Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
damo666

Re: Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

#561 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm

DemonRHK wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm
So Yavu is getting a pass on the 'slip', fine. But the straight omgus shit he just pulled, as scum, in the last game? Really?

It's a subject for another day at this point.

Ike and Balki talking about the normally piss poor cop strat of 'everyone claim it' for the box, especially after Balki said no more talking about the box, is strange af.

thd though.

thd pulls an OJ Simpson 'I've never been scum, but if I was, this is what I'd do', and has tried to sell a (to me) pretty obvtown xorx as a lynch twice. I don;t like it at all.

##Vote thdfrance
I retract my previous comment about demon. I won't be voting him.

DrCJG

#562 Post by DrCJG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am
Vecna - why you voting Bo? Sorry if I missed your reasoning somewhere.
Seconded... what's the argument on Bo?

thdfrance

#563 Post by thdfrance » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 pm

DemonRHK wrote:
So Yavu is getting a pass on the 'slip', fine. But the straight omgus shit he just pulled, as scum, in the last game? Really?

It's a subject for another day at this point.

Ike and Balki talking about the normally piss poor cop strat of 'everyone claim it' for the box, especially after Balki said no more talking about the box, is strange af.

thd though.

thd pulls an OJ Simpson 'I've never been scum, but if I was, this is what I'd do', and has tried to sell a (to me) pretty obvtown xorx as a lynch twice. I don;t like it at all.

##Vote thdfrance
why don't you like it? Isn't the best way to catch scum to try and think what they would do and look for that?

DrCJG

#564 Post by DrCJG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:53 pm

damo666 wrote:
DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:42 pm
damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm
Dr CGJ

I think light posters are good to vote for to try get them engaged.

They are as good a D1 lynch as anyone else if there is limited stuff to go on.

In fact it would be interesting to do a scum/day1 post frequency analysis but I ain't got the time.
I agree voting them to get engaged... indeed that's exactly what i said you were doing in my previous post.

By contrast though, I would actually bet scum are more likely to avoid being a light poster D1... at least I have found that when I am scum I tend to want to constantly be in the conversation sometimes pushing it sometimes riding the coat tails but rarely wanting to draw attention as someone not working to solve.
Like Vecna you mean?
Actually, yes.

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#565 Post by DemonRHK » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:58 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 pm
why don't you like it? Isn't the best way to catch scum to try and think what they would do and look for that?
Why did you feel the need to specifically point out you'd never been scum? It takes the statement from what your saying it was now to more of a 'I'm not doing x, where x would be my scum meta' which a is a never-ending "duck season / rabbit season" skit of wifom.

thdfrance

#566 Post by thdfrance » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:58 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm
damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am
Vecna - why you voting Bo? Sorry if I missed your reasoning somewhere.
Seconded... what's the argument on Bo?
I believe the only argument against him is that he hasn't posted enough

thdfrance

#567 Post by thdfrance » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 pm

DemonRHK wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:58 pm
thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 pm
Why did you feel the need to specifically point out you'd never been scum? It takes the statement from what your saying it was now to more of a 'I'm not doing x, where x would be my scum meta' which a is a never-ending "duck season / rabbit season" skit of wifom.
I guess I'm not really sure? The point of the post wasn't to really talk about myself, and more to point out that we should be scum hunting by trying to think about what we would be doing in their position

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#568 Post by Szpoti » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:07 pm

peterlund wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

On the box issue, I agree with the people saying that the real box holder never should out it. If the box holder says he has it, scum would know that he will get an item from it after the night, so they will NK him just for than reason the same night (It is the receiver that is protected by the box, not the sender). And the box holder should not say to whom he/she gives it to either, since then scum will target someone else instead.
I honestly thought it was pretty obvious. Most of the box items are by definition anti-scum. I imagine then that their strategy would most likely be to try to frame that person the following day(s), and have them lynched. If a scum was the received, they'd try to fake the framing attempt.

I'm not sure if I properly understand the function of the Oracle. It reveals your true alignment publicly? Isn't it a death warrant?

Vecna

#569 Post by Vecna » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Bo isnt contributing much, and I didnt really like the few posts he did have. More fanning the flames, sowing doubt in the jamiet/ND thing. Not a fan.

Also the posts where he's trying to counter stuff Xorxes is saying, but not really developing the argument there.

Regardless, im just trying to decide who I really want lynched. Bo is an unlikely candidate. As is Balki (which is probably ok for d1).

worcej

#570 Post by worcej » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm
damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:51 am
No real scumreads yet but gotta vote so will go with a light poster.

Of these peter is the biggest wagon so ##vote peter
I think this is scummy as all hell
That's actually typical Damo - he comes off scummy as shit early normally.

yavuzovic

#571 Post by yavuzovic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm
thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 pm
I found damos admission that he didn’t really have any scumreads as a pretty town thing to say.
I've never played as scum so take this with a grain of salt, but I think about what I would do if I were scum and that is try to avoid taking big stands and leading the charge against players early on. We as the town have very little information to go on, so it is beneficial for scum to jump onto wagons without providing evidence.

