wD Mafia Master Post

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Jamiet99uk

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1001 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 am

Council Interim Note:

1. Thanks Brainbomb for running M67. Hope everyone had fun.

2. Brainbomb dealt with the situations involving Perplexity and Iflishl correctly. Rulings / sanctions involving those players, as apply beyond this game, will be announced shortly.

3. Vecna, thanks for offering to run the next game. Please could you send Dargorygel and myself a full setup? Like, based on the summary you've posted, can you draft the full setup info and share it with us? Thanks!

Jamiet99uk

#1002 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:59 am

COUNCIL NOTE

I have now joined minds with Dargorygel and we are in agreement that the following sanctions are appropriate:

1. Perplexity's offence, declaring their role to another player via prohibited messaging outside the game, is a very serious offence, rendered more egregious by the fact that Perplexity was in contact with the GMs in the run up to the incident and was clearly told not to do anything silly like this.

Therefore, Perplexity is banned from playing webDip Mafia for 12 months (therefore lasting until June 2022), and requires formal Council approval to sign up for any game after that.

2. Lfishcl's offence was silly but much less game-breaking. Lfischl must serve a one-game ban and is therefore not allowed to sign-up or sub into M68. After this ban is served, Lfischl may return to participation.

Thank you for your attention.

Jamiet99uk

#1003 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:20 am

M68 Update:

Vecna has submitted a wacky setup for review and Darg and I will be taking a look at it for an approval decision (hopefully) very soon.

Jamiet99uk

#1004 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:22 am

M68 Update Update:

Vecna's wacky setup has been officially approved. He may start a sign-up thread when he wishes.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#1005 Post by dargorygel » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:28 pm

webDiplomacy Council Announcement

It is primarily my personal push on the webDip moderators and admins that has kept the Council membership at two members. The Council is an odd duck. It is not authoritarian, but has authority. It is not powerful, but has power. It is not democratic, but attempts to respond to the desires of our community.
I find that having two members on the Council best carries out those conflicting ideas.

If we have more members, things would tend to be decided by some sort of vote. While most of us LIKE the concept of voting, I find that ‘voting’ diminishes discussion. With two members, if there is disagreement, the two MUST find common ground. With three or more members, instead we find ‘winnable’ ground.

I would not want to run a country with a council of two. But it works well for a game thread on a game site.

The present Council is proof in pudding. Jamie and I are extremely dissimilar. We hold to different philosophies of life, game strategies, and authority beliefs. Our personalities are different. Our backgrounds are different. But we have found ourselves working through our disagreements with more and more ease. And our working together has allowed us to become friends. For which I am grateful.

BUT…

I personally am at a place in life where I need to back off a BIT. In fact, I have been already doing so. But I don’t desire to back away completely. So Jamie and I are adding a third member. Since the admins desire at least one of our council be a mod/admin at webDiplomacy, I will remain as the liaison. AND to help out when necessary… to add my VAST skillset and HUGE experience and DEDICATED ancient wisdom occasionally…

While there are MANY of you who could serve with distinction and be an asset to our thread on this site… we have asked President Eden to join the council.
Eden helped bring mafia originally to webDiplomacy, and has the prerequisite experience, skill, and patience to help us on the council.

Join us in welcoming President Eden to the council.

(And yes… this means I AM leaving my ‘two member’ principle. I expect the council will expand.)

President Eden

#1006 Post by President Eden » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:51 pm

Thank you darg. Your leadership has been vital to the success of this community, and I'm glad we still have you, even if real life is getting in the way :)

damo666

#1007 Post by damo666 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:49 am

And with 3 council members need only miss every third game rather than every other game. Good move.

Vecna

#1008 Post by Vecna » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:51 am

I fully advise everyone playing my game to fire at the council ;)

Jamiet99uk

#1009 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Vecna wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:51 am
I fully advise everyone playing my game to fire at the council ;)
Won't it be awkward for you if everyone shoots your co-GM ?

brainbomb

#1010 Post by brainbomb » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:36 am

curious how the same day I asked to join the council I was told the council couldnt expand unless all council members got along.

and then in the same hours Eden was added

brainbomb

#1011 Post by brainbomb » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:41 am

good news is Eden is meteorically beyond qualified!

brainbomb

#1012 Post by brainbomb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 pm

PROPOSAL TO END NIGHT DISCUSSION
As you are all aware; we do things differently here. Most notably we allow the game to never stop spewing out page after page after page of content. I propose we get rid of night discussions and always have a quiet reprieve. I ask this because it is a mafia standard on most communities; our night discussions bog down the game and make it harder for new players to keep up. The topics at night are mostly just derivative sad attempts to bait nightkills or meme about who scum is. The lack of requirement to post at night makes the phase nothing better than game flavor filler
A break for 24 hours is normal and would give players a much needed break to think, to hunt, and reflect.

damo666

#1013 Post by damo666 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:50 am

Reveals are often made EON

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1014 Post by Chaqa » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:09 am

brainbomb wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 pm
As you are all aware; we do things differently here. Most notably we allow the game to never stop spewing out page after page after page of content. I propose we get rid of night discussions and always have a quiet reprieve. I ask this because it is a mafia standard on most communities; our night discussions bog down the game and make it harder for new players to keep up. The topics at night are mostly just derivative sad attempts to bait nightkills or meme about who scum is. The lack of requirement to post at night makes the phase nothing better than game flavor filler
A break for 24 hours is normal and would give players a much needed break to think, to hunt, and reflect.
Is it really the standard?

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#1015 Post by dargorygel » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:43 am

brainbomb wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 pm
I would be absolutely okay with a GM running a game in this way. I don't think I'd particularly enjoy it. The night is a more casual time wherein we can talk about radishes, raccoons, rumania, and rhododendrons.

I do see what brain means, but there are enough benefits to keep talking at night, generally.

Jamiet99uk

#1016 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:49 am

I endorse Dargorygel's view that *if* a GM wants to do this, they can do - occasionally and only in a minority of games. I would however continue to regard such games as non-standard and I would not want them to become the norm here.

I much prefer active nights. I have played on MafiaScum and Mafia Universe where silent night is the norm, and it sucks. It creates two classes of player - those with night actions or access to a QT, and those without. From my perspective it significantly diminishes the involvement and fun of the players in the second category, and treats them as second-class participants.

As a player I will not sign up to any game with a silent night phase.

Jamiet99uk

#1017 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 am

(At some point I need to get around to producing that guidance note on what is considered "normal" for webDip Mafia)

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1018 Post by Chaqa » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 am
(At some point I need to get around to producing that guidance note on what is considered "normal" for webDip Mafia)
Eh, I don't particularly like the idea of "normal" roles. It makes people get too elitist and be like "HURR DURR THIS ISNT THE NORMAL WAY TO DO IT WOW SO BAD LUL"

brainbomb

#1019 Post by brainbomb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:45 pm

I dont particularly like council members personal preferences deciding what the entire community has to endure. Where did you address any of my talking points? other than just rambling how you want everyone to be one type of player who posts at night

brainbomb

#1020 Post by brainbomb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:47 pm

those with a QT talking at night are a team talking about how to use powers and sharing pr reads. thats an essential part of how scum makes decisions. the night phase break on most sites is a break from the game to rethink.