MAFIA 75: TROUBLE AT THE PRECINCT [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: MAFIA 75: TROUBLE AT THE PRECINCT [HIDDEN]

#941 Post by dargorygel » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:18 pm

BesharamSabi wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:07 pm
President Eden wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:46 pm

Sorry, who? There’s five hes in there
Eden, sabi is pointing out that yiu say, "six" but there are five listed.
It's those five plus rdr that he mentioned as his bottom six reads.
Ahh... i get it. Nvm

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#942 Post by dargorygel » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:19 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:16 pm
Why so much endvoting?
There was a brief discussion about upping our ending game... more pressure. Another tool...

President Eden

#943 Post by President Eden » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:19 pm

No it’s not that. I’m having trouble figuring out how to say what I mean without coming off like a condescending asshole. And I’m really trying not to be, though I suspect I’m going to fail. I’m just trying to explain what I see as I see it in a way that can easily be understood, ideally as respectfully and delicately as possible.

But from my perspective, despite Sabi’s claims to the contrary, I don’t actually see a meaningful change in how they approach the game. They seem to have merely learned that townies who talk about “solving slots” and “forming a town core” and “avoiding confirmation bias” are regarded as smart and talented at the game, and have accordingly incorporated those words into their posting, while not actually changing the substance of how they play at all. It’s the same empty “vibes” reasoning, the same endless questions that go nowhere, the same hyperfocus on any post involving them, the same overarching drive less to win and more to be seen as good at the game and get approval from other players. And then there’s this weird condescension thrown on top, like my confusion over the typo was insincere and these odd demands to “work with me.”

It’s just all very performative and is throwing me off. It’s not even necessarily mafia behavior although it obviously could come from mafia. It’s more that everything feels like a simulacrum of solving, stage art to be seen and wondered at and praised, not investigation into a mystery to be solved.

I’m sorry if that comes off as mean, I really don’t mean it to be, but I’m posting on a phone which makes it hard to review and edit a post down to be less harsh. I just don’t know what to do with Sabi’s posting, it all feels so fake but it doesn’t even have to be mafia fake. I’m sure Sabi has gained plenty of experience playing elsewhere and maybe things have changed, but I just am not seeing the outward manifestation of it beyond the liberal use of buzzwords.

celaph

#944 Post by celaph » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:20 pm

Byz wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:09 pm
Sup Bona, Sabi. Hello new people. Can someone who is smarter than me explain the name tags?

Playdip superiority btw
Incorrect.

Jamiet99uk

#945 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:20 pm

Rumi Tobari wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:13 pm
@rumi
Why is a tie goodly today?
My understanding is that a tie means nobody dies? And that seems the only way to keep Eden in because while Sabi is all "I just want to save your spot" Sabi noticably tried to vote andother person over Eden. (and I really only picked the non-present people everyone else seems to jump on for lack of acvitity, which seems like a pretty reasonable reason to choose someone without info)

Annd basisially I have a pre-stated personal investment in keeping Eden in because his explanations and such for things are some what beneficial for me fro mym social anxiety standpoint.
The problem with a tie in this setup is the effect of the name tags.

One of us is wearing a name tag which doubles their vote.

One of us is wearing a name tag which nullifies their vote.

So orchestrating a tie cannot be achieved with any certainty.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Jamiet99uk

#946 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:22 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:19 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Why so much endvoting?
There was a brief discussion about upping our ending game... more pressure. Another tool...
Which tool suggested it?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Rumi Tobari

#947 Post by Rumi Tobari » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:22 pm

President Eden wrote:
No it’s not that. I’m having trouble figuring out how to say what I mean without coming off like a condescending asshole. And I’m really trying not to be, though I suspect I’m going to fail. I’m just trying to explain what I see as I see it in a way that can easily be understood, ideally as respectfully and delicately as possible.

But from my perspective, despite Sabi’s claims to the contrary, I don’t actually see a meaningful change in how they approach the game. They seem to have merely learned that townies who talk about “solving slots” and “forming a town core” and “avoiding confirmation bias” are regarded as smart and talented at the game, and have accordingly incorporated those words into their posting, while not actually changing the substance of how they play at all. It’s the same empty “vibes” reasoning, the same endless questions that go nowhere, the same hyperfocus on any post involving them, the same overarching drive less to win and more to be seen as good at the game and get approval from other players. And then there’s this weird condescension thrown on top, like my confusion over the typo was insincere and these odd demands to “work with me.”

It’s just all very performative and is throwing me off. It’s not even necessarily mafia behavior although it obviously could come from mafia. It’s more that everything feels like a simulacrum of solving, stage art to be seen and wondered at and praised, not investigation into a mystery to be solved.

I’m sorry if that comes off as mean, I really don’t mean it to be, but I’m posting on a phone which makes it hard to review and edit a post down to be less harsh. I just don’t know what to do with Sabi’s posting, it all feels so fake but it doesn’t even have to be mafia fake. I’m sure Sabi has gained plenty of experience playing elsewhere and maybe things have changed, but I just am not seeing the outward manifestation of it beyond the liberal use of buzzwords.
Sabi keep seaying "work with me" but voting for you doesn't encourage you to do so at all. And I'm not familair enough with this kind of terminology but see your point and I'd like to have something more doubtful to say, but I've been awake for around 20 hours and can't thin kenough to say anything subtantial.

