wD Mafia Master Post

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1061 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Since we have a game starting (underway, really) this discussion, as absolutely valuable as it is!) should probably be postponed until after M 68 is done.

These discussions are necessary, and rich... but better between games.

Lest ghug let slip some important game-information.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#1062 Post by Hellenic Riot » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:19 am

I long ago learnt not to put effort in on the first day or two because it's really not worth it if you're just going to die early regardless, so I fully sympathise with Chaqa (and anyone else) who likewise coasts through the early game and only really starts trying later on if they actually survive there.

damo666

#1063 Post by damo666 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:16 am

@Jamie I think 'typical' is better than 'normal'.

foodcoats

#1064 Post by foodcoats » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:47 pm

To come back to brain’s original point, which was (I think) to find ways to make WebDip Mafia easier to access and thereby retain new players…

My first game here was a mini-Mafia, and I found that was a really good way to get into it… the full games are so ridiculously massive, and this forum (love it though I do) is pretty janky, so from the outside I considered playing for quite a while before I dared. I know the size of the community probably means it isn’t viable to have a mini between every biggie, but if growth is a goal (I’m not saying it has to be), the minies could be a good strategy.

worcej

#1065 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:57 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:47 pm
To come back to brain’s original point, which was (I think) to find ways to make WebDip Mafia easier to access and thereby retain new players…

My first game here was a mini-Mafia, and I found that was a really good way to get into it… the full games are so ridiculously massive, and this forum (love it though I do) is pretty janky, so from the outside I considered playing for quite a while before I dared. I know the size of the community probably means it isn’t viable to have a mini between every biggie, but if growth is a goal (I’m not saying it has to be), the minies could be a good strategy.
I don't see why someone cannot run a small main game. Limit it to 10 players with alternates.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1066 Post by Hamilton Brian » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:46 am

What about a small game with condensed timelines? 24 hours each day and night?

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#1067 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:03 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:46 am
You willing to GM it? Or anyone else?
Chaqa and emc are working on the long awaited M69. But we have time for a mini game before it starts.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#1068 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:02 pm

maybe a mini game with Brain's suggestion... 24 hour phases, and 24 hour SILENT night phases.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1069 Post by Hamilton Brian » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:03 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:03 am
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Chaqa and emc are working on the long awaited M69. But we have time for a mini game before it starts.
Not having GM'ed or even aware of what that entails, I wouldn't offer myself up alone. If there were an experienced co-? Then sure.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#1070 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:08 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:03 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:03 am
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Not having GM'ed or even aware of what that entails, I wouldn't offer myself up alone. If there were an experienced co-? Then sure.
"It" entails sleepless nights, workless days, emotional turmoil, the anger of the masses, constant self-doubts, loss of appetite, increase of alcohol consumption, and worry about typos.

A mini game is a great way to put your toe in the water. Please give it a try! More seriously, it involves, at this point, figuring out a setup. I would recommend something pretty basic. Think through the interactions of the Roles, and what numbers are best. DURING the game it involves watching the thread, answering PMs, posting occasional VC's, and being ON at EoD and EoN. And it really is a blast.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#1071 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:18 pm

A couple of Konciliar Announcements:

First, the Kouncil accepts Jamiet99uk’s resignation from the Kouncil. Jamie has been invaluable on the Kouncil, as a part of the team that approves set-ups, and finds resolution to game conflicts. He and his brain and his heart will be missed. However, the outburst in M68 displayed an unfortunate reaction to game events. His statement and game conversation spiraled downward. The end result was a set of posts that reflect poorly on webDiplomacy Mafia, and Jamie is well aware of it, and spoke immediately to the rest of the council concerning it, offering his resignation.

While we heartily endorse the concept of second (and third) chances, the council believes that at this time, the wisest course of action is to accept Jamie’s resignation, and encourage him in understanding the outburst’s internal origin. (personal note… that sounds patronizing. But it is exactly what Jamie himself seeks.)

Join us in thanking Jamie, here or by PM, for his work on the Council.

Second, while the Council has spoken about the concept of increasing community involvement in setup analysis, at this time we announce that we will be asking some of you to take part in that process. If you are willing to preview setups (the odd interesting ones in particular, to avoid game breakage and the like) please PM us.

THANKS for playing! And thanks for the community.

President Eden and darg

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#1072 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:45 pm

There were some previous comments about improving the game. I am a newb, I know. But from my newb perspective, I think the game could be improved by limiting the number of posts per "day" not to 150, but to 75, or even 50. This will require some players to alter their game play, but they will have to be more thoughtful in their posts and give less knee jerk responses. Overall, this adds more value to the town.

