Forum Public Press Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#221 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:32 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:05 pm
The other option, of course, is to full on attack Russia and work with Germany in that regard - convoy to Norway and Barents - to which then I'd hope the German succeeds in bouncing Sweden. Russia's gone south, so it's not as implausible for this to go well.
I don't think England should even consider this option. Russia and England are great friends and it's working out for the best for both of them. Don't break something that's working

Claesar

#222 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:47 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:32 pm
I don't think England should even consider this option. Russia and England are great friends and it's working out for the best for both of them. Don't break something that's working
Great friends after a single move and no press exchanged? Good story, Russia.

e.m.c^42

#223 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Claesar wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:47 pm
goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:32 pm
Great friends after a single move and no press exchanged? Good story, Russia.
Says the Turk, lol

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#224 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:58 pm

Hey man, if you ain't enemies, you're friends.

Also, I will now roleplay the rest of this game as a Trump-esque head of state.

England and Russia have a a great, beautiful, historic partnership. Some would say Anglo-Russian relations are at their highest point, ever. Period. Claesar over here would like everyone to believe things are bad, but that's just because he's a LOSER. CRAPPY-CLAES can't even get a DMZ to be honored. Embarrassing! Cofvefe

e.m.c^42

#225 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 pm

Huh, France

Claesar

#226 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:46 pm

Good job, Austria! Covering Bud/Vie is for suckers.

This does narrow my options down a lot though. I'm either England, Germany or Austria. Everyone else made moves I wouldn't have. Well, maybe Italy, but that's not what I predicted so it's not me.

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#227 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Well, there goes precisely all of my credibility. I guess I'm outed as a member of the comedy crowd.

Terrible terrible moves by R and T. I gave ya guys so many options on optimal strategies so you could hide. And France? That was possibly the second worst move you could have made. The worst being moving back to Brest

Claesar

#228 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Time to apologise, Italy..

I agree, Goldie, Wales is terrible. I think it's worse than Brest though. Now you're at war for no good reason.. The -1 centre stab..

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#229 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Well, my ploy seemed to work. I knew as France in the English Channel, I would have difficulties getting an ally in France, and Germany would likely be hesitant to ally with me as well since I stood more to gain from Englands downfall than he did. So I figured the best way for me to get an ally was to drive a wedge between Germany and England and have them both trying to win my friendship. Since no one had claimed Germany, it was too easy posing as them for a turn in order to make sure England did not trust Germany and hopefully convince Germany to go all in with me.
The worst part is that I didn't trust that my ploy would work and I left Belgium open :cry:
Okay Germany, bouncing Russia and England wasn't great for you, but if you build a fleet I'll consider keeping you around.
England, Im sorry I have been playing you, but on the bright side I'm in Burgundy and with the correct press and moves I could be convinced to push Burgundy further into Germany.

TheFlyingBoat

#230 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 pm

Claesar wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 pm
Time to apologise, Italy..

I agree, Goldie, Wales is terrible. I think it's worse than Brest though. Now you're at war for no good reason.. The -1 centre stab..
My view here was that either Austria makes the right guess and there is no reason to bother with a Lepanto with a dead Austria against a juggernaut so I better kill Austria fast and hope for a Wintergreen/Penne a la vodka or an I/T (not sure of any cool names for that) OR Austria guesses correctly and I get bounced as well so no harm no foul. Austria held and nothing bad happened. I'm still down for a Lepanto if Austria is.

e.m.c^42

#231 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Well, my ploy seemed to work. I knew as France in the English Channel, I would have difficulties getting an ally in France, and Germany would likely be hesitant to ally with me as well since I stood more to gain from Englands downfall than he did. So I figured the best way for me to get an ally was to drive a wedge between Germany and England and have them both trying to win my friendship. Since no one had claimed Germany, it was too easy posing as them for a turn in order to make sure England did not trust Germany and hopefully convince Germany to go all in with me.
The worst part is that I didn't trust that my ploy would work and I left Belgium open :cry:
Okay Germany, bouncing Russia and England wasn't great for you, but if you build a fleet I'll consider keeping you around.
England, Im sorry I have been playing you, but on the bright side I'm in Burgundy and with the correct press and moves I could be convinced to push Burgundy further into Germany.
Yeah, nah. Very few of us would've gone for that France move lol, and I have doubts that you'd do it to throw off.

e.m.c^42

#232 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:12 pm

I'm starting to think an English/German working relationship may end up better lmao

e.m.c^42

#233 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:14 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:49 pm
Well, there goes precisely all of my credibility. I guess I'm outed as a member of the comedy crowd.

Terrible terrible moves by R and T. I gave ya guys so many options on optimal strategies so you could hide. And France? That was possibly the second worst move you could have made. The worst being moving back to Brest
Hey, you could always be France trying to throw us all off into thinking you're noobish and a different person, and trusting in the fact that I'm an incredibly lenient player that would take Wales as not an act of war ;p

e.m.c^42

#234 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:18 pm

Claesar wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:46 pm
but that's not what I predicted so it's not me.
:o

'Tis a confession I see, is it?

e.m.c^42

#235 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:19 pm

But along the same lines, yeah, I can't pull off being France anymore lol

Minister of Silly Walks

#236 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:19 am

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:58 pm

England and Russia have a a great, beautiful, historic partnership. Some would say Anglo-Russian relations are at their highest point, ever. Period.
As a Russian (not the Tsar, just a real regular Russian), I would say this statement is largely incorrect; the traditional axis of alliances in Europe for XVIII and most of XIX centuries was France-Austria-Russia and England-Germany. Russia and England fought as recently as the Crimean War of 1854-1855, and conflicted each other in Central Asia until the turn of the century. The change came about only after England broke the traditional ties with Germany and aligned with France, not long before WW1.

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#237 Post by goldfinger0303 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:30 am

Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:19 am
goldfinger0303 wrote:

England and Russia have a a great, beautiful, historic partnership. Some would say Anglo-Russian relations are at their highest point, ever. Period.
As a Russian (not the Tsar, just a real regular Russian), I would say this statement is largely incorrect; the traditional axis of alliances in Europe for XVIII and most of XIX centuries was France-Austria-Russia and England-Germany. Russia and England fought as recently as the Crimean War of 1854-1855, and conflicted each other in Central Asia until the turn of the century. The change came about only after England broke the traditional ties with Germany and aligned with France, not long before WW1.
I'm aware of the fact incorrectness of my statement. I did say I was parodying Trump, after all.

Minister of Silly Walks

#238 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:51 am

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:30 am
Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:19 am
goldfinger0303 wrote:

I'm aware of the fact incorrectness of my statement. I did say I was parodying Trump, after all.
Sorry, don't follow any news so I didn't get that.

Claesar

#239 Post by Claesar » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:57 am

Since this is apparently a low-level game, I'll turn my post into a School of War. Scroll down for tl;dr.

I'm going for alphabetical order again.

Austria - MOSW? - A

You grabbed both of your centres and dodged two bullets. You correctly stayed away from Galicia and did not get punished for it. I would recommend building two armies rather than waiving..

Don't be a mute though! You can work together well with Turkey here, but shouldn't fight both Russia and Italy simultaneously. Find an ally that's mutually beneficial.

England - EMC? - C

Not bouncing Channel was a blunder. I like that you've bounced Holland, but you also had to convince France to go to Belgium. Make one of F/G your ally. Can't do this alone. You should be talking right now!

If it's France, can you find a safe way not to build a fleet in Liverpool? If it's Germany, can you convince them to build an army rather than a fleet?

France - TMOSW? - F

The rating is lower than fair, but I'm just appalled by your move to Wales. You had a great position but pissed it all away. When you stab someone, you should make sure they can't hurt you back. Instead, you just gave up a centre to anger a neighbour without any benefit. I think you need to retreat that fleet rather than bang your head against a wall. Think about a plan and then act on it.

Germany - Squigs? - C

I don't hate your spot. France is in Wales. Who cares about a centre now? Position is more important.

Personally, I'd build an army in Berlin and force Holland. Choose an ally next year from E/F. You hold the ace.

Italy - FlyingBoat? - B

A cheeky move to Trieste. To be honest, I actually like it. If you can make up with Austria now! Since no one else seems to be attacking Austria, that's not a fight you want to pick. Explain in some detail how cooperation will be mutually beneficial. If you wish to attack Austria, get Turkey onboard. I'd build a fleet anyway though. In Rome, if you wish to placate Turkey.

Russia - Temasek? - F

This may seem harsh, but it isn't. Your position is far worse than it looks. You don't have an ally anywhere, which means you will die quickly. At least you learned something though, and it's not too late.

North: England and Germany bounced. There's hope. You should be posting right now! Where are you?! Either help England and France to make peace so England will support you into Sweden in return for support to Denmark OR get German support in return for help against England. Do something!

East: This is bad. You chose a short-term plan that bites you in the long term, by supporting Rumania to hold. What good is a centre now, if you lose it the year after? Take a chance to solidify your poisition instead. You can't be of use to Turkey while having a fleet in Rumania. It can't support to Serbia. Rotate if you wish to work with Turkey. Another option is to work with Austria, but how will you do that while there's an army in Galicia? You must find an ally before this build phase is over! Don't wait!

Turkey - Goldfinger? - B

Your 'guess' didn't pay off and I don't see the Russian moveset it would've been good against. Nonetheless, I'm glad you tried something. You also get extra rating for the Italian move to Trieste. Now get that coveted 5th centre and solidify an alliance.

PS: You'll notice I didn't include myself, even though I'm in this game. I know for a fact one of these player predictions is wrong, but why would I tell you?

tl;dr: Your moves sucked because you're not putting the necessary effort into this game. You think it's a Gunboat but it's Public Press. Use the resources available!

Minister of Silly Walks

#240 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:13 pm

Claesar wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:57 am

Austria - MOSW? - A

You grabbed both of your centres and dodged two bullets. You correctly stayed away from Galicia and did not get punished for it. I would recommend building two armies rather than waiving..

Don't be a mute though! You can work together well with Turkey here, but shouldn't fight both Russia and Italy simultaneously. Find an ally that's mutually beneficial.

I don't think anybody is impersonating Turkey yet, so I just don't know whom to negotiate with.

Also, you don't seem to have ever included yourself in the list of potential players, even though it is assumed for a fact that you do participate.

-with due respect, k.u.k. Minister of Silly Walks.