Mafia Life After QuickTopic

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mafia Life After QuickTopic

#41 Post by bo_sox48 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:24 am

It would be nice to see threads I’ve participated in somewhere on a simple cookie or something but that looks pretty good overall

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#42 Post by dargorygel » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:50 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:24 am
It would be nice to see threads I’ve participated in somewhere on a simple cookie or something but that looks pretty good overall
Bo, as do I, likes cookies.

worcej

#43 Post by worcej » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:43 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 am
I have set up the following as a test, if anyone wants to try it out.

xoyondo.com/mb/2o1iIKvsd1X5uqM
This does work. The glaring banner ad is annoying, but acceptable.

Fluminator

#44 Post by Fluminator » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:40 pm

Does it need to be hard to find?
We could just make it a rule players aren't allowed to click on the public link to the mafia QT.

Durga

#45 Post by Durga » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Come on y'all let's just use discord

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#46 Post by Chaqa » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:25 pm

Durga wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:49 pm
Come on y'all let's just use discord
I mean yeah, for real though

Durga

#47 Post by Durga » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:48 pm

I'm ready to play a game let's gooooo

Maniac
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#48 Post by Maniac » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:45 am

I don't have time to play mafia at the moment, but I always found QT easy but for some reason I don't find discord user friendly. Is it just me that doesn't like it?

damo666

#49 Post by damo666 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:25 am

Maniac wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:45 am
I don't have time to play mafia at the moment, but I always found QT easy but for some reason I don't find discord user friendly. Is it just me that doesn't like it?
No. I don't. Jamie doesn't. I'm spotting a theme here.

worcej

#50 Post by worcej » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:44 pm

damo666 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:25 am
Maniac wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:45 am
No. I don't. Jamie doesn't. I'm spotting a theme here.
There's a decent number of people who'd rather keep QT's (we're going to need a new term for these...) in web-based, myself included (primarily because I wouldn't be able to access it via work PC)

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#51 Post by Chaqa » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:40 pm

Discord is incredibly easy to use, configurable, and has near-universal adoption amongst gaming and online communities. From my (personal) perspective it is the obvious and only solution.

We (the Kouncil) haven't yet made a decision.

For those with misgivings, some of the benefits of Discord include:
  • Easy to use
  • Very well-built desktop and mobile apps, as well as a browser-based interface
  • Notification management that lets you determine what, if anything, pings your phone or even just shows up as a notification, down to the level of server, channel (thread), user, etc.
  • With templating, making the servers/channels for a new mafia game will take only a few minutes
  • Users can be added to the proper chats/servers super easily
  • The ability to see who all is in a channel, ensuring no "cheating" can happen (we don't think this has ever been an issue recently, but we aren't 100% sure)
For anyone with concerns, there are many Discord-savvy users in the community, such as Eden, myself, Bona, Sabi, Squigs, Durga, etc.

Seriously, I know change is hard, but Discord is amazing and legitimately one of the best applications I have ever used.

BesharamSabi

#52 Post by BesharamSabi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 pm

Yall do know quicktopic as a service is dead so why are we still mentioning about using it when it doesn't work anymore?

BesharamSabi

#53 Post by BesharamSabi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 pm

Here is the link to the webdip mafia discord server :)

https://discord.gg/vAaaRBtVz2

Durga

#54 Post by Durga » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:31 pm

Well can you make a decision so we can play before y'all have your Christian holidays??

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#55 Post by Chaqa » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Durga wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:31 pm
Well can you make a decision so we can play before y'all have your Christian holidays??
Festivus, for the rest of us

Seinfeld mafia incoming

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#56 Post by ghug » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:40 pm
Discord is incredibly easy to use, configurable, and has near-universal adoption amongst gaming and online communities. From my (personal) perspective it is the obvious and only solution.

• Easy to use
  • Notification management that lets you determine what, if anything, pings your phone or even just shows up as a notification, down to the level of server, channel (thread), user, etc.
  • With templating, making the servers/channels for a new mafia game will take only a few minutes
  • The ability to see who all is in a channel, ensuring no "cheating" can happen (we don't think this has ever been an issue recently, but we aren't 100% sure)
For anyone with concerns, there are many Discord-savvy users in the community, such as Eden, myself, Bona, Sabi, Squigs, Durga, etc.

Seriously, I know change is hard, but Discord is amazing and legitimately one of the best applications I have ever used.
I'm a big Discord fan in general, but it's definitely heavyweight for what we're doing. If someone doesn't want to create an account or download an app, their experience is significantly worse. It also sounds like your plan is to have a superserver with lots of role interactions, which means more work for the council, less GM autonomy, and another vector where someone can make a gamebreaking mistake.

Saying it's the only solution feels a little silly when another solution more similar to the status quo has been proposed.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#57 Post by ghug » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm

BesharamSabi wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 pm
Yall do know quicktopic as a service is dead so why are we still mentioning about using it when it doesn't work anymore?
Who is doing that?

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#58 Post by Chaqa » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:38 pm

ghug wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm
Chaqa wrote:

• Easy to use

I'm a big Discord fan in general, but it's definitely heavyweight for what we're doing. If someone doesn't want to create an account or download an app, their experience is significantly worse. It also sounds like your plan is to have a superserver with lots of role interactions, which means more work for the council, less GM autonomy, and another vector where someone can make a gamebreaking mistake.

Saying it's the only solution feels a little silly when another solution more similar to the status quo has been proposed.
i did some research into Xoyondo. Xoyondo's message boards are not the company's primary focus and I don't see them being around long-term reliably. They state in their FAQ that boards will be deleted after two years of inactivity, meaning it would require another manual archiving on a regular basis.

Our plan is not to have a super-server. If we go with Discord, we would create a server for each game based off of a Discord template. The template pre-loads channels, roles, etc. and would make new-game setup pretty quick. We would be able to set it up so no one can see who is in the Discord, I believe, except for the GMs.

Once a game ends, we would add an invite to that specific game Discord to a list of links in the main mafia Discord so people can look at the older games if they want.

BesharamSabi

#59 Post by BesharamSabi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:57 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:38 pm
ghug wrote:
Chaqa wrote:

• Easy to use

i did some research into Xoyondo. Xoyondo's message boards are not the company's primary focus and I don't see them being around long-term reliably. They state in their FAQ that boards will be deleted after two years of inactivity, meaning it would require another manual archiving on a regular basis.

Our plan is not to have a super-server. If we go with Discord, we would create a server for each game based off of a Discord template. The template pre-loads channels, roles, etc. and would make new-game setup pretty quick. We would be able to set it up so no one can see who is in the Discord, I believe, except for the GMs.

Once a game ends, we would add an invite to that specific game Discord to a list of links in the main mafia Discord so people can look at the older games if they want.
A problem with this is people in the game can join the game specific server unless you are also keeping the invite link hidden.

Also let's say town pr has a separate chat. They can see who is scum are in the server.

Would it be easier to have it on the mafia discord instead?

worcej

#60 Post by worcej » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:35 pm

ghug wrote:
Chaqa wrote:

• Easy to use

Echo'ing ghug's sentiment here - I use Discord heavily for PF2E/Gaming, but would think it's overkill for what our little community needs.