What do you think his motivation was?
Not sure.

@Foxcastle what was your motivation?
1. To remind people of the time I was clever and won a game

2. To note that that kind of thing does happen. I wonder what Jamie's response would have been if someone else made the first vote on Koala and I made that point about another player—would he have said "Foxcastle, that was your play, and so it says nothing about Other Player"? I think he would have been more likely to say that it was a weak argument rather than non-applicable.

The thing Jamie didn't point out is that it's not a very good play in this game. Assuming they're both mafia, if Jamie knows he's bussing Koala, he's either the other goon, in which case he's killing off his only real teammate (this might be reasonable if he knows that the second goon is a great player), or he's the traitor, in which case he knows he doesn't know who his other teammate is and so it's a pretty big gamble.

So I think Jamie's response is actually kind of weird, but it's actually unlikely that the ploy I described is happening.
It should say...

Assuming they're both mafia, if Jamie knows he's bussing Koala, then he's the other goon, in which case he's killing off his only real teammate, or he's the traitor, in which case he knows that his other teammate doesn't know who he is and so it's a pretty big gamble (this might be reasonable if the second goon is a great player).

Foxcastle

#104 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 am

sweetandcool wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:10 am
There is only a 25% chance of randomly guessing a mafia member. I will vote no-kill because those are low odds. Unless someone can make a convincing argument for the elimination of a player.
Damo! It's your cue to do some math!

Dousing

#105 Post by Dousing » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:41 am

So out of the following possibilities:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden

We have (in order of who was first voted) its

2 votes - Dousing
1 vote - Jamiet99uk
2 votes - KoalaAttack
1 vote - [no kill]

Dousing

#106 Post by Dousing » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:42 am

Dousing wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:41 am

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden

2 votes - Dousing
1 vote - Jamiet99uk
2 votes - KoalaAttack
1 vote - [no kill]
oh and of course a vote for Jammy dodger

snowy801

#107 Post by snowy801 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:50 am

Dousing wrote:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden

2 votes - Dousing
1 vote - Jamiet99uk
2 votes - KoalaAttack
1 vote - [no kill]
Have you noticed that the number 6 comes after 4

worcej

#108 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:06 am

GM Note:
Peterlund has been contacted to hopefully resolve bot issue, but if it doesn’t get addressed right away, anticipate fewer vote counts from us in the early stages of day phases.

President Eden

#109 Post by President Eden » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:18 am

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 am
Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:03 am
snowy801 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:14 pm

Not sure.

@Foxcastle what was your motivation?
1. To remind people of the time I was clever and won a game

2. To note that that kind of thing does happen. I wonder what Jamie's response would have been if someone else made the first vote on Koala and I made that point about another player—would he have said "Foxcastle, that was your play, and so it says nothing about Other Player"? I think he would have been more likely to say that it was a weak argument rather than non-applicable.

The thing Jamie didn't point out is that it's not a very good play in this game. Assuming they're both mafia, if Jamie knows he's bussing Koala, he's either the other goon, in which case he's killing off his only real teammate (this might be reasonable if he knows that the second goon is a great player), or he's the traitor, in which case he knows he doesn't know who his other teammate is and so it's a pretty big gamble.

So I think Jamie's response is actually kind of weird, but it's actually unlikely that the ploy I described is happening.
It should say...

Assuming they're both mafia, if Jamie knows he's bussing Koala, then he's the other goon, in which case he's killing off his only real teammate, or he's the traitor, in which case he knows that his other teammate doesn't know who he is and so it's a pretty big gamble (this might be reasonable if the second goon is a great player).
foxcastle confirmed traitor self-conscious about his effort to fake townslip

jamie/koala/foxcastle

cya next year

President Eden

#110 Post by President Eden » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:21 am

sweetandcool wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 am
Okay, I will vote randomly. I decided to vote for the person whose position on the list corresponds to the number of characters in the username of the person who first responds to me. Looks like it is #VOTE dousing
excuse me mr./ms. cool,

i have 14 characters in my name

also, how do we know you chose this rationale randomly

KoalaAttack

#111 Post by KoalaAttack » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:23 am

snowy801 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:50 am
Dousing wrote:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden

2 votes - Dousing
1 vote - Jamiet99uk
2 votes - KoalaAttack
1 vote - [no kill]
I have. Very very interesting... I can't think of a reason a Townie would randomly exclude a player from their list. I can definitely think of a reason for Mafia though. I am very tempted to

##VOTE Dousing

until a better theory comes along.

Dousing

#112 Post by Dousing » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:30 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:35 pm
We may choose to eliminate one of these people:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden
I got lazy and copied off of ^^^
KoalaAttack wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:23 am
snowy801 wrote:
Dousing wrote:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden

2 votes - Dousing
1 vote - Jamiet99uk
2 votes - KoalaAttack
1 vote - [no kill]
I have. Very very interesting... I can't think of a reason a Townie would randomly exclude a player from their list. I can definitely think of a reason for Mafia though. I am very tempted to

##VOTE Dousing

I suppose this is my punishment for plagiarizing from an infamous source of fake news.

KoalaAttack

#113 Post by KoalaAttack » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:49 am

Dousing wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:30 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden
KoalaAttack wrote:
snowy801 wrote:

##VOTE Dousing

I suppose this is my punishment for plagiarizing from an infamous source of fake news.
Hmm... continues to be interesting. Jamiet was replying to sweetandcool, ostensibly explaining the rules to the new person – and conveniently removing themselves from the inception-style-psychological-priming of said new player in the process. If Dousing & Jamiet are Mafia together, it tracks that Dousing would re-use the same without actually reply-quoting.

Eh, perhaps not the most bulletproof theory in the world – but like I said, "until a better one comes along".

Also, I took a look at who was excitedly active in the Sign Up thread as promised – and the only person who really jumps out is sweetandcool but if that's their first game that's natural. Not much there sadly.

I can also be convinced to go back on Koala wagon. Koala is suspicious for roleplaying Gandalf and self-voting in a Mafia thread instead of spending more time coding cool things to make the world a better place. Vote Koala, save the world.

Dousing

#114 Post by Dousing » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:59 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:49 am
Dousing wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden
KoalaAttack wrote:

##VOTE Dousing

Hmm... continues to be interesting. Jamiet was replying to sweetandcool, ostensibly explaining the rules to the new person – and conveniently removing themselves from the inception-style-psychological-priming of said new player in the process. If Dousing & Jamiet are Mafia together, it tracks that Dousing would re-use the same without actually reply-quoting.

Eh, perhaps not the most bulletproof theory in the world – but like I said, "until a better one comes along".

Also, I took a look at who was excitedly active in the Sign Up thread as promised – and the only person who really jumps out is sweetandcool but if that's their first game that's natural. Not much there sadly.

I can also be convinced to go back on Koala wagon. Koala is suspicious for roleplaying Gandalf and self-voting in a Mafia thread instead of spending more time coding cool things to make the world a better place. Vote Koala, save the world.
Crazy theory you got there.

I was doing really until my psyop was countered. How long did that take again? lets see... it was ***nine whole minutes*** before my mind trick was uncovered.

'tis a shame I decided to omit someone who was (for a while) the most active user on this forum. Y'all were THIS close to forgetting about them.

sweetandcool

#115 Post by sweetandcool » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:00 am

President Eden wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:21 am
sweetandcool wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 am
excuse me mr./ms. cool,

i have 14 characters in my name

also, how do we know you chose this rationale randomly
14 characters, 13 players. So I mod by 13 and the result is 1, Dousing.

Of course, I could create any random reason to vote a certain way, but there is no way to verify my true rationale. I just mentioned that method because I had randomly decided on it and was excited that I would be voting for the poster, you. But then I realized that I neglected to count the space in your name, resulting in 14 character :P

sweetandcool

#116 Post by sweetandcool » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:02 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Dousing wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

1. Dousing
2. ghug
3. damo
4. Chaqa
6. Foxcastle
7. sweetandcool
8. Koala
9. bozo
10. Rdrivera
11. bonatogether
12. snowy801
13. Eden
KoalaAttack wrote:

##VOTE Dousing

Interesting. What was your metric for deciding who was excitedly active on the sign up thread? Number of posts? I have been more active than I normally would be because I feel a pressure to participate. After all, the game is no fun if nobody is posting.

Dousing

#117 Post by Dousing » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:02 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
it tracks that Dousing would re-use the same without actually reply-quoting.
pla·gia·rism
noun
noun: plagiarism; plural noun: plagiarisms

the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

(The following definition of Plagiarism is the original work of Dousing)

President Eden

#118 Post by President Eden » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:19 am

Dousing wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:59 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Dousing wrote:

I was doing really until my psyop was countered. How long did that take again? lets see... it was ***nine whole minutes*** before my mind trick was uncovered.

'tis a shame I decided to omit someone who was (for a while) the most active user on this forum. Y'all were THIS close to forgetting about them.
I thought it was pretty obvious you just copied Jamie’s list and missed him removing himself, but this last part reads like a separate justification for his omission, which is interesting

Dousing

#119 Post by Dousing » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:22 am

President Eden wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:19 am
Dousing wrote:
KoalaAttack wrote:

I thought it was pretty obvious you just copied Jamie’s list and missed him removing himself, but this last part reads like a separate justification for his omission, which is interesting
No the last part was sarcasm

President Eden

#120 Post by President Eden » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:23 am

Dousing wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:22 am
President Eden wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:19 am
Dousing wrote:

No the last part was sarcasm
it is, but it’s still interesting

i’m onto you mr./ms. sing