Forum Public Press Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
e.m.c^42

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#281 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:10 am

We can likely work on the assumption that France moves back to English Channel with support, as there's nothing I can quite do about it at the moment. As such, Germany, what do you think of supporting me into Belgium? France only has the Burgundy army adjacent currently, so there's not much they can do, ne?

Holland naturally goes to you (I won't apologise for bouncing, but the situation has changed with additional info :D), and from there on we can work out way southwest.

e.m.c^42

#282 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:15 am

Of course, this is operating under the assumption that France is at the very least a decently mediocre player like me lmao. There's always the option that the next round reveals to be something like Wales to London and Brest to Engchan, banking on if I convoy to Belgium or not.

e.m.c^42

#283 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:16 am

Of course, what I hope for is perhaps MAO and Engchan, at a large stretch Irish Sea, but it looks less and less likely.

e.m.c^42

#284 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:18 am

Not gonna lie, I still find it difficult to believe France misordered, as these are pretty long phase lengths, especially compared to a live game where such a situation is more likely to occur.

e.m.c^42

#285 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:21 am

Sleep missing brain however is tinfoiling that Goldfing is France who suspected Claes was Germany and therefore intentionally threw off all suspicion by entering seemingly moronic moves, and is setting up for some strategically scheming master plan.

e.m.c^42

#286 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:25 am

Will say this though, if it turns out post game that a majority of the players in-game are not even reading press thread, if I run this again I will do it as a GM and pick invites, lmao

e.m.c^42

#287 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:31 am

Just occurred to me though, that the one very good thing is that we can be pretty sure jmo is not in the game because none of these moves would've been made by him lmao. We can rest safe in that info

e.m.c^42

#288 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:32 am

And I am feeling that I sound repetitive in structure so departure I shall, hope to see at least a few replies on return :D

ItsHosuke

#289 Post by ItsHosuke » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:08 am

Claesar wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:35 am
ItsHosuke wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:30 am
Bingo! Not much I could do. Every country either had a solid claimant or had weird moves.
Could you please do press for Turkey? Moves haven't been weird, but it really needs more press. I'm very serious. I'll give you an extra point of grade and excuse one misorder.
I just saw this post and I was about to do so, but TMOSW has stepped up his press game. (Also, if I were Turkey and baited Temy of all people to leak he was Russia I'd instantly go all out against him)

ItsHosuke

#290 Post by ItsHosuke » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 am

Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:05 pm
The Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:06 pm
Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:58 pm

I like Claesar France more, because otherwise I probably have him as an immediate neighbor and I'm scared of such a possibility.

-with due respect, k.u.k. Minister of Silly Walks.
So that means that you do not think that Claesar is England? Why not?
It's all about probabilities.
Given: I am Austria and Claesar is not France (the first assumption is obvious and the second is a necessary condition of the question.
1. Claesar is not Austria, because I am.
2. Claesar can be either England, Germany, Italy, Russia, or Turkey, because he is neither Austria nor France.
3. Assuming equal probability of all outcomes, P(E)=20%.
4. All other countries Claesar could be are my immediate neighbors, so P(N.ofA.)=P(E')=80%

Of course, the probabilities are not equal, so the approach of looking at the press for each country and discussing all signs for or against someone being it would yield more accurate results. This is more psychological than mathematical, so my analysis in this sphere is by no means accurate, but I got the following results, in order of descending probability:
1. Austria (funnily enough);
2. Italy (TFB is playing it there, but I would expect the same or similar moves from Claesar, too);
3. France (that was a rather convincing performance);
4. Turkey (the silent one);
5. England (there were so many impersonators I now half believe the true England will stay silent all the time, if they even exist);
6. Russia (with all the angry messages about Russian strategy, probably not);
7. A bored spectator (we cannot outright discard such a possibility);
8. Germany (no idea why anyone would urge the others to attack him. Not in 1902).
I personally like the odds of Claesar being England. He clearly hates Russia, and has wisely stayed out of claiming a particular country while absolutely everyone was impersonating England.