He must have SOME opinions of his own, and I think that by just jumping on the wagon he isn't doing anything productive or controversial...which is what I think scum would do.
Scum usually have this idea that they need to blend in. And the way to blend in is to find reasons to scumread people and townread people. Obviously scum know who everyone is, so they will search for reasons to read people a certain way because that is what town is “supposed” to do. Damos admission that e doesn’t have scumreads seems towny to me because it seems honest, and I think if he were scum he would have given some half assed reasons to scum read several players by saying things like “Players X’s comments here seemed odd” etc.
It's like youre talking about DrCJG, I'm getting scummy vibes from him.

worcej

#572 Post by worcej » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Vecna wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 pm
Im also totally willing to lynch DrCJG
I am also on this too, mostly due to abnormal amounts of lurking from him.

damo666

#573 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm

worcej wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm
thdfrance wrote:
damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:51 am
No real scumreads yet but gotta vote so will go with a light poster.

Of these peter is the biggest wagon so ##vote peter
Thanks worcej. Honestly.

Btw I haven't voted for you yet. How odd.

worcej

#574 Post by worcej » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 pm
I think Ghug had a good point about Ike acting like he was unaware of the issues that arose in the prior game. I wasn't playing in the game and I remembered Worcej's folly. While Worcej didn't explain the issue well... Ike's response felt unnecessarily short... perhaps he was eager to let Jamie get into a rage... perhaps he didn't want to defend Worcej... either way its enough to put him as scum lean for me.

## VOTE Ike

His box claiming strategy was interesting to me as I had actually been thinking about it earlier withe the observer/cop. The newbie mafia game had brought up doing the same thing with the tracker... In that case I think we ultimately decided it is more useful to do that when there are fewer PRs because it can allow scum to significantly narrow the PR pool. Here, I think it is more helpful for the person who sent the box to say that they sent the box 2 nights later... at a time in which the box could theoretically be passed back to them eliminating any gain the scum could have with targeting.
And then I find this...

Honestly, I'll give Ike the credit that he did respond to the question that was directly asked, but I also think his lack of contributing more to his response and being somewhat 'cold' about it all was fishy. Especially considering he apologized to me after everything was said and done.

##vote Ike - maybe I am just falling into the narrative of others, but it was definitely almost like you wanted Jamie to keep grilling into me based on how little response you made. I am always super defensive, which makes people read me as scummy, so I am going to assume it was a calculated move on your part.

worcej

#575 Post by worcej » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:24 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm
worcej wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm
thdfrance wrote:

Thanks worcej. Honestly.

Btw I haven't voted for you yet. How odd.
I know. Maybe we're getting better at this game?

damo666

#576 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Szpoti wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:07 pm
peterlund wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

On the box issue, I agree with the people saying that the real box holder never should out it. If the box holder says he has it, scum would know that he will get an item from it after the night, so they will NK him just for than reason the same night (It is the receiver that is protected by the box, not the sender). And the box holder should not say to whom he/she gives it to either, since then scum will target someone else instead.
I honestly thought it was pretty obvious. Most of the box items are by definition anti-scum. I imagine then that their strategy would most likely be to try to frame that person the following day(s), and have them lynched. If a scum was the received, they'd try to fake the framing attempt.

I'm not sure if I properly understand the function of the Oracle. It reveals your true alignment publicly? Isn't it a death warrant?
Only for scum. Does that worry you?

DrCJG

#577 Post by DrCJG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 pm

worcej wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Vecna wrote:
haha, I finally got my first OMGUS moment... why does my abnormal amount of lurking this game make you think I am more likely scum rather than 1) A different alignment; or 2) Busier at the start of this game.

Furthermore, I find it funny that you scumread me for lurking then quote me as support for your vote.

worcej

#578 Post by worcej » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:08 am
Sigh.

I have withdrawn my request to sub out. Having slept on it, actually, why should I let Brainbomb's fuckery and stupidity deprive me of the ability to enjoy Mafia?

I will not post again until Foxcastle confirms I'm allowed to do so.
Necro'ing and distracting a little bit, but: Jaime, you need to chill out sometimes bro. From one internet dude to another, you went ape-shit for something super small. BB is dealing with some shit (only the people in his simulator really know the details) and made a mistake - not everything he does is trolololololol...

Also, I hope Fox lets you stay in - we need your town play, since you're clearly a VT lol...

worcej

#579 Post by worcej » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:31 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 pm
worcej wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Vecna wrote:
haha, I finally got my first OMGUS moment... why does my abnormal amount of lurking this game make you think I am more likely scum rather than 1) A different alignment; or 2) Busier at the start of this game.

Furthermore, I find it funny that you scumread me for lurking then quote me as support for your vote.
I mean, I did start my vote post with 'And then I find this...'

It just isn't normal 'you' to lurk. Could you be busy? Sure, but where did you actually present that until challenged?

DrCJG

#580 Post by DrCJG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:38 pm

##VOTE RagingIke... attempt number 3 at actually formatting my vote correctly.

@ Worcej - haha since when does declaring you are busy actually mean something here... but, I will take your comment as a compliment towards my ability to change my scum meta each game and to now be capable of a lurking scum.

But, enough of being defensive.

I assume the Peterlund wagon will fall apart, since I see no reason to be voting him.

@ ND, Bo, Ghug - Do ya'll still have a case on Damo?