I'm also not familiar neough with these temrs to sya anyhting either way, but htey did feel kinda weird and terminology-y and buzzwordy.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#948 Post by dargorygel » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:23 pm

Rumi Tobari wrote:
dargorygel wrote:
@rumi
My understanding is that a tie means nobody dies? And that seems the only way to keep Eden in because while Sabi is all "I just want to save your spot" Sabi noticably tried to vote andother person over Eden. (and I really only picked the non-present people everyone else seems to jump on for lack of acvitity, which seems like a pretty reasonable reason to choose someone without info)

Annd basisially I have a pre-stated personal investment in keeping Eden in because his explanations and such for things are some what beneficial for me fro mym social anxiety standpoint.
Ok... fair enough.
You do not need to "keep it tie," though. Lots of time yet. :-)

Rumi Tobari

#949 Post by Rumi Tobari » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:23 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:20 pm
Rumi Tobari wrote:
dargorygel wrote:
@rumi

The problem with a tie in this setup is the effect of the name tags.

One of us is wearing a name tag which doubles their vote.

One of us is wearing a name tag which nullifies their vote.

So orchestrating a tie cannot be achieved with any certainty.
... I still don't know what hte nametags do. Okay then. Fair.

BesharamSabi

#950 Post by BesharamSabi » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:26 pm

President Eden wrote:

I'm trying to adjust my new play style to this site but when majority of the players are just shit posting I am falling a bit flat. I really don't think my questions are empty. I am asking for reads.

I asked Bona to look into ghug because I read ghug and I wanted a fresh pair of eyes that I trusted to give me his opinion soi can see if I'm off base.

I ask these from people I trust all the time because it helps me ground myself. You see it as empty questions but it's not. You are not understanding how I play anymore and it's frustrating. Everyone rather fucking shit post today and not try to play the game they signed up for.

Yes the post was insulting.

BesharamSabi

#951 Post by BesharamSabi » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:28 pm

It's not buzzwordy. The sites I play this normal. And common to use terms all the time in games.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#952 Post by dargorygel » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:29 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:22 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Why so much endvoting?
Which tool suggested it?
Taking your question more seriously than you probs meant it... byz on page 7.

BesharamSabi

#953 Post by BesharamSabi » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm

Here's how I play:

Build a towncore.

Bounce reads with said towncore.

Figure out slots im questioning so I can put them somewhere.

I hate conf biasing myself with slots that end up with town, I'm guilty of that and it takes up all my time and effort so I rather solve slots I have a feeling could maybe tiny bit be town.

Rumi Tobari

#954 Post by Rumi Tobari » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:31 pm

BesharamSabi wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:28 pm
It's not buzzwordy. The sites I play this normal. And common to use terms all the time in games.
Generally, if any kind of terminology is used, I won't actually understand what it means or that its common terminology

BesharamSabi

#955 Post by BesharamSabi » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 pm

This method has made me catch 3/3 scum by D2 and in another game I vigged 2/2 scum at night that won us the game. So like my method works if people play the game.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#956 Post by Chaqa » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:33 pm

BesharamSabi wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:50 pm
I'm trying to solve your slot eden. Work with me here
That sounds like a bad pickup line

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#957 Post by Chaqa » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:33 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Why so much endvoting?
It's fun

President Eden

#958 Post by President Eden » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:34 pm

Ok, but the terms are common because they have meanings that reflect specific behaviors that the person is taking. I don’t see where you are taking these actions.

You talk about solving my slot, but I don’t see where you’ve actually done anything to do that. In the very same set of replies you asked “why me?” to a post which clearly stated why you were where you were. You didn’t even engage with the reason I already gave, and I doubt you’d have engaged the post at all if I hadn’t mentioned you.

You talk about forming a town core, but how does that have anything to do with my post or your reaction to it? Last I checked you thought I was mafia because “the vibes were off,” so why would you care who I think is town or mafia for the purpose of making your own town core?

You talk about avoiding confirmation bias, but I still don’t even see a single concrete reason from you as to why you’d have confirmation bias against me. How would I help you with it when you’ve made no effort to even communicate your read in a way that I can help you with it?

That’s why it all seems performative. These words you use to describe your behavior refer to actions I don’t actually see you taking. I just don’t get it.

Rumi Tobari

#959 Post by Rumi Tobari » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:34 pm

BesharamSabi wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 pm
This method has made me catch 3/3 scum by D2 and in another game I vigged 2/2 scum at night that won us the game. So like my method works if people play the game.
I read two differnet things in this statement
1. I claim this to be true, but am not offering proof.
2. "This totally works, but everyone has to be on board with doing things my way"

President Eden

#960 Post by President Eden » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:36 pm

BesharamSabi wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm
Here's how I play:

Build a towncore.

Bounce reads with said towncore.

Figure out slots im questioning so I can put them somewhere.

I hate conf biasing myself with slots that end up with town, I'm guilty of that and it takes up all my time and effort so I rather solve slots I have a feeling could maybe tiny bit be town.
Yes, right, that’s similar to how I do things. The issue is I don’t see you actually doing any of this.