Mafia Life After QuickTopic

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
President Eden

Mafia Life After QuickTopic

#1 Post by President Eden » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 pm

Greetings mafia players!

As most of you are aware, QuickTopic officially terminated the ability of its users to post in its threads over the weekend, in advance of its planned shutdown in December.

The Mafia Council has been discussing the transition from QuickTopic to another service. We’ve found two things to be true:

1. Some of the abstractly more powerful services, notably (but not only) Discord, require users to register with the service to use it. Part of QuickTopic’s convenience was not requiring registering with an outside site to use its services. It’s unclear to us how important this angle is to you.

2. We shouldn’t make this decision without your input. We appreciate the trust you’ve placed in us to keep this community great, and we think if push came to shove, we could find a functional solution without that input. But we know you have strong feelings about the best solution to this problem, and we want to get this right by you.

If you want to be involved in this decision, feel free to chime in below this post. Chime in however you wish; that said, some questions which we would particularly appreciate seeing you discuss include:
• Would you be willing to use webDiplomacy’s on-site private messaging service to participate in mafia games going forward?
• Would you be willing to register for an outside service (e.g., Discord) to participate in mafia games going forward?
• Regardless of your answers above, which outside services, if any, do you prefer webDip Mafia to use going forward?
• Are there any services which you explicitly will not use to participate in mafia games going forward?

Thanks for your time and input - your participation is part of what makes this one of the best Mafia communities on the Internet.

damo666

Re: Mafia Life After QuickTopic

#2 Post by damo666 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:02 pm

PM limited to 1:1, no objection but 3+ mafteams?

Fluminator

#3 Post by Fluminator » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 pm

Why don't mafia communicate using world of text? It's big enough it would be quite hard for a townie to find where they're talking.

https://ourworldoftext.com/

damo666

#4 Post by damo666 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:07 pm

Unaware of other services.

Willing to reg for discord but when I've used it (as invitee) found it v frustrating (perhaps you lose functionality as guest? Anyone know?)

Old git in pub has provided as much input as he probably can. Good luck with solution. I'm sure I'll cope.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#5 Post by Chaqa » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 pm

Discord (full stop). (period)

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by Chaqa » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 pm

damo666 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:07 pm

Willing to reg for discord but when I've used it (as invitee) found it v frustrating (perhaps you lose functionality as guest? Anyone know?)

Old git in pub has provided as much input as he probably can. Good luck with solution. I'm sure I'll cope.
There is no "guest" functionality for Discord.

President Eden

#7 Post by President Eden » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 pm

damo666 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:07 pm

Willing to reg for discord but when I’ve used it (as invitee) found it v frustrating (perhaps you lose functionality as guest? Anyone know?)

Old git in pub has provided as much input as he probably can. Good luck with solution. I’m sure I’ll cope.
One thing I know for sure is that whatever service we end up using, we’ll make it a priority to help everyone get up to speed about how to use it conveniently.
Fluminator wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 pm
Why don’t mafia communicate using world of text? It’s big enough it would be quite hard for a townie to find where they’re talking.

well, I know what I’m doing for my next bastard game

Foxcastle

#8 Post by Foxcastle » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:25 pm

WebDip's pm functionality seems clunky. I googled "free no registration private chat room" and found https://y99.in. Maybe that does what you want, or one of the other things that popped up when I typed that into the search bar.

Doesn't discord have the metagaming problem with being able to see when people are active? Like, if I'm only logging into discord right after the night phase begins and right before it ends, and that's something people can see, that could be an issue.

Fluminator

#9 Post by Fluminator » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:52 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:25 pm
WebDip's pm functionality seems clunky. I googled "free no registration private chat room" and found https://y99.in. Maybe that does what you want, or one of the other things that popped up when I typed that into the search bar.
I checked this place out. I joined a chatroom and people kept saying "ASL" and I had no idea what they were talking about. Every time I asked what that meant they left the chat. Then I had a string of guys asking if I was a male or female and every time I answered male they left the chat.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#10 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:48 am

Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:25 pm

Doesn't discord have the metagaming problem with being able to see when people are active? Like, if I'm only logging into discord right after the night phase begins and right before it ends, and that's something people can see, that could be an issue.
You can set your discord status to hidden, similar to how everyone except Jamie and I hide their webdip forum presence. Using a separate server per game also helps with metagaming.

I personally dont really care what we use, as long as it's not something stupid like TikTok

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#11 Post by dargorygel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:16 am

Discord seems easier and versatile. Or telegraph, maybe.

BesharamSabi

#12 Post by BesharamSabi » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:21 am

Discord is easy. There are other forum sites (but you need to make an account and there is no guest ability)

I did walk dargo somewhat through the steps on how to set up for discord.

snowy801

#13 Post by snowy801 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:54 am

You don't actually technically have to register for discord unless they changed that. You can join as a guest

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#14 Post by dargorygel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 am

BesharamSabi wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:21 am
Discord is easy. There are other forum sites (but you need to make an account and there is no guest ability)

I did walk dargo somewhat through the steps on how to set up for discord.
Yes, they did. (Thanks sabi.)

ChrisVis

#15 Post by ChrisVis » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am

I would like to play Mafia, and I don't mind whether it's played on Discord or elsewhere.

May I join the Mafia community, please? What should I do to join the Mafia community? And is there somewhere I can find out more, please? For example, who are the members of the Mafia Council?

TheMadMonarch

#16 Post by TheMadMonarch » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 am

ChrisVis wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am
I would like to play Mafia, and I don't mind whether it's played on Discord or elsewhere.

May I join the Mafia community, please? What should I do to join the Mafia community? And is there somewhere I can find out more, please? For example, who are the members of the Mafia Council?
To join, just add your name to a sign up list when it comes out (whenever a new game is starting). It's as simple as that!

Jamiet99uk

#17 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:45 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 pm
Why don't mafia communicate using world of text? It's big enough it would be quite hard for a townie to find where they're talking.

What the fuck is that?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:51 pm

• Would you be willing to use webDiplomacy’s on-site private messaging service to participate in mafia games going forward?

I would, but I think Damo is right that it wouldn't work well for team chats.

• Would you be willing to register for an outside service (e.g., Discord) to participate in mafia games going forward?

Potentially if there is no better alternative.

• Regardless of your answers above, which outside services, if any, do you prefer webDip Mafia to use going forward?

www.zombo.com

• Are there any services which you explicitly will not use to participate in mafia games going forward?

I dislike Discord, but if there is no alternative I would still use it.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#19 Post by dargorygel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:57 pm

ChrisVis wrote:

Hi ChrisVis... welcome!
Macca was correct, as they usually are. To join, just sign up when a sign up starts for a new game. (Not sure whent that will be, but soon.)

To find out more look at our master mafia thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=272

The Council is presently chaqa, dargorygel, President Eden, and Vecna.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Have you played forum mafia before?

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#20 Post by dargorygel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:58 pm

ChrisVis wrote:

Oh, one more thing... we play mafia on this forum. We are seeking a way for the mafia team etc. to communicate privately during the game. We have been using Quik Topic for a long time, but it (very) recently shut down.