wD Mafia Master Post

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
brainbomb
Posts: 15597
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 4358

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1041 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:54 pm

it is nice to see that you are more interested in status quo than producing ideas for player retention.
1

brainbomb
Posts: 15597
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 4358

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1042 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:55 pm

if me posting less than 100 times a day solved our problems of players leaving; I of course would do that
2

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 9619
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 2079

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1043 Post by ghug » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:02 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:55 pm
if me posting less than 100 times a day solved our problems of players leaving; I of course would do that
Of the people who said they left because people talked too much, how many were repeat players without inactivity issues?
3

Bonatogether
Posts: 2311
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 294
Contact:

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1044 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:34 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:27 am
I like talking, I like useless conversation, so I think I probably prefer night chat on. However, I am about to play a game with no night chat so I'll see what I think of that.
i played a no night chat game and it was annoying

Bonatogether
Posts: 2311
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 294
Contact:

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1045 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:35 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 pm
150 posts per day phase maximum is also an option ive seen used on some forums.
this also was annoying to deal with

brainbomb
Posts: 15597
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 4358

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1046 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:51 pm

ghug wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:02 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:55 pm
if me posting less than 100 times a day solved our problems of players leaving; I of course would do that
Of the people who said they left because people talked too much, how many were repeat players without inactivity issues?
several were current webdip mods. who said the games were enormus, too many roles, and didnt like specific attitudes and posting habits
1

brainbomb
Posts: 15597
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 4358

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1047 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:52 pm

others left our community to play in “better” places
1

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 pm
Location: Allentown, PA, USA
Karma: 2500

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1048 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:14 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:39 pm
It seems to me that brain's point has merit in this way... there IS a lot of writing in this game. Sometimes an overwhelming amount.

I just don't see, myself, that ending night-posting is the best way to solve this 'problem.' If it is a real difficulty that our game thread is so full... write less. Right? But no one wants that. It defeats the purpose of the game.
I've tried the "write less" method and been routinely accused of lurking for the last 7 years, so.
2

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 pm
Location: Allentown, PA, USA
Karma: 2500

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1049 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 pm

I have to agree with the sentiment brain is giving here. I have often felt that many members in our mafia community are more interested in being superior and smug than having a fun game. We have players who write novellas every day and act like anyone who doesn't do so is wrong and bad.

At the moment I am planning to retire from WebDip Mafia after I run M69 as it's not really that enjoyable any more.
3

snowy801
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:47 am
Karma: 553

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1050 Post by snowy801 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:29 pm

I have to agree with the sentiment brain is giving here. I have often felt that many members in our mafia community are more interested in being superior and smug than having a fun game. We have players who write novellas every day and act like anyone who doesn't do so is wrong and bad.
I vaguely recall this being the reason why I stopped playing here. That, and I sometimes felt that I was falling into the same trap myself, which not to make excuses but I felt that my own behavior was being influenced by the attitude prevalent in these forums.

I remember reading my very first game here and my last in comparison, and the differences were stark.

That being said, I don't want to turn night chat off.
1

worcej
Posts: 7319
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 am
Location: Washington
Karma: 2373

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1051 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:58 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:39 pm
It seems to me that brain's point has merit in this way... there IS a lot of writing in this game. Sometimes an overwhelming amount.

I just don't see, myself, that ending night-posting is the best way to solve this 'problem.' If it is a real difficulty that our game thread is so full... write less. Right? But no one wants that. It defeats the purpose of the game.
I think our typical prolific posters, which includes myself when I am being a troll/catching up, should work to increase their word counts per post to try to drive the number of posts created down (thus lowering the catch up requirement) to a manageable level.

This would be a much better effective solution instead of completely adjusting our typical game design.
1

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 4578
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 4680
Contact:

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1052 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 pm

This is not a new 'complaint' about our site. I don't believe it has much to do with post counts.

I think it has to do with manners.

Not easy (if even possible) to legislate.

Self patrol would work.

Something seems to happen in the game where people who are 'pleasant' in other conversations suddenly (or gradually) seem to become embroiled in flare-ups.

I believe, as I have stated before unpersuasively, that it has to do with how we listen more than how we speak.

Not condoning some of the speech issues... but how we react makes more differrence. It would vastly improve the tone in our competitive emotional long-memory games.
3

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 9619
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 2079

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1053 Post by ghug » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 pm
I have to agree with the sentiment brain is giving here. I have often felt that many members in our mafia community are more interested in being superior and smug than having a fun game. We have players who write novellas every day and act like anyone who doesn't do so is wrong and bad.