Claesar

#291 Post by Claesar » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:54 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:18 pm
Building a unit in a home SC when another country has an army next to it is not an aggressive move and you know it. After all this press I have half a mind to actually force my way into Burgundy just to show you what aggressive looks like.
If you think building an army in Munich is what an F/G does, then let's agree to disagree. If you force yourself into Burgundy like you planned all along, know that you're facing me as an adversary. I will not go down easily and Paris will be your only gain. Working with me gets you a lot more centres.

As I said, this turn I'm moving back to defend. If you build a fleet, we can talk about the future.
The Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:43 pm
2. Bringing the Germans to the brink of war over a move that they explained and France could counter (i.e. If Germany brought A Mun-Bur, France could use Mar and the pushed back army to take it back).
Apparently you've never been France forced to fight off an army in Burgundy. Also, what you're saying is just wrong. This is the position I'd be in:
https://imgur.com/a/FUQonW9

1) This doesn't force Burgundy as Ruhr can hold it.
2) If I successfully force Burgundy from this position, I allow a retreat to Gascony and lose the game. Or I don't take Portugal, which is arguably worse.

Now imagine that Paris army being in Belgium instead, as you suggest for my moves. Bye bye Paris!
I'll do my own moves, if you don't mind.

Temasek22

#292 Post by Temasek22 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Now that Claesar claimed France - I wonder, what was your motive in trying so hard to make Gal empty from the start? Does an A/R alliance benefit France in any way? Or were you keeping up your smokescreen?

Austria, Italy has tried to stab you by getting you to take the 50/50 despite me claiming to want to protect both Rum and Sev for multiple posts. I think an A/R would suit you much better, and I would move out of Galicia once the circumstances are right.

Germany, could you let me in Sweden? Clearly France is hostile and England isn't your best of friends. A Russian Sweden would be optimal for you

Minister of Silly Walks

#293 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:57 pm

ItsHosuke wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 am

I personally like the odds of Claesar being England. He clearly hates Russia, and has wisely stayed out of claiming a particular country while absolutely everyone was impersonating England.
There is one more reason England ranks so low in the list of probabilities: not bouncing ENG on the first turn was clearly an inferior move for England, and one that can hardly be expected from a high-level player.
Was I not Austria myself, I would assume Claesar is Austria: the moves fit perfectly with what he said about Austrian strategy, this explains the attitude towards Russia, and as far as France goes this might just be an interesting opportunity to mess with the things in the far corner of the board, or an attempt to eliminate a potential mid-game opponent (I'm still not sure whether his actions will benefit or harm France, so no idea whom this really targets).

Minister of Silly Walks

#294 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:59 pm

Temasek22 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:19 pm
Now that Claesar claimed France - I wonder, what was your motive in trying so hard to make Gal empty from the start? Does an A/R alliance benefit France in any way? Or were you keeping up your smokescreen?

Austria, Italy has tried to stab you by getting you to take the 50/50 despite me claiming to want to protect both Rum and Sev for multiple posts. I think an A/R would suit you much better, and I would move out of Galicia once the circumstances are right.

Germany, could you let me in Sweden? Clearly France is hostile and England isn't your best of friends. A Russian Sweden would be optimal for you
I don't want to reject Italian help just yet - at this stage, at least, this will bring more benefit than harm - but I am sure looking forward to cooperating with you, especially once you vacate Galicia
-with due respect, Kaiser und Konig.

Minister of Silly Walks

#295 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:37 pm

First missed move. Here goes the beginning of the end.

By the way, if someone drops out, does everyone else see who it was?

SimonDipl

#296 Post by SimonDipl » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:24 pm

Sorry for the miss, will not happen again.

e.m.c^42

#297 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 am

SimonDipl wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:24 pm
Oh? Stick around for some press, won'tcha

Claesar

#298 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:41 am

SimonDipl wrote:
Bold statement as orders still haven't been submitted.

SimonDipl

#299 Post by SimonDipl » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:56 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 am
SimonDipl wrote:
Oh? Stick around for some press, won'tcha
I read everything and i will answer if i'm addressed, but since i'm pretty new to this game, i figured i should let some of the experienced players do my press for me. Till now it works out very well. :p

SimonDipl

#300 Post by SimonDipl » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:00 pm

Claesar wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:41 am
SimonDipl wrote:
Bold statement as orders still haven't been submitted.
Well that's not me though, i have saved and readied.