I had a boss in my first professional job who, when he wanted to hide something from his boss, would inundate him with information. If the big boss wanted to know why a project was going bad, my boss would give him everything, and this overload of information was a sure way to hide any information of value.

Having just played one game, I found the huge number of posts by a couple of players annoying and deafening. And I just stopped reading their posts. There was no point. Especially when one of these frequent posters changed his mind every 2 hours. Why read his posts when he will be saying the opposite soon?

President Eden, and Xorxes are examples of players who didn't post as much, but said a lot in their posts. I think that is what all of us, including myself, should aspire to emulate.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#1073 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:45 pm
There were some previous comments about improving the game. I am a newb, I know. But from my newb perspective, I think the game could be improved by limiting the number of posts per "day" not to 150, but to 75, or even 50. This will require some players to alter their game play, but they will have to be more thoughtful in their posts and give less knee jerk responses. Overall, this adds more value to the town.

I had a boss in my first professional job who, when he wanted to hide something from his boss, would inundate him with information. If the big boss wanted to know why a project was going bad, my boss would give him everything, and this overload of information was a sure way to hide any information of value.

Having just played one game, I found the huge number of posts by a couple of players annoying and deafening. And I just stopped reading their posts. There was no point. Especially when one of these frequent posters changed his mind every 2 hours. Why read his posts when he will be saying the opposite soon?

President Eden, and Xorxes are examples of players who didn't post as much, but said a lot in their posts. I think that is what all of us, including myself, should aspire to emulate.
Good thoughts, particularly from your 'new' perspective. It has been a long time since many of us were 'new,' and it's good to be reminded. I get used to the 'wet dog' smell of my front porch, until someone new comes and scowls.

Regarding your posting limit idea, I get it. However, I am loathe to legislate an answer. I would be VERY content (pleased even) if folk decided to self-limit. To realize the effect on the game as a whole, of both UNDER posting and OVER posting.

A few years ago, the site had a problem with lurkers. They solved it, they believed, by requiring a minimum number of posts. But that solution, while looking good on a spreadsheet, did not solve the problem itself. We are still complaining about lurking. Even with our rule.

Jamiet99uk

#1074 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:30 pm

Thanks Darg.

I will be taking a break from this community for at least a couple of months.

95% of the time I'm really happy at the moment. Life is good. I'm surrounded by friends and having a great life.

Then I come here and I get angry.

So I need to not come here for a while.

Bye for now.

foodcoats

#1075 Post by foodcoats » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:30 pm
Thanks Darg.

95% of the time I'm really happy at the moment. Life is good. I'm surrounded by friends and having a great life.

Bye for now.
Thanks for being a cool dude, Jamie. I selfishly hope you won't be gone long. You make me literally laugh out loud with extreme regularity and you are one of my top "reasons I play Mafia on WebDip" players - even if I show that with in-game snark and derision. I should probably stop that...

Jamiet99uk

#1076 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:21 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:30 pm
Thanks Darg.

Bye for now.
Thanks for being a cool dude, Jamie. I selfishly hope you won't be gone long. You make me literally laugh out loud with extreme regularity and you are one of my top "reasons I play Mafia on WebDip" players - even if I show that with in-game snark and derision. I should probably stop that...
That's kind of you, Foods.

I apologise to everyone for losing my cool.

And, to reassure you, I'm ok, I'm not having some kind of crisis in my personal life. I'm just not always able to stay calm when I'm interacting with certain people here. For a good while in 2019 and 2020 I was in control of that, but recent events suggest that's currently not the case.

I will be back.

snowy801

#1077 Post by snowy801 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:26 am

I have a (half) serious proposal.

Make day 1 shorter than others. 1 day instead of 2?

It will:

a) avoid overinvestment
b) stupid baseless drama from forming for lack of better things to do
c) get town to be working off "solid" info earlier

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#1078 Post by Hellenic Riot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:35 am

I don't really have time to play at the moment, but I'm happy to look over setups if they get sent to me over Discord and help with any balancing if there's a need/desire for that.

damo666

#1079 Post by damo666 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:25 am

snowy801 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:26 am
I have a (half) serious proposal.

Make day 1 shorter than others. 1 day instead of 2?

It will:

a) avoid overinvestment
b) stupid baseless drama from forming for lack of better things to do
c) get town to be working off "solid" info earlier

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
I think this is an excellent suggestion .

damo666

#1080 Post by damo666 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:27 am

@Jamie thanks for your Kouncil contribution. Hope to see you back playing soon.