At the moment I am planning to retire from WebDip Mafia after I run M69 as it's not really that enjoyable any more.
I'm pretty sure I'm being called out here, but this is a mischaracterization of my viewpoint. I'm not expecting anyone to contribute as much as me (I talk a lot), but I'm order to determine if a player is town or not, we need them to interact and share their opinions. If we're not getting at least that baseline, we either have to kill them at some point based purely on process of elimination, or let them survive to the end on the risk that they're hiding in plain sight. M66 had plenty of people alive the whole game (6 days) in the 200-400 post range. The final three in M67 (7 days) had under 400 posts combined. People can contribute adequately with those levels of activity, and I don't see someone like Rd, who's consistently on the low activity side of the spectrum, being treated like he doesn't do enough. The problem is with people who refuse to engage at all.
3

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 4578
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 4680
Contact:

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1054 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:11 pm

ghug's point is a good one.
We miss read words/play etc.
We assume just being mean or whatever is just being mean.
It's a game ploy.

It's easy to see in ghug, more than others.
He is (fairly) pleasant outside of the game.

Inside he is pushy, rude, and pushes buttons that he knows.

I HATE it when he does it to me.

But I accept it as a game ploy, even though i don't 'approve.'
1

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 4578
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 4680
Contact:

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1055 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm

(not EXACTLY the point ghug was making... but I don't care, because it let me make my point again about READING people's actions/words... and it's value over arguing extensively over where exactly the line is that we must not cross.)

(Yes, there IS a line. But it is one of the worst things about being on the council. Everyone has their own idea where CLEARLY the line is.)
1

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 pm
Location: Allentown, PA, USA
Karma: 2500

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1056 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm

Well, I can only get called an idiot, bad, etc. and get Day 1'd so many times before I'm just done, and I've reached that point. After last game I logged out of the site and wasn't planning to ever log back in, but I wanted one last hurrah to play with everyone, and I do want to run M69 still, but after that, I think I'm gone.
1

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 4578
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 4680
Contact:

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1057 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm
Well, I can only get called an idiot, bad, etc. and get Day 1'd so many times before I'm just done, and I've reached that point. After last game I logged out of the site and wasn't planning to ever log back in, but I wanted one last hurrah to play with everyone, and I do want to run M69 still, but after that, I think I'm gone.
Yes, Chaqa... I SOOOOOOO see that.
Part of it, I am saying, is that folk know to push that button for you. to gauge your reaction.

I do NOT personally (or really councilly) approve that tactic. But I see it, and understand it.

I don't think you are an idiot, bad, ugly, or a bad driver of your car, whatever it is. And I don't really think anyone does.
1

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 9619
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 2079

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1058 Post by ghug » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm
Well, I can only get called an idiot, bad, etc. and get Day 1'd so many times before I'm just done, and I've reached that point. After last game I logged out of the site and wasn't planning to ever log back in, but I wanted one last hurrah to play with everyone, and I do want to run M69 still, but after that, I think I'm gone.
To be fair, you only got D1ed last game because I needed a wagon to save a teammate and I knew it was within my range to memekill you .

I know I've been frustrated with you recently because you've shown a lot of effort as scum that it feels like you're not showing as town, but I don't think you're an idiot or even bad at the game, and it would be a bummer to see you leave.
4

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 pm
Location: Allentown, PA, USA
Karma: 2500

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1059 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 pm

ghug wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:29 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm
Well, I can only get called an idiot, bad, etc. and get Day 1'd so many times before I'm just done, and I've reached that point. After last game I logged out of the site and wasn't planning to ever log back in, but I wanted one last hurrah to play with everyone, and I do want to run M69 still, but after that, I think I'm gone.
To be fair, you only got D1ed last game because I needed a wagon to save a teammate and I knew it was within my range to memekill you .

I know I've been frustrated with you recently because you've shown a lot of effort as scum that it feels like you're not showing as town, but I don't think you're an idiot or even bad at the game, and it would be a bummer to see you leave.
It's a bit difficult to put effort in as town when I die Day 1.

Plus, my idea of putting in effort doesn't mean writing a novel every page of the game. I don't feel the need to spout every thought I had and cross-check and reference everything to make sure it's up to everyone's standards. My reads are usually pretty good, but there's a meme that I'm bad so no one listens, instead deferring to whatever harebrained idea people like HR, you, Balki, or Flum come up with, because they're "good" players.

What's done is done. I'm over it all.
2

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 16544
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 7442
Contact:

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#1060 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 pm

Chaqa, you're a valued member of the community. I'd also hate to see you leave. Sometimes taking a break is good for us though. Looking forward to M69.
3

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests