TWENTY QUESTIONS - ROUND XXXVIII

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: TWENTY QUESTIONS - ROUND XXXVIII

#81 Post by dargorygel » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:33 am

Further, what gave me the idea was non nobility, but with de. I remembered that guy who survived.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#82 Post by Trigfea63 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:25 am

Also, 3) This is a silly rule that has resulted in (so far as I can tell) zero wins for the question master in this game.
The point of the game isn't for the question master to "win." It's for everyone to have fun. It's no fun investing a bunch of time thinking about the riddle, only to find out at the end that it's someone you've never heard of, and you'd have to do a bunch of google research to figure it out. At the very least, tell us at the start that you're changing the "dart" rule for your round.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#83 Post by dargorygel » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:30 am

I thought the purpose of the game was to garnish +1's.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#84 Post by Trigfea63 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:35 am

That post warrants a +1 :-D

Hamish

#85 Post by Hamish » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:10 am

Tolstoy wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:03 pm
Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca

As for the 50% question, I would point out that 1) Cabeza de Vaca's story is told to just about every child going through the K-12 education system in America at least once, and 2) his name returns more google search results than Cortes and Pizarro combined. Also, 3) This is a silly rule that has resulted in (so far as I can tell) zero wins for the question master in this game.
Like I said, never heard of the guy. But then, I did not go through the American school system. And I think there are quite a few non- Americans here. We would have to do a poll to see if we're the majority. It's a matter of perspective.

Octavious

#86 Post by Octavious » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:20 am

The dart rule is a great rule as it can be interpreted any way you like. There's no way you could ever break it, so anything goes, but it does hint at the spirit of how the game might be played. More rules should be like this.

The game could be a little more varied in style, I guess. If I was doing another round, for example, I would choose someone extremely well known and obvious, but make my answers as misleading as possible. Could be a fun variant... or possibly an awful one :)
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

#87 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:23 am

Octavious wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:20 am
The dart rule is a great rule as it can be interpreted any way you like. There's no way you could ever break it, so anything goes, but it does hint at the spirit of how the game might be played. More rules should be like this.

The game could be a little more varied in style, I guess. If I was doing another round, for example, I would choose someone extremely well known and obvious, but make my answers as misleading as possible. Could be a fun variant... or possibly an awful one :)
It's quite hard to give misleading answers to "yes or no" questions without lying.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

damo666

#88 Post by damo666 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:59 am

Hamish wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:10 am
Tolstoy wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:03 pm
Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca

As for the 50% question, I would point out that 1) Cabeza de Vaca's story is told to just about every child going through the K-12 education system in America at least once, and 2) his name returns more google search results than Cortes and Pizarro combined. Also, 3) This is a silly rule that has resulted in (so far as I can tell) zero wins for the question master in this game.
Like I said, never heard of the guy. But then, I did not go through the American school system. And I think there are quite a few non- Americans here. We would have to do a poll to see if we're the majority. It's a matter of perspective.
It all depends where the window is doesn't it.

Octavious

#89 Post by Octavious » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:26 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:23 am
Octavious wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:20 am

It's quite hard to give misleading answers to "yes or no" questions without lying.
No it isn't.

For example

Q Is he an award winning actor

A Yes

This would be a truthful but misleading answer to a question when the subject is Donald Trump, and in a normal game you'd expect the answer to be fleshed out a bit to avoid this.

But there's a well established precedent for not sticking strictly to yes and no, so you could also quite truthfully give this response

A He is a multi-award winning actor!

(as we all know, amongst Donald Trump's many achievements are winning the Razzie Award for Worst Actor in 2019 and Worst Supporting Actor back in 1991)
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience