Twenty Questions: Game LXXX

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
VillageIdiot

Re: Twenty Questions: Game LXXX

#61 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:02 am

Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:15 am
Nothing so far presents the candidate from being in mainstream English-speaking entertainment... (just not a native English speaker)

Was he ever nominated for a Tony Award, Olivier Award, Critics' Circle Theatre Award, Irish Theatre Award, Academy Award (Oscar), BAFTA, or did he win a Nobel Prize?
No

Hint: Most of these awards didn't exist yet at the height of his career, although I also don't believe he would have been nominated for any of these even if they did.

Your first point is a good one.

Foxcastle

#62 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:15 am

So maybe some theatre impresario who wouldn't have been an actor, director, or writer, probably in the US, UK, or Canada, whose career peaked before the 50s-70s...

JECE

#63 Post by JECE » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:41 am

Spring-time for Hit-ler in Germanyyyyyyyy
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

VillageIdiot

#64 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:44 am

1. Real person
2. Male
3. Not currently alive
4. Involved in politics or arts
5. Not native English speaker
6. Died before 1st Jan 1990
7. Not primarily known for being involved in politics
8. Not a painter, sculptor, or architect
9. Died on or after 1st Jan, 1900
10. Not born in the Americas
11. Has direct connections to movie industry
12. Was a national or otherwise associated with a film industry in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Spain, or Japan in a manner that we would directly associate and connect them to one of those countries movie industries. *room for debate
14. Not principally known as a film director
15. Never a national or associated with film in Germany or Austria
16. Not involved in music
17. Primarily known for being involved in theatre (stage plays, musicals, Broadway, etc)
18. Not involved in wartime film or propaganda, or anti-war films
19. Never nominated for a Tony Award, Olivier Award, Critics' Circle Theatre Award, Irish Theatre Award, Academy Award (Oscar), BAFTA, or won a Nobel Prize

Incorrect Guesses:
- Fritz Lang
- Karel Capek

One question left.

Feel free to fire away some guesses, the list is pretty short. :)

Saw725

#65 Post by Saw725 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:07 am

That asterisk is throwing me off. I think we need to use our last question to try and figure out what it means. Anyone have any ideas?

Saw725

#66 Post by Saw725 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:43 am

I guess I'll take the last question.

Were any of his works written in or first performed in the Americas?

If so, I'm going to guess Federico Garcia Lorca.

VillageIdiot

#67 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:49 am

Saw725 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:43 am
I guess I'll take the last question.

Were any of his works written in or first performed in the Americas?

If so, I'm going to guess Federico Garcia Lorca.
Yes.

But not Federico Garcia Lorca

VillageIdiot

#68 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:18 am

And I just noticed the number was off and we skipped 13, so still one more question in play.

1. Real person
2. Male
3. Not currently alive
4. Involved in politics or arts
5. Not native English speaker
6. Died before 1st Jan 1990
7. Not primarily known for being involved in politics
8. Not a painter, sculptor, or architect
9. Died on or after 1st Jan, 1900
10. Not born in the Americas
11. Has direct connections to movie industry
12. Was a national or otherwise associated with a film industry in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Spain, or Japan in a manner that we would directly associate and connect them to one of those countries movie industries. *room for debate
13. Not principally known as a film director
14. Never a national or associated with film in Germany or Austria
15. Not involved in music
16. Primarily known for being involved in theatre (stage plays, musicals, Broadway, etc)
17. Not involved in wartime film or propaganda, or anti-war films
18. Never nominated for a Tony Award, Olivier Award, Critics' Circle Theatre Award, Irish Theatre Award, Academy Award (Oscar), BAFTA, or won a Nobel Prize
19. Had work/performances that first debuted in the americas

Incorrect Guesses:
- Fritz Lang
- Karel Capek
- Federico Garcia Lorca

Hint:
- This person was a performer
- He falls in the “etc” category of the theater question

VillageIdiot

#69 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:35 am

Saw725 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:07 am
That asterisk is throwing me off. I think we need to use our last question to try and figure out what it means. Anyone have any ideas?
I’ll add a little more clarity to the asterisk after the last questions been asked.

damo666

#70 Post by damo666 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:58 am

Guess

Alexandre Bisson

Hamish

#71 Post by Hamish » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:22 pm

I was thinking the asterisk may mean he was born somewhere that changed ownership later so would be considered Germany/Austria when he was born, but not anymore. Somewhere like Danzig/Gdansk, would make him German by birth but would be in Poland now.

VillageIdiot

#72 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:35 pm

damo666 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:58 am
Guess

Alexandre Bisson
Not a bad guess, but no not Alexandre Bisson.

Jamiet99uk

#73 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:47 pm

Is he particularly known as a playwright or producer? (Rather than an actor).
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

DougJoe

#74 Post by DougJoe » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:47 pm

I've already used my free guess, so I have an idea that I want to throw at the group: Harry Houdini.

The "etc" part of the theater question (and the hint about being a performer) made me think of the U.S. Vaudeville scene and I started looking through lists of performers and came across Houdini:

He was born in Hungary (although it was part of Austria-Hungary at the time, so not sure about nationality, vis-a-vis Q 12 and 14).

According to Wikipedia, "In 1909, Houdini made a film in Paris for Cinema Lux titled Merveilleux Exploits du Célèbre Houdini à Paris (Marvellous Exploits of the Famous Houdini in Paris)." (There's the connection to the film industry in France).

Jamiet99uk

#75 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:47 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:47 pm
I've already used my free guess, so I have an idea that I want to throw at the group: Harry Houdini.

The "etc" part of the theater question (and the hint about being a performer) made me think of the U.S. Vaudeville scene and I started looking through lists of performers and came across Houdini:

He was born in Hungary (although it was part of Austria-Hungary at the time, so not sure about nationality, vis-a-vis Q 12 and 14).

According to Wikipedia, "In 1909, Houdini made a film in Paris for Cinema Lux titled Merveilleux Exploits du Célèbre Houdini à Paris (Marvellous Exploits of the Famous Houdini in Paris)." (There's the connection to the film industry in France).
Good idea.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

DougJoe

#76 Post by DougJoe » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:51 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
DougJoe wrote:

Good idea.
Jamiet99uk wrote:
VI, if the answer to this final question is no, I will guess Harry Houdini.

DougJoe

#77 Post by DougJoe » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:06 pm

Also, I am learning so much random stuff from the iterations of this game! During my research this morning, I came across this guy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grock) whom I had never heard of (and he's not our guy, too musical for one) but this Wikipedia page claims that he was at one point called the "king of clowns" and "the highest paid entertainer in the world" (although the article the citation points to says Europe, not the world).

VillageIdiot

#78 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:31 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:51 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
DougJoe wrote:

Good idea.
Jamiet99uk wrote:
VI, if the answer to this final question is no, I will guess Harry Houdini.
We have a winner!!!

Great job DougJoe!

The Austria question definitely left me on a tightrope on how to respond, but turned out that when it came down to “nationally” they were still considered independent which meant he was Hungarian. Dodged it a bit with the movie industry add on, although even then it was questionable if he’d be considered widely associated with the French movie industry based off one short movie.

DougJoe

#79 Post by DougJoe » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm

VillageIdiot wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:31 pm
We have a winner!!!

Great job DougJoe!

The Austria question definitely left me on a tightrope on how to respond, but turned out that when it came down to “nationally” they were still considered independent which meant he was Hungarian. Dodged it a bit with the movie industry add on, although even then it was questionable if he’d be considered widely associated with the French movie industry based off one short movie.
That was a great pick, VI. I was trying really hard to figure out if the asterisk applied to the nationality side or the film side of Q12.

Game 81 to start sometime in the next couple of hours!

JECE

#80 Post by JECE » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:59 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm
VillageIdiot wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:31 pm
We have a winner!!!

Great job DougJoe!

That was a great pick, VI. I was trying really hard to figure out if the asterisk applied to the nationality side or the film side of Q12.

Game 81 to start sometime in the next couple of hours!
Hmm, interesting! I didn't really mean for the question to include the Lands of the Crown of Saint Stephen. But I also didn't realize that Austro-Hungarians used at least three different passports!

The film side of the question was meant to exclude people like Houdini, though. Although I guess that I could have ommitted that part of the question, since people like Joséphine Baker would eventuslly get naturalized.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421