MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
bozotheclown

Re: MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#3501 Post by bozotheclown » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:35 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:32 pm
bozotheclown wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:22 pm
All the suspicion of TFB without votes to back it up makes me think that TFB is a good DK today.
what? there's like 1 person less on boat man than the current leading wagon
With only 2 votes, despite about 6 of 10 players saying they suspect he is mafia.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3502 Post by dargorygel » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:26 pm

As a noun, tie comes from the Old English teag, meaning ,"cord, band, thong, fetter." Literally "that with which anything is tied. " However the English borrows from Proto-Germanic *taugo (source also of Old Norse taug "tie," tygill "string"), and from PIE root *deuk- "to lead" (source also of Old English teon "to draw, pull, drag").
Beyond the simple cord, our more modern sense of the word is recorded from 1550s.

For you fashionable folk, a tie being worn as a "cravat, necktie" (usually a simple one knotted in front) was first recorded 1761. The figurative old school tie (1938) in its literal sense was a necktie of a characteristic pattern worn by former students of a particular English school.

The railway sense of "cross-beam between and beneath rails to keep them in place" is from 1857, American English.

Key to our Mafia purposes, a tie meaning "equality between competitors" is first found 1670s, from the notion of a connecting link. Subsequently, and surprisingly recent, a Tie-breaker is first recorded around 1938.

As a verb, Old English tigan, tiegan "to tie, bind, join, connect," from the source of tie (n.). It began to show up as a verb meaning "to finish equal to a competitor" is from 1888.

Related forms of interest include to tie the knot in the figurative sense "form a union" in marriage is from 1707. And to tie one on meaning to "get drunk" is recorded from 1944.

VOTE COUNT
President Eden (3): bona, rdr, BK
Chaqa (2) fish, Koala
TheFlyingBoat (2): bozo, Chaqa
Rdrivera2005 (2): Eden, Neon
BK3K (1): Boat

Only one ‘end early’ vote so far, Neon on rdr.

All have voted.

President Eden is indicated by the present vote to be executed.

Almost 8 and a half hours left in this day.

President Eden

#3503 Post by President Eden » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:52 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:33 pm
What specifically changed your mind about rdrivera?
I can’t make up my mind on whether ghug was bussed or not
Wanted to see what would happen if I gave people the chance to vote rdr since he’s been in the POE pool
No one bit

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3504 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:58 pm

President Eden wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:52 pm
bozotheclown wrote:
Wanted to see what would happen if I gave people the chance to vote rdr since he’s been in the POE pool
No one bit
Neon bit. What you think about it?

President Eden

#3505 Post by President Eden » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:59 pm

Today has been fucking weird.

We have a near consensus that half the players still alive are good shots
We have one miss left and way too many targets
Yet at no point have any big wagons coalesced. Chaqa was the biggest total at 4, I’m the biggest active at 3.
It’s like no one actually cares lol. And I’m sure three of you don’t… but I hope the other six do…

President Eden

#3506 Post by President Eden » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:01 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:58 pm
President Eden wrote:
bozotheclown wrote:
No one bit
True. Neon is nigh-confirmed town so I don’t think much of it lol.

It makes me think you’re probably a good shot, since I know it’s 100% town on you, and a lot of people have your name in their mouths for POE pool but didn’t care to vote you

But that seemingly can be said about most players concerning most wagons today…

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3507 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:04 pm

President Eden wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:01 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
President Eden wrote:

No one bit

It makes me think you’re probably a good shot, since I know it’s 100% town on you, and a lot of people have your name in their mouths for POE pool but didn’t care to vote you

The fact you are giving soo much trust on that Neon claim is what is making me hiighly suspicious of you. But then Neon just following your vote on me seems weird as hell if you are Mafia together, so I just don't know what is happening.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3508 Post by Chaqa » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:05 pm

Chaqqam's razor says punt Chaqa

BK3K

#3509 Post by BK3K » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:05 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
All the suspicion of TFB without votes to back it up makes me think that TFB is a good DK today.
Of all the people swirling around my head, you're never in the scum Poe. I'll back you up.

Other person's of interest for me include: Eden, chaqa, koala, bona. And honestly, i would have a good clear on anyone. If any one of you flipped scum, it wouldn't shock me.

##vote theboat

BK3K

#3510 Post by BK3K » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:08 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:05 pm
This made me laugh

President Eden

#3511 Post by President Eden » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:08 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:04 pm
President Eden wrote:
rdrivera2005 wrote:

The fact you are giving soo much trust on that Neon claim is what is making me hiighly suspicious of you. But then Neon just following your vote on me seems weird as hell if you are Mafia together, so I just don't know what is happening.
Cc or no balls lol

It’s that simple.

The explanation for the non-save on Flum being the result of afk fits too well.
There is no upside and considerable downside to questioning the claim before KILO.
So if you want me to doubt it, cc. Otherwise no

President Eden

#3512 Post by President Eden » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:09 pm

Chaqa wrote:
You joke, but……

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3513 Post by Chaqa » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:14 pm

President Eden wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:09 pm
Chaqa wrote:
You joke, but……
Honestly I feel like I've been pretty not scummy this game, people just keep taking every joke I make the wrong way. I haven't even fake claimed any role that's in the game yet!

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3514 Post by dargorygel » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:20 pm

Occam’s razor, also spelled Ockham’s razor, also called law of economy or law of parsimony, principle stated by the Scholastic philosopher William of Ockham (1285–1347/49) that pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate, “plurality should not be posited without necessity.” The principle gives precedence to simplicity: of two competing theories, the simpler explanation of an entity is to be preferred. The principle is also expressed as “Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity.”
The principle was, in fact, invoked before Ockham by Durandus of Saint-Pourçain, a French Dominican theologian and philosopher of dubious orthodoxy, who used it to explain that abstraction is the apprehension of some real entity, such as an Aristotelian cognitive species, an active intellect, or a disposition, all of which he spurned as unnecessary. Likewise, in science, Nicole d’Oresme, a 14th-century French physicist, invoked the law of economy, as did Galileo later, in defending the simplest hypothesis of the heavens. Other later scientists stated similar simplifying laws and principles.

Ockham, however, mentioned the principle so frequently and employed it so sharply that it was called “Occam’s razor” (also spelled Ockham’s razor). He used it, for instance, to dispense with relations, which he held to be nothing distinct from their foundation in things; with efficient causality, which he tended to view merely as regular succession; with motion, which is merely the reappearance of a thing in a different place; with psychological powers distinct for each mode of sense; and with the presence of ideas in the mind of the Creator, which are merely the creatures themselves.

Another Vote Count
TheFlyingBoat (3): bozo, Chaqa, BK
President Eden (2): Bona, rdr
Chaqa (2): fish, Koala
Rdrivera2005 (2): Eden, Neon
BK3K (1): Boat

The Flying Boat is sinking.
Around 7.5 hours left.

President Eden

#3515 Post by President Eden » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:30 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:14 pm
President Eden wrote:
Chaqa wrote:
You joke, but……
Honestly I feel like I've been pretty not scummy this game, people just keep taking every joke I make the wrong way. I haven't even fake claimed any role that's in the game yet!
It’s not that, at least for me. Your investment level is uncharacteristic of your town game, but not your mafia game. You’ll coast sometimes as town, but you will have a view of the game state and some idea of where to go next. This degree of coasting is more likely to come from mafia

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3516 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:33 pm

President Eden wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:08 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
President Eden wrote:

Cc or no balls lol

It’s that simple.

There is no upside and considerable downside to questioning the claim before KILO.
Do you think Doctor should cc? You said this to Chaqa but I thought it was a joke.
I just think Neon claimed to get some time without pressure as no doc will just claim at that point and if they are scum they will just retreat the claim and if they are town it will probably cost town the game.

bozotheclown

#3517 Post by bozotheclown » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:35 pm

BK3K wrote:
bozotheclown wrote:
Of all the people swirling around my head, you're never in the scum Poe. I'll back you up.

Other person's of interest for me include: Eden, chaqa, koala, bona. And honestly, i would have a good clear on anyone. If any one of you flipped scum, it wouldn't shock me.

##vote theboat
I think TFB/PE/Chaqa is a possibility.

ghug backed off his scum read of TFB D1 EOD, so knowing ghug was mafia, their was a scum motivation for it. It seems like an odd time to switch from targeting TFB to pocketing TFB, so I suspect ghug was providing a justification for not voting for TFB. PE did the same thing D1, so it is possible PE had been distance voting TFB as well. Chaqa's unexplained D1 EOD move to TFB also could be distancing.

President Eden

#3518 Post by President Eden » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:38 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:33 pm
President Eden wrote:
rdrivera2005 wrote:

Cc or no balls lol

It’s that simple.

Do you think Doctor should cc? You said this to Chaqa but I thought it was a joke.
I just think Neon claimed to get some time without pressure as no doc will just claim at that point and if they are scum they will just retreat the claim and if they are town it will probably cost town the game.
Neon is way too entrenched to be fakeclaiming town. If she retracts she dies, it’s that simple.

I don’t actually think Doc should claim right now, I’m saying I won’t entertain conspiracies missing the necessary smoking gun with how few miskills we have. You want me to consider killing Neon then cc or show me who the Doc is.

bozotheclown

#3519 Post by bozotheclown » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:40 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:33 pm
President Eden wrote:
rdrivera2005 wrote:

Cc or no balls lol

It’s that simple.

PE could be trying to make sure Neon is the doctor so they know how to use the RB/NK.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3520 Post by Chaqa » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:46 pm

President Eden wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:30 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:14 pm
President Eden wrote:

You joke, but……
It’s not that, at least for me. Your investment level is uncharacteristic of your town game, but not your mafia game. You’ll coast sometimes as town, but you will have a view of the game state and some idea of where to go next. This degree of coasting is more likely to come from mafia
But I *do* have a view on the game state. I've been poking and prodding at Koala for most of the game, I've been narrowing the PoE down over time...

As far as investment, I will admit I am not super invested, but it's largely for out of game reasons. Unfortunately, the only way to prove this would be to talk to you about it out of the game I think, which kinda sucks because obviously it's against the rules.