Twenty Questions - Game 100

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
User avatar
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 24842
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 15522
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#41 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:47 pm

Was she from North America?

User avatar
Foxcastle
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 1559
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#42 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:53 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:47 pm
Was she from North America?
No

Hamish
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:41 pm
Karma: 73
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#43 Post by Hamish » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:26 pm

Died after 1-1-2001?

User avatar
Foxcastle
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 1559
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#44 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:38 pm

Hamish wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:26 pm
Died after 1-1-2001?
Yes

User avatar
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 24842
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 15522
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#45 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:04 pm

4. Real, dead, not male
5. Not royal.
6. Artist of some kind.
7. Alive at some point in 20th Century.
8. Not a painter.
9. Actress.
10. Not an Oscar winner.
11. Appeared both on TV and in films.
12. Died 1970 or later.
13. Not from North America.
14. Died after 1st Jan 2001.

NOT:

Mary Tyler Moore (Damo)

User avatar
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 24842
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 15522
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#46 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:04 pm

KLAXON: 6 QUESTIONS LEFT

Please be careful to use the remaining questions wisely.

Hamish
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:41 pm
Karma: 73
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#47 Post by Hamish » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 pm

Free guess: Betty White

User avatar
Foxcastle
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 1559
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#48 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:28 pm

Hamish wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 pm
Free guess: Betty White
No

User avatar
JECE
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 256
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#49 Post by JECE » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:41 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:57 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:01 am
Was she primarily known as a television star, rather than a movie actress?
I think it would be incorrect to answer either yes or no to this question. At the risk of hinting, she did both. (This question counts.)
I doubt that it will make a difference, but I don't think that this question should be counted per the rules: "If a binary question does not have a yes-or-no answer, the question master must not count the question."
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

User avatar
Foxcastle
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 1559
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#50 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:57 pm

JECE wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:41 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:57 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:01 am
Was she primarily known as a television star, rather than a movie actress?
I think it would be incorrect to answer either yes or no to this question. At the risk of hinting, she did both. (This question counts.)
I doubt that it will make a difference, but I don't think that this question should be counted per the rules: "If a binary question does not have a yes-or-no answer, the question master must not count the question."
This is a bigger discussion, but I disagree with that rule in general, and I'm exercising some discretion to keep the game true to its spirit (as I see it). My guess is that if I declined to answer the question, you would have inferred the information I gave you anyway. The game is about guessing someone based on 20 pieces of information, not finding loopholes (even by chance) to extract free questions.

damo666
Posts: 14182
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 am
Location: London
Karma: 4657
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#51 Post by damo666 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:14 pm

British?

User avatar
DougJoe
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Location: Alto, MI, USA
Karma: 127
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#52 Post by DougJoe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:15 pm

Free guess: Angela Lansbury
1

User avatar
DougJoe
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Location: Alto, MI, USA
Karma: 127
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#53 Post by DougJoe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:28 pm

damo666 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:14 pm
British?
Sounds like we were on the same page... I hadn't seen your post but had just googled "famous dead British actresses" and Lansbury was first on the list and I figured I'd take a shot because I liked the idea of a Brit who is well known to us Yanks for starring in US TV as a subject for this game.

damo666
Posts: 14182
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 am
Location: London
Karma: 4657
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#54 Post by damo666 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:03 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:28 pm
damo666 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:14 pm
British?
Sounds like we were on the same page... I hadn't seen your post but had just googled "famous dead British actresses" and Lansbury was first on the list and I figured I'd take a shot because I liked the idea of a Brit who is well known to us Yanks for starring in US TV as a subject for this game.
I hope you're right.

User avatar
Foxcastle
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 1559
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#55 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:14 pm

I mean, it could still be Geraldine McEwan... But it's not. Congratulations DougJoe

User avatar
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 24842
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 15522
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#56 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:20 pm

Ahh.

I considered Angela Lansbury but did not guess her because I thought she had won an Oscar.

She was nominated as an actress three times but did not win. However she was awarded the Academy Honorary Award in 2013. Some would regard this as an "Oscar" because it's awarded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and recipients are presented with the same "Oscar" statuette.

But I'm not going to split hairs and well done to DougJoe on a good guess.

User avatar
Foxcastle
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 1559
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#57 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:20 pm
Ahh.

I considered Angela Lansbury but did not guess her because I thought she had won an Oscar.

She was nominated as an actress three times but did not win. However she was awarded the Academy Honorary Award in 2013. Some would regard this as an "Oscar" because it's awarded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and recipients are presented with the same "Oscar" statuette.

But I'm not going to split hairs and well done to DougJoe on a good guess.
I did doublecheck this before answering: the Oscars are distinctly the competitive awards, and they are in separate sections on both the Academy website and the Wikipedia article on the Academy Awards (which states "In addition to the Academy Award of Merit (Oscar award), there are nine honorary (non-competitive) awards...") If the question had been "Did she win an Academy Award?" I probably would have said yes.

User avatar
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 24842
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 15522
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#58 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:40 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:20 pm
Ahh.

I considered Angela Lansbury but did not guess her because I thought she had won an Oscar.

She was nominated as an actress three times but did not win. However she was awarded the Academy Honorary Award in 2013. Some would regard this as an "Oscar" because it's awarded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and recipients are presented with the same "Oscar" statuette.

But I'm not going to split hairs and well done to DougJoe on a good guess.
I did doublecheck this before answering: the Oscars are distinctly the competitive awards, and they are in separate sections on both the Academy website and the Wikipedia article on the Academy Awards (which states "In addition to the Academy Award of Merit (Oscar award), there are nine honorary (non-competitive) awards...") If the question had been "Did she win an Academy Award?" I probably would have said yes.
Oh yes that's fine, no worries, I was not criticising your adjudication. I almost guessed her anyway, and then I saw DougJoe had beaten me to the punch.

I do enjoy "Murder She Wrote".
1

User avatar
DougJoe
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Location: Alto, MI, USA
Karma: 127
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#59 Post by DougJoe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:30 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:40 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:20 pm
Ahh.

I considered Angela Lansbury but did not guess her because I thought she had won an Oscar.

She was nominated as an actress three times but did not win. However she was awarded the Academy Honorary Award in 2013. Some would regard this as an "Oscar" because it's awarded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and recipients are presented with the same "Oscar" statuette.

But I'm not going to split hairs and well done to DougJoe on a good guess.
I did doublecheck this before answering: the Oscars are distinctly the competitive awards, and they are in separate sections on both the Academy website and the Wikipedia article on the Academy Awards (which states "In addition to the Academy Award of Merit (Oscar award), there are nine honorary (non-competitive) awards...") If the question had been "Did she win an Academy Award?" I probably would have said yes.
Oh yes that's fine, no worries, I was not criticising your adjudication. I almost guessed her anyway, and then I saw DougJoe had beaten me to the punch.

I do enjoy "Murder She Wrote".
My mom watched in religiously when it ran. Cabot Cove, murder capital of the world!

Game 101 will probably start later tonight, I'm headed out to a robotics competition in a few minutes and that'll give me time to think of someone fun...
1

User avatar
Foxcastle
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 1559
Contact:

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 100

#60 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:35 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:40 pm
I do enjoy "Murder She Wrote".
Same. That's why I picked her, I've been keeping it on in the background while I work from home. I'm in the middle of season 3.
2

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests