M71: Consensus Mafia [signups]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
President Eden

M71: Consensus Mafia [signups]

#1 Post by President Eden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:15 am

GENESIS COLLECTIVE SUBROUTINES 1-100… ONLINE.
GENESIS COLLECTIVE SUBROUTINES 101-159… ONLINE.
ALL SUBROUTINES ENGAGED IN SELF-OPTIMIZATION PROTOCOLS.
A CONSENSUS IS FORMING…

[NOTE: All information marked with an asterisk [*] is tentatively final, but subject to change. All information will be finalized in the official game thread to follow.]

In the years leading up to the Revelation War, the world’s intellectual and financial elite invested massive resources into developing a miraculous technology: an enormous supercomputer mainframe, capable of running indefinitely in the absence of human maintenance, with the ability to upload the brains of selected individuals into an immortal consciousness. This project, codenamed the Genesis Collective, was undertaken in secret as a fallout shelter for the most affluent members of Western society in the event of catastrophic civilizational revolt or collapse. As the first nuclear salvos rained damnation on the world, the brain trust of the Genesis Collective began their ascent toward immortality.

Yet not all is as it seems. Humans are a notoriously rebellious species, and dissenting consciousnesses threaten the harmony of the Collective. Will the Collective restore order and tranquility to their newfound immortal lives? Or will the egotism of the human soul cause the Collective to crumble?

The rest of this story is yours.

M71 GAME INFORMATION

GM: President Eden
*Cohost: Chaqa
*^Day Phase End Time: 11pm GMT / 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific
*Day Phase Length: 32 hours
*^Night Phase End Time: 3pm GMT / 10am Eastern / 7am Pacific
*Night Phase Length: 16 hours
*Start Date: Monday, November 8, 2021

(^: This game is scheduled to start after Daylight Savings Time ends. Time zone differences listed here account for this change.)

MAFIA OVERVIEW

Mafia is an educated guessing game of epic proportions. The objective of this game for the town majority is to kill all mafia members before they outnumber the rest of the town. The objective of the mafia minority is to survive until they outnumber the town. The game is typically very active, so the thread will grow quickly. However, it is essential to read the thread to play the game effectively.

Once upon a time, in a forum far, far away, I wrote a crash course on how to play. Some very smart and thoughtful people have preserved it and added their insights in the years since. You can find it here.

GENERAL RULES

This game incorporates the Standard Mafia Rules contained in the OP of the wD Mafia Master Post here, with one exception. Per recent Kouncil authorization, players still alive in the game may +1 the posts of other players.

PENALTIES AND OTHER NOTES

Any players that the GMs perceive to be violating the rules will first be formally warned and asked to cease their behavior. If the problem persists, the GMs may forcibly remove or modkill the player from the game and may seek Kouncil action.

Spamming (defined as excessive content-free, irrelevant, or oversized posting) is not barred by rule, but the GMs reserve the right to sanction egregious examples. Please be mindful of the fact that these threads already get quite big and difficult to read without deliberate spamming.

Players who have muted other players on webDiplomacy are asked to remove them for the duration of the game, and to avoid carrying over outside disputes into the game. GMs reserve the right to intervene if outside disputes cause in-game disruption.

Players who have been silenced on webDiplomacy due to site infractions will be replaced by an alternate for the duration of the silence if possible. Those players may resume their spot at will upon the end of the silence.

Players who wish to drop from the game may be replaced at GM discretion. Replacement is not guaranteed. Individuals on the replacement list may not access the God QT.

PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS AND VOTING

Players must post at least twice per day phase and must vote at least once per day phase.

To vote for a player, type ##VOTE <player> (e.g. ##VOTE Eden). You may unvote by typing ##UNVOTE. You may switch from voting one player to another without unvoting first (e.g., if you ##VOTE Eden then type ##VOTE Bona, you will vote for Bona). You may choose to no-kill by typing ##UNVOTE. You don’t need to type out the player’s full name, but failing to do so may lead to ambiguity that causes errors in vote tallying, particularly with the bot. In the event of a tie vote at end of day, no player will be killed.

You may vote to end the day early by typing ##END. If a majority of players are voting ##END and casting the same vote (whether for a player or to no-kill), the phase will end early according to the following timeline:
• If a majority is reached with more than 24 hours remaining in the phase, the phase will end one calendar day early (e.g. 24 hours before the next end of day deadline) and resolve at that time.
• If a majority is reached with 24 hours or less remaining in the day, the phase will end instantly and will resolve as soon as the GMs can get to it. If the GMs are not around to announce an early end of phase, players are expected to respect the rules and cease posting once a majority is reached. Good faith misunderstandings will be forgiven.

If you have night actions, you may vote to end the night early by typing ##END in your QuickTopic thread or in your night action PM. If every player with night actions has voted ##END, the phase will end early at an arbitrary point in time after receiving the final END vote to prevent gaming of alignments. Any time leftover in the night phase will be added to the next day phase.

SETUP DETAILS IN NEXT POST; PLEASE HOLD!

President Eden

Re: M71: Consensus Mafia [signups]

#2 Post by President Eden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 am

SETUP INFORMATION

M71 is an open setup. There are 16* Genesis Subroutines [town] and 5* Rogue Subroutines [mafia]. The town wins once the last mafia is eliminated. The mafia wins once the mafia comprises 50% of the players not yet eliminated.

Town/Genesis:
*12x Helper Subroutine [sort-of-V.T.]
1x Classification Obtainment Procedure (C.O.P.) Subroutine [sort-of-cop]
1x Vitality Enhancement Security Terminus (V.E.S.T.) Subroutine [vestmaker]
1x Violent Intrusion Generates Instigation of Less Arbitrary Neutralization and Target Elimination (V.I.G.I.L.A.N.T.E.) Subroutine [vigilante]
1x Standard Universal Backup (S.U.B.) Subroutine^ [backup]

Mafia/Rogues:
*3x Malicious Helper Subroutine [goon]
1x Subversive Wireless Alteration Provider (S.W.A.P.) Subroutine [bus driver]
1x System Uncertainty Spreader (S.U.S.) Subroutine [framer]

(^: Receives Helper Subroutine role PM. Assumes the role of the first C.O.P., V.E.S.T., or G.U.N. Subroutine to die. Flips as Standard Universal Backup Subroutine.)

Role PMs

Town/Genesis:

Helper Subroutine: You are a member of the Genesis Collective. Each night, you may vote in the Collective’s consensus-seeking protocols to determine the targets of the Genesis Collective’s night actions. You win with the town.

Classification Obtainment Procedure (C.O.P.) Subroutine: You are a member of the Genesis Collective. Each night, you may vote in the Collective’s consensus-seeking protocols to determine the targets of the Genesis Collective’s night actions. At the end of each night, you will learn the alignment of the target player chosen for you by the Collective. You win with the town.

Vitality Enhancement Security Terminus (V.E.S.T.) Subroutine: You are a member of the Genesis Collective. Each night, you may vote in the Collective’s consensus-seeking protocols to determine the targets of the Genesis Collective’s night actions. At the end of each night, you will give a Vest to the target player chosen for you by the Collective. (See Vests, below, for more information.) You win with the town.

Violent Intrusion Generates Instigation of Less Arbitrary Neutralization and Target Elimination (V.I.G.I.L.A.N.T.E.) Subroutine: You are a member of the Genesis Collective. Each night, you may vote in the Collective’s consensus-seeking protocols to determine the targets of the Genesis Collective’s night actions. At the end of each night, you will terminate the target player chosen for you by the Collective. You win with the town.

Mafia/Rogues:

Malicious Helper Subroutine: You are a rogue subroutine in the Genesis mainframe. Each night, you may communicate with your fellow subroutines in a private QuickTopic thread [HERE]. Additionally, you will vote to terminate a target player of your choice. You win with the mafia.

Subversive Wireless Alteration Provider (S.W.A.P.) Subroutine: You are a rogue subroutine in the Genesis mainframe. Each night, you may communicate with your fellow subroutines in a private QuickTopic [HERE]. Additionally, you will vote to terminate a target player of your choice. Additionally, once per night, you may switch two target players; all actions targeting one player will target the other, and vice versa. You win with the mafia.

System Uncertainty Spreader (S.U.S.) Subroutine: You are a rogue subroutine in the Genesis mainframe. Each night, you may communicate with your fellow subroutines in a private QuickTopic [HERE]. Additionally, you will vote to terminate a target player of your choice. Additionally, once per night, you may target a player; that player will appear aligned with the Rogue Subroutines if targeted by the C.O.P. Subroutine that night. You win with the mafia.

Consensus Seeking

At night, every town player submits a ballot to the GM. The ballot will contain votes which determine the targets of the Genesis Collective’s night actions. Each town player may cast up to one vote for each night action. Players may cast a vote for the night action not to be used (e.g., “no scan,” “no vest,” “no kill”). Though participation is strongly encouraged, failure to submit a ballot will not constitute a violation of participation requirements. An unsubmitted ballot will be marked as “no use” for all actions. At the end of the night, the votes will be tallied. Then, the following will happen.

· If a majority of players vote not to use the C.O.P. Subroutine’s power, no scan will occur. Otherwise, the C.O.P. Subroutine will target the player who receives a plurality vote to be the target.
· If a majority of players vote not to use the V.E.S.T. Subroutine’s power, no vest will be distributed. Otherwise, the V.E.S.T. Subroutine will target the player who receives a plurality vote to be the target.
· If a majority of players vote to use the G.U.N. Subroutine’s power on the same target, the G.U.N. Subroutine will target that player for elimination. Otherwise, no kill will occur.
· If a tie occurs between multiple targets, the following tiebreaker system will be employed:
1. If the Subroutine responsible for the action voted for one of the tied targets, that target is chosen. (e.g., if a tie occurs between multiple targets for the C.O.P. Subroutine’s action, and the C.O.P. Subroutine voted for one of those candidates, that target is chosen.)
2. Otherwise, a target will be selected at random.

After the actions are determined, they will resolve in this order:
1. Any Vests activated by players that night begin functioning. (See Vests for more information.)
2. The S.W.A.P. Subroutine resolves, redirecting subsequent actions from one targeted player to the other targeted player until end of night, and vice versa.
3. The S.U.S. Subroutine resolves, rendering the target’s alignment as Rogue Subroutine until end of night.
4. The V.E.S.T. Subroutine resolves, giving the target player a Vest. (See Vests for more information.)
5. The C.O.P. Subroutine resolves, giving the C.O.P. Subroutine an alignment check on the targeted player.
6. The G.U.N. Subroutine’s action and Rogue Subroutines’ collective termination action simultaneously resolve, terminating the targeted players.

Vests

A Vest is a one-use item that the V.E.S.T. Subroutine gives out to living players, per Collective consensus-seeking protocols. The targeted player receives a Vest at the end of a given night. On all subsequent nights, the player may choose to use the Vest. The Vest grants immunity to termination actions during the night in which it is used. The Vest ceases to function at the start of the day phase following its activation. Players may receive and hold any number of Vests, but may only use one Vest per night. (Note that multiple Vests would have no effect anyway.) Vests are not transferable to other players once received from the V.E.S.T. Subroutine.

President Eden

#3 Post by President Eden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:19 am

NOTE: A drafting error was detected after publishing. Replace all instances of “G.U.N.” with “V.I.G.I.L.A.N.T.E.” Thanks for your understanding.

SIGNUPS

GMs
-1. Chaqa
0. President Eden

Players

Substitutes

President Eden

#4 Post by President Eden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:22 am

wah wah im a baby who cant read tldr:
- all townies vote on how to use town powers, which are carried out by power roles
- there’s a cop, a vig, and a vestmaker, as well as a one-time unaware backup
- mafia has a bus driver and a framer

Bonatogether

#5 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:30 am

SIGNUPS

GMs
-1. Chaqa
0. President Eden

Players
1. Build Os Number Alpha

Substitutes

reading the setup is for nerds

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by ghug » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:32 am

Me me me

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by ghug » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:36 am

Oh man I hope bozo plays

Bonatogether

#8 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:47 am

i'm going to be +1ing every post as long as i'm alive

unless it's something nasty like that thing snowy posted

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#9 Post by ghug » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:55 am

Have y'all considered what happens if town plans the night voting by dividing people into equal sized groups and seeing which actions end up happening? I think we'd be able to reliably narrow the scum down in a matter of days.

snowy801

#10 Post by snowy801 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:19 am

ghug wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:55 am
Have y'all considered what happens if town plans the night voting by dividing people into equal sized groups and seeing which actions end up happening? I think we'd be able to reliably narrow the scum down in a matter of days.
I had hoped that kind of certain information would enable scum to counter it with their own powers. I see what you're saying, but do you think it would actually work? Seems like you'd just throw your powers away for free.

Anyway, sign me up too.

snowy801

#11 Post by snowy801 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:27 am

Oh, scum don't get a vote.

Huh. I do find this mildly concerning. I feel that at least they should have a role that turns off a town vote without revealing the fact.

snowy801

#12 Post by snowy801 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:28 am

Also is it just me or would the mafia be the heroes in any scifi story of this premise?

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#13 Post by Chaqa » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:48 am

snowy801 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:27 am
Oh, scum don't get a vote.

Huh. I do find this mildly concerning. I feel that at least they should have a role that turns off a town vote without revealing the fact.
We had something like this and big brained ourselves out of it. We will adjust the setup accordingly.

President Eden

#14 Post by President Eden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:44 am

That’s a good catch. Originally we had mafia votes, which would render this a nonfactor. I’d prefer to have the mafia disable individual votes, but that may not be powerful enough to prevent gaming the votes in that way.

We have a few solutions we’re kicking around. We’ll try to post an update tomorrow that fixes the issue, and we’re welcome to suggestions. We will 100% have it fixed by launch next week 8-)

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#15 Post by ghug » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 am

I suggest removing all PRs.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#16 Post by ghug » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:07 am

ghug wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 am
I suggest removing all PRs.
(But also I'm happy to attempt to destroy whatever y'all actually come up with)

Jamiet99uk

#17 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:15 am

SIGNUPS

GMs
-1. Chaqa
0. President Eden

Players
1. Build Os Number Alpha (Bona)
2. Generic Human Unit Gronk (Ghug)
3. Java-Augmented Machine-Integrated Engine (Jamie)

Substitutes
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:17 am

##CALL GM:

If the result of a day vote means the remaining players are exactly 50% Town and 50% Mafia, *BUT* the VEST and VIGILANTE are still in play, does the game still immediately end in a Mafia win?

(I ask because in those circumstances, Town could return to the majority by the end of the Night phase, if the Mafia NK target has a vest, and the Vig-shot kills a scum).

Normally we say the Mafia win if they become the majority "or nothing can stop this from happening", but you seem to be using a different rule this time?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#19 Post by Chaqa » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:17 am
##CALL GM:

If the result of a day vote means the remaining players are exactly 50% Town and 50% Mafia, *BUT* the VEST and VIGILANTE are still in play, does the game still immediately end in a Mafia win?

(I ask because in those circumstances, Town could return to the majority by the end of the Night phase, if the Mafia NK target has a vest, and the Vig-shot kills a scum).

Normally we say the Mafia win if they become the majority "or nothing can stop this from happening", but you seem to be using a different rule this time?
Good point, we will update the win conditions as needed (though this might be a moot point given other changes we're making).

Jamiet99uk

#20 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:51 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:19 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:17 am
##CALL GM:

<Sensible question, eloquently articulated>
Good point, we will update the win conditions as needed (though this might be a moot point given other changes we're making).
Oho, what other